Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Item Harvesters  (Read 628 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Item Harvesters
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:03:05 pm »

I remember that in Minecraft, you could do traps that drown enemies, then move their dropped items to you through the water current. Is that sort of thing possible in DF? I believe there is current... and drowning... but how would I execute such a thing?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Item Harvesters
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:09:12 pm »

Flushing item recovery mechanisms are possible, but unreliable. The problem is that flowing water pushes items only if it is at less than 7/7 depth, only intermittently pushes even at the right levels, sometimes pushes items backwards, and, worst of all, occasionally pushes items into walls and such where they disappear and can't get pushed by water anymore (dwarves can still come by and recover them).

Overall, though, such devices work just like you'd expect. You drown enemies, then, over the next couple dozen seasons as you drown more enemies and repeatedly drain the trap, the items gradually get moved to a collection zone. Items are "lost" in the process, which is kind of bad because they still are kept track of, appear in your stocks screen, contribute to imported wealth, and take some FPS, but you recover most.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:26:37 pm »

What do you mean by lost? Unrecoverable because they're in the trap's basin, or actually unfindable but still accounted for?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:40:32 pm »

What do you mean by lost? Unrecoverable because they're in the trap's basin, or actually unfindable but still accounted for?
I mean when they get pushed into walls and stuff. They disappear from the map, can't be found with the look cursor, but are still accounted for by the game. Dwarves still know where they are and can find them, but you won't be able to.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!