Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What are your Nobles like?  (Read 1489 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What are your Nobles like?
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:11:51 pm »

The one that aren't already ashes, that is.  :P

My broker walks on a crutch. :D

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: What are your Nobles like?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 08:15:50 pm »

The one that aren't already ashes, that is.  :P

My broker walks on a crutch. :D
Oh, they're all *reads closer* nevermind.

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 08:19:33 pm »

Now now, Nobles are very useful. Several of mine are, as I type, aiding in removing the "forgotten beast wandering the caverns" problem and *tabs back onto Dwarf Fortress* Oooooh...yeah, never mind.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 08:23:12 pm »

It was really hard breaking both his legs without killing him. And it's funny to occasionally watch him try to out run magma.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 08:35:49 pm »

It was really hard breaking both his legs without killing him. And it's funny to occasionally watch him try to out run magma.

Why are you doing this to your broker ? He's generally useful and not uppity, very rare for a noble.

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 09:07:04 pm »

My duchess has a thing for iron and toy boats. My fort is up to its armpits in iron toy boats, but I can't get rid of any of them because she constantly has export of iron items and toy boats banned.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 09:09:55 pm »

My duchess has a thing