Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: the new cities  (Read 5749 times)

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: the new cities
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2011, 11:42:20 am »

Wow, this is going to be great. I have visions of recruiting an army of peasants and storming the keep! (probably shouldn't get my hopes up :) )

Also, if you're in the UK check out Filthy Cities on BBC2 at 9 tonight, all about medieval London.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2011, 11:59:56 am »

Can't wait. When quests, guilds, inns, manor houses etc. are all introduced, there'll be infinite adventuring potential. So many variables.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2011, 12:24:49 pm »

I think they should be less rounded and more of a random sprawling shape.
This could be dictated by elevations. Its a major pain to build on a hill or slope, look at a city like Seattle, it is built on many hills and it is a major pain to make level plots to build houses and buildings on. So instead it would be easier to build around the hills and elevation changes. All animals are lazy and will take the path of least resistance, we humans are not so different ourselves. If we have the choice to build up the hill and spend all the extra time and energy leveling the ground or are we just going to build around the hill. I would build around it unless I had no other option but to build up the hill.

Real-life towns in the Middle Ages actually had the nicer districts built uphill from less nice districts - sewers were often open-air, and gravity-based.  The further up the hill you were, the further from the *ahem* "traffic jams" in the sewers.  Oh, and when it rained heavily, the cesspools (where the sewage collects) would overflow, and the lowest-lying areas would be flooded with sewage water. 

So yeah, you build up the hill.

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2011, 12:27:47 pm »

Wondering if cities/villages are just going flatten the terrain they exist on....or if they're going to adapt to the terrain. Can you imagine a city that size built over a hill biome? It would be awesome/semi-impossible to navigate.

What has me most excited is what Toady can do in terms of "fun" once these things are working. Can you imagine little groups of thieves and pickpockets stalking the streets? Turn down the wrong street, get into a fight. Or night creatures trying to cash you through a small village? Epic.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scotch208

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2011, 01:19:41 pm »

It would be cool if it could be make so that sections of the city like the market and higher class/ more designed sections of the city could be grid patterns. Then the slums and shady areas could just be a twisting maze like they are now.
That way the slums would seam more like they popped up from makeshift shanty towns where the less fortunate built what they could with what was available usually rubbish and garbage. These weren't really planned or sanctioned by the city so they would lack the grid like organization. Of course these twisting areas could be a result of the lord leaving the peasants to their own devices.
-The Dwarf Creed-
This is my workshop. There are many like it but this one is mine. It is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without my workshop I am useless. I must use my workshop well. I must work harder than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. He must have fun before I do. I will make it so. Before Armok I swear this creed: my workshop and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it. Amen.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2011, 02:47:50 pm »

It looks like you can get lost in those cities.

Easy enough to deal with.  Simply find a tower with an eagle circling it, climb to the top, and then synch... Oh wait.

Hmmm.... climbing and parkour skills for adventurers...

Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2011, 02:58:35 pm »

For now cities looks way too organic - like organ of sth or cell.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know, the new cities seem pretty authentic to me.

OT:  Really excited to see this.  Seems like there will be a ton of NPCs though.  Wonder how world gen/fps will fare.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:00:52 pm by Makbeth »
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2011, 03:07:02 pm »

!!&!!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2011, 03:36:14 pm »

Notice how there are in this map of Paris the enclosed quarters Toady told about.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2011, 05:57:47 pm »

That map of Anhk-Morpork reminds me that cities would be way more awesome if they are sometimes placed over rivers.  Actually, given the way things happen in real life, usually placed on top of or next to rivers. 

Edit: Also, cities on hills.  Good idea.  Sometimes the accumulated layer of debris actually makes a hill under the city after a few thousand years.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:00:55 pm by atomfullerene »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2011, 06:28:20 pm »

That map of Anhk-Morpork reminds me that cities would be way more awesome if they are sometimes placed over rivers.  Actually, given the way things happen in real life, usually placed on top of or next to rivers. 

Edit: Also, cities on hills.  Good idea.  Sometimes the accumulated layer of debris actually makes a hill under the city after a few thousand years.

On rivers:

1) Current towns are built near rivers
2) New towns will be hugenormous
3) Toady mentioned bridges in the devlog

Towns placed over rivers seems likely.

On hills:

1) Terrain varies
2) New towns are hugenormous, good chance of a hill happening to be within the city limits

Towns placed on hills seems likely.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2011, 06:48:25 pm »

We've already got castles on hills and towns on hills so cities on hills seems very VERY likely.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2011, 08:11:20 pm »

We need to get civil wars that slowly tear a cities guts out as its population battles each other. This is something I want my adventurer to take part in. Rebel Sniper!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2011, 08:14:08 pm »

My first thought is the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme. New fortress/megaproject idea: Let's see if someone can replicate the sewers the Turtles live in in the series (the 80s version has some interesting ideas to toss in)  under a random city, and have 4 specialized dwarves (sword, quarterstaff, sai, nun-chucks masters with a captain which is a master fighter (optionally all weapons as well); ALT- DF quivalent weapons).

More pop culture megaproject ideas, Dwarf Fortress Ghostbusters. Build/convert a fire station (when added eventually) into HQ, and have your military kill the dead... again.

Another idea is to reproduce Diablo and build a cathedral with layered catacombs that lead into the hellish depths of the world (remember to unleash Hell as well). Bonus points for building a temple/shrine in Hell as well. Be sure to breed tons of cattle as well to make a cow level, and raise a dwarf child without a leg to sell for ridiculous prices. After all this is done, Adv. Mode it.

One last project idea, or adventure mode craziness. LCS megaproject. Fortress mode, you play conservative (go as far right as possible), Adventure mode, you play Liberal, go as far left as possible.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:21:36 pm by Itnetlolor »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2011, 08:17:03 pm »

I hope that part of this arc will flesh out crime a little bit more. You know, so there's levels of punishment between "you are completely innocent" and "EVERY MAN WOMAN AND CHILD ON THIS CONTINENT WANTS YOU DEAD". Prison break, anyone?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5