Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: the new cities  (Read 5769 times)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the new cities
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 01:28:26 am »

I did the math. Unless I'm mistaken, the city is 17x17.

It's so huge it overflows from its own region tile. Most players could fit their entire fort inside one of those with plenty of room to spare.

The only thing I can really say is this.. those cities are sure going to be !!fun!! when Toady makes wood constructions burn.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 01:31:49 am »

I only have this to say about the new cities:

Hooooleeeeee craaaaaaaaaaaaap

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 02:33:57 am »

This:
Probably the promise that there will be quests within cities, probably hunting criminals in sewers or something. I always love adventuring in a more urban landscape.
Invading criminal hideouts, running around on rooftops, stealing from random houses, getting into bar fights, exploring the Absurdly Spacious Sewer that's sure to be under the town...

It's gonna be awesome.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 02:36:39 am »

Until firemen are put in, be careful where you throw your burning trash

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 04:09:28 am »

just think, this is a poxy human settlement, what are the mountain homes going to be like? Its easyer to dig than to build, dwarfs will have alot of room.

I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 04:16:51 am »

what are the mountain homes going to be like?
you'll dehydrate/starve to death before you get to the king/queen to get a quest from them. or run out of money at the taverns you'll hit along the way to avoid said death.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 04:50:47 am »

This:
Probably the promise that there will be quests within cities, probably hunting criminals in sewers or something. I always love adventuring in a more urban landscape.
Invading criminal hideouts, running around on rooftops, stealing from random houses, getting into bar fights, exploring the Absurdly Spacious Sewer that's sure to be under the town...

It's gonna be awesome.

Pretty much what this guy said.

I love urban fantasy settings.

Can't wait until I can make my swashbuckling hand-crossbow-and-short-sword-wielding dashing rogue who runs around the city doing odd jobs and shit.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 04:52:33 am »

The scale of these things is absolutely incredible. Absolutely incredible.

Looks to be around 1,500 to 2,000 buildings. Just amazing...

I wonder when we'll get computers fast enough to run an embark on one of these things at more than 0 FPS?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 04:54:14 am »

simple: your computer only generates part of the city at a time, since your veiw distance is limited and toadys eventualy going to code in tracking entitys across the world map, citys will probably be run one street at a time.

I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 05:06:30 am »

I love the organic feel.  One thing tho, is that the roads realistically should follow the terrain the city is on, going either up/down a hill or around it... Look at a satellite map of old european cities, their street plan hasn't changed since the middle ages.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 05:57:45 am »

simple: your computer only generates part of the city at a time, since your veiw distance is limited and toadys eventualy going to code in tracking entitys across the world map, citys will probably be run one street at a time.

I said embark, not adventure mode. :D
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 06:24:17 am »

For now cities looks way too organic - like organ of sth or cell.
Medieval cities did not have city planning, so organic rather than symmetric is better.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 06:27:15 am »

The city maps look incredible...  My CPU is scared silly at the mere thought of such sized settlements.  When site tracking, inns, warehouses, job schedules all get put in, well, I don't think I'll need another RPG ever!  (Except, maybe, for a story... but that'll come in time I guess).

Also, I'm quite impressed by the algorithm Toady created, the look is very organic... though the roads look quite straight and if a few of the longer ones were snaking around a bit that would be awesome.  edit... also, how about dead ends?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

grueburger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 07:24:04 am »

These look great!  I would like to see in some cities at least though things like slums outside the walls, buildings built up against the walls etc.  Its kinda rare for a city to encompass every single building within its walls, I think.  Also things like wide main roads which run from the gates to important central buildings, but I'm sure Toady has things like that planned out already.

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 07:33:27 am »

Yeah, wow, these are great. The only quibble I would have is about the shape, but if Tarn managed to have the shape dictated by the landscape, like the elevation as has been mentioned previously in this thread, they would be fantastic. Great work!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5