Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: the new cities  (Read 5754 times)

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
Re: the new cities
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 07:44:05 am »

Is this the release that will finally give us jumping and climbing? I'd love to be able to pull some Assassin's Creed-style antics and leap rooftop to rooftop, fleeing from guards while holding my stolen chicken under one arm.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 07:52:46 am »

Fond memories of Daggerfall...

Just make sure you find an Inn to sleep in, not the rooftops.

Those guards know EVERYTHING! (except when you borrow a million dollars from some podunk town and then skip town for a new country ;))
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 08:02:27 am »

Fond memories of Daggerfall...

Just make sure you find an Inn to sleep in, not the rooftops.

Those guards know EVERYTHING! (except when you borrow a million dollars from some podunk town and then skip town for a new country ;))
HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 08:39:25 am »

These look great!  I would like to see in some cities at least though things like slums outside the walls, buildings built up against the walls etc.  Its kinda rare for a city to encompass every single building within its walls, I think.  Also things like wide main roads which run from the gates to important central buildings, but I'm sure Toady has things like that planned out already.
Yes. Let's have world tile spanning cities with their surrounding farm fields next LOL.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 08:40:46 am »

Is this the release that will finally give us jumping and climbing? I'd love to be able to pull some Assassin's Creed-style antics and leap rooftop to rooftop, fleeing from guards while holding my stolen chicken under one arm.

I would imagine that would come along with the adventure mode explorer/archaeologist roles but who knows!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 08:48:02 am »

Yeah, wow, these are great. The only quibble I would have is about the shape, but if Tarn managed to have the shape dictated by the landscape, like the elevation as has been mentioned previously in this thread, they would be fantastic. Great work!

Yeah, I'd definitely like to see the shape more dictated by other factors. However that's probably a ways off.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 09:09:20 am »

Yeah, wow, these are great. The only quibble I would have is about the shape, but if Tarn managed to have the shape dictated by the landscape, like the elevation as has been mentioned previously in this thread, they would be fantastic. Great work!

Yeah, I'd definitely like to see the shape more dictated by other factors. However that's probably a ways off.

I think a few possibilities might be to go with more aggressively squared-off cities for dwarves, and more rounded/branching cities for elves.  (Or ring cities!)  Constructions could be wooden-with-wooden doors, soft-stone-or-clay-with-wooden-doors, or constructed-smooth-stone-with-iron-doors depending on which civ owned the building, or what purpose the building was put to.  I'm not too upset by the current city layout, though -- it looks a lot like the cities in Afghanistan.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 09:29:32 am »

I just realized: characters of mass destruction are now going to be more fun. God Tier adventure mode achievement: slaughter a maximum size city.

It could take a whole real life day.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 09:40:44 am »

I just realized: characters of mass destruction are now going to be more fun. God Tier adventure mode achievement: slaughter a maximum size city.

If you survive the cityguards response.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 09:56:51 am »

If you survive the cityguards response.
their response: HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 10:20:22 am »

Well Rome wasn't built in a day, but can it be razed in one?
Blargh.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 10:33:24 am »

Well Rome wasn't built in a day, but can it be razed in one?

It's gonna get interesting probably near the end of the army arc. Dwarf Fortress: Total War, anyone?

I'd imagine factions or something similar would be in at that point, too. Join the city guard!

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2011, 11:01:20 am »

We should ready a prize for the first person who conquers the world on their own. Also, modding is going to make the army arc really interesting, we could have basically ten different races at a time battling eachother!
Blargh.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 11:16:07 am »

pretty much full of win.  What I like is that it looks big enough to be an actual city.  Most videogame cities are lucky to contain 100 people and a few dozen houses. 

I'd like to see variation in the algorithm...which may well be put in, this is only the first run after all...  Have some civs make squared off, grid based cities, and some with these winding constructions.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2011, 11:25:22 am »

I hope that seige engines can destroy walls in time, that would make city invasions absolutely epic.

Or I think I did ask toady in the future of the fortress thread if we were going to get grappling hook loaded crossbows, those would help a lot, and make adventuring urban exploring absolutely awesome.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5