Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37

Author Topic: Spiral Knights - Phantasy Star Four Swords Online  (Read 60249 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spiral Knights - Phantasy Star Four Swords Online
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2011, 03:23:43 am »

Gah, servers are down.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2011, 08:19:42 am »

I played it a bit yesterday, will play again today, my character name is Aeliel. So far i reached the manor floor ( depth 8 ) but couldnt go further due to level restriction (you need 2 stars gear and i think 15 tokens). I think i'll specialize in swords, i didnt get the hang of explosives and gun is too low damage, wich means you can kite dangerous situations but it takes forever. I'll probably try to have a regular sword (calibur line) and one shooting beams to replace my newbie gun (spur line). Not that it will prevent me from picking something else if i change my mind, at least there is no way to gimp yourself since everything is gear related. I'm wondering if there is some kind of wizard weapon, i know there is a line of armor/helmets/shields that look like mage robes and provide bonuses against elements.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2011, 08:39:42 am »

I'm wondering if there is some kind of wizard weapon, i know there is a line of armor/helmets/shields that look like mage robes and provide bonuses against elements.
I was wondering the same thing. I have a group of friends, 3 + me, so 4 total, which is great for most games that facilitate group-play, but one of them typically won't play unless she can use magic and/or heal. This makes Spiral Knights not all that appealing for her, especially since bombs, probably the closest thing to magic, require you run right up to the enemies (or at least where they're probably going to be) to set them down.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2011, 08:48:56 am »

I heard about this from a friend and he and I had a grand old time herpaderping our way through a danger room last night. We're planning to go at it again later having obtained some mighty tier 1 weaponry via pity handouts.

In the mean time, I've been pouring over the wiki and trying to develop some equipment strategies. I've focused mainly on items that can be crafted from tiers 2-5 and made the assumption that if a given item has an ability mentioned in one place but not mentioned elsewhere it was likely in the game and missing due to a failure to update redundant documentation.

I'm thinking of starting with the tier 2 magic set and upgrading that along its alchemy path before differentiating into a divine veil and a grey feather mantle as well as progressively upgrading a jelly shield as I go. As I understand it, this should grant good, generalized protection at every tier while focusing on the two most common kinds of damage, normal and elemental. It doesn't get any shadow or curse defense until tier 5 and never gains poison defense but everything else is resisted to some degree. Additionally, if the wiki is correct about the additional powers of the items, it should provide some bonus damage against fiends as well as a reduction in charge times on special attacks.

Do any of you who have played the previews see any obvious flaw in this setup or should I go forward with it?

Also, if anyone can recommend a quality line of firearms I'd appreciate it. The only one to catch my notice was the antigua -> argent peacemaker line, which is well beyond my current means.
... and then it explodes!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2011, 09:19:17 am »

Just grabbed the Firotech Alchimer. Really great stuff, and I got it to Level 10 in a single dungeon run. I'm having bad issues with Gremlins and Beasts, as my alch only deals 5 damage to them (with 12 damage bursts if they are set alight) but I think I will buy a second gun to keep them at bay.

What I really like about the alch is that you can take out those HORRIBLY annoying turrets in two volleys, with one extra shot needed unless he was set aflame (which happens a good 30% of the time per shot). Those half tree/half machine things are made puny also, requiring only three volleys.

I'm still using the tier 0 armor, but Ill be getting 2* armor any time now. I certainly have the cash to do so, I'm just waiting for some useful recipes pop up on the merch.

Oh, and once you start to know what extent people will go to in order to purchase certain materials, you probably wont be stripped for cash. For example, swordstones and monster bones go for 1k each, Iron Gears go for about 750, and everything else thats 1* and isn't a shard can be comfortably sold for 150-200 each.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:20:56 am by Rex_Nex »

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2011, 09:30:18 am »

everything else thats 1* and isn't a shard can be comfortably sold for 150-200 each.
Except gel drops, presumably.

Good to hear that the alchimer works well - I alchemized myself a voltech one last night and haven't had a chance to try it out. I'm in the same boat as you for the armour, too, which is a shame!
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2011, 09:40:55 am »

Ah, your right, gel drops will only go for 25 each, you'd be hard pressed to get any buyers for anything other then free. Everyone has tons.

