Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone pots won't hold liquids?  (Read 1391 times)

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stone pots won't hold liquids?
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:10:01 pm »

I just noticed that in my .25 fort stone pots are not holding liquids.  It seems only barrels are working, despite the wiki indicating that stone pots (not clay) should be able to?  Just wanted to check and make sure I wasn't missing something before counting this as a bug. 

Thanks everyone!

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stone pots won't hold liquids?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:25:24 pm »

Stone pots work fine for me.  Perhaps barrels just have priority/they're closer to the brewery?

Also, make sure you're making pots, not jugs.  Jugs only store honey.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:26:05 pm »

What exactly are we talking about? Booze?

I've made plenty of stone pots (from dolomite, obsidian, chalk amongst others) and had no problems with using them for brewing.

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:29:03 pm »

Perhaps I am suffering from some screwed up hauling priorities.  My workshops each have a dozen or so sandstone pots (not jugs) sitting in them cluttering up the place.  But my (brew 20) manager command is just spamming me about not having any containers for the liquid.  I go and make one barrel, and I see it get used and the progress increase on the brew 20 by 1.  After a ton of scouring in my stockpiles I managed to find a pot with booze in it... so I'm not sure what is going on.  Oh well, just make a bunch of barrels for now and hope those pots get used eventually!

Thanks for the feedback.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:30:50 pm »

i think they hold less liquid than barrels, as in 10X less.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 10:32:43 pm »

i think they hold less liquid than barrels, as in 10X less.

No, they hold the same amount.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 10:40:08 pm »

They're not made of clay are they? Clay pots need to be glazed. Are you sure they're empty and not forbidden.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 12:04:00 am »

do stone pots hold prepared meals as well?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 02:25:29 am »

Quick check: are they large pots instead of normal pots? Only large pots can be used like barrels.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 02:45:41 am »

Stone pots (listed as large pots) are for all intents and purposes barrels made from stone. The clay ones need to be glazed (outside of two exceptions) but stoneware is usable the moment it's finished.

No idea why your pots aren't being used though. I assume that they're neither forbidden nor inaccessible.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 05:15:29 am »

Unless it changed, I thought  Stone-stone Large pots also needed to be Glazed to hold liquids

Stoneware being made from Fireclay (doesn't need to be glazed)
Earthenware from Clay (Must be glazed to hold liquids)
And Porcelain from Kaolinite (Does not need to be Glazed)

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 05:19:31 am »

If the brewer is assigned to a burrow, and the pots are outside of his burrow, this may result in the described situation. This, or the pots are forbidden. It's unlikely that they are claimed for other tasks, but you could try forbidding and then unforbidding them (thus clearing any job assignments) to see if it helps.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.