Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to get rid of stones cluttering the floor?  (Read 496 times)

Scheming Koala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a way to get rid of stones cluttering the floor?
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:16:32 pm »

I've been having problems making stock piles when ever I try to make a area were I want to keep me supplies the ground is covered in rocks and the dwarfs hardly ever clean it out the area even though I made a large place for them to put stones away outside. Is there a way to move certain stones in an area so I can make room for other things?

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to get rid of stones cluttering the floor?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:23:46 pm »

Yeah. You can mass dump the stone. Here's some info:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Stone_management

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:24:04 pm »

Designate them for dumping, and make sure you have a dump set up somewhere.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:26:13 pm »

Possible options :

1.  Build a mason workshop in the area, and start making stone blocks.  Or a craftsdwarfs shop and make stone objects.   It will take some time, but they'll clean out the local area around them.

2.  This is somewhat of an exploit, but virtually everyone uses it for stone in this situation.  Designate a garbage site using (i).  Then use (d)(b)(d) to designate an area of things to be dumped.  This is good for large amounts of things.  For singular stones, use (t) and then (d) when the item is selected.  All items designated by either fashion will be dumped into the garbage spot.   This is known as a 'Quantum pile', as you can dump an infinite amount of objects into a single square.

3.  If you want to get rid of the stone permanently, build a raised bridge and attach it to a lever.  Raise the bridge, and put your garbage pile beneath the bridge when it's raised.  Once filled, lower the bridge.  Bridges have the property of utterly destroying anything beneath them when lowered - though this is slightly an exploit again.  It's known as an atom smasher.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:27:59 pm by Dekon »

Scheming Koala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 11:28:05 pm »

Alright I'll try these options out, thanks for the help.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 11:34:01 pm »

Edit: Nevermind, didn't read the original post  ::)

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 11:35:26 pm »

The fourth and most cheaty option is to make the offending stone type(s) have a boiling point of 10000, which will make it harmlessly vaporize itself.
Also, all items and buildings made from that stone will vaporize. Not constructions (floors, walls...) though.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.