Indeed, alchimer is amazing. The voltech probably wont have the same amount of DPS (And I say voltech because my Firotech's special attack deals damage, yours hold them in place, if I remember correctly) as the starter gun, at least not until rank 10, but the ability to deal 2x damage to certain very annoying enemies makes it very useful.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2011, 10:21:37 am »

Indeed, alchimer is amazing. The voltech probably wont have the same amount of DPS (And I say voltech because my Firotech's special attack deals damage, yours hold them in place, if I remember correctly) as the starter gun, at least not until rank 10, but the ability to deal 2x damage to certain very annoying enemies makes it very useful.

Yeah, I prefer the "stop enemies from moving" (shock, stun, freeze) statuses more than the damage statuses (poison, burn, curse) simply because it's often more useful for evading damage, although I'm looking at grabbing an Autogun for its fire upgrade path at some point. The element system is not very well explained in game - thankfully the wiki seems to cover it well.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2011, 03:59:28 pm »

Dangit I don't have the materials to make a blaster

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2011, 07:53:17 pm »

I made myself a Calibur, managed to upgrade it directly to Tempered Calibur, and wow, this sword rocks ! Not really because of the damage (though it's good), but because if you charge the attack, it will blast away every enemy close to you on 360°, and as a bonus they take double damage if they collide against a wall. Thats 200 damage total on most of them, its really great because of the aoe damage and the crowd control (they fly really far away, i think they even damage other monsters if they collide, at least i know for sure that they break blocks).

This sword got me past the manor and several floors deep into tier 2, but i'm still not able to clear tier 2 on my own. I think i was stopped hard at floor 14 or something, by some mecha knights with frost rays. Also as you may have noticed, the damage dealt by monsters is directly related to the floor number, and my puny 2 stars cobalt suit only protects so much. And i need to level my gear up with heat to be completely efficient.

I also built the sword "spur", it's pretty good because faster than regular swords, but i didnt get much use of it as it was too low level to be useful when i got it (this one shoots a short range beam disk when charged). And i crafted a wrench wand, probably one of the only items that looks mage-ish (it shoots a long range/low damage beam thing when charged), and i got lucky on the craft roll, as it has a small bonus damage on beasts (added to the natural high bonus damage on constructs). Still, it seems that i won't get much use of my swords other than Calibur, because i still only have 2 weapon slots and the gun is just too useful to shoot explosive blocks from afar. I guess i'll have to upgrade spur to use it, i think either the first or second upgrade have beams added to normal sword swings. But thats far away, i don't have the materials and money yet, and i need to focus on armor.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:55:52 pm by Sirian »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2011, 12:37:09 pm »

Having fun with this. Might be able to get some friends in on it too, which is always nice. I'd be willing to put in 100 energy for a guild if someone wanted to make one.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2011, 02:40:52 pm »

Welp.
I have Khorovod, the Ash Tail set, and am working towards Mighty Defender and a Fiery Pepperbox, but I keep getting hounded by this mysterious memory leak that makes the game unplayable.
:|
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2011, 03:15:23 pm »

I've got 47 CE left over from a crafting job that I'll happily add to the clan pool.

My friends and I have been playing with a background Skype call and having a blast with it. We made it down to the tier 1 -> tier 2 gate last night using nothing but our one star weapons and shameless exploitation of puzzle gates. Good times.
... and then it explodes!

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2011, 04:29:00 pm »

I finally reached the 18th floor (emberlight) with 3 stars gear, but it was really hard. Now i need to grind heat in order to get the most out of my stuff and also to get cash in the process. Cuz you need 4 stars gear to go into tier 3. I also managed to get an arc razor recipe, but i still need a rocket sprocket to craft it. My main issue is that if you go with a party, you die more often, but you also clear floors faster. And of course, going alone means you get all the materials for yourself (and also the heal pills), not to mention doing the dungeon at your own pace. I'd be really interested in joining the guild, i can throw in energy too.

Edit : oh i also noticed the game becoming choppy after a couple hours of play, i guess it was this memory leak you're speaking of, it was quite annoying to say the least.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 04:32:20 pm by Sirian »

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2011, 04:30:12 pm »

wait a minuite. If mist energy can't be stored to be traded and given to people how the hell do the consumable mist tanks work?
nothing
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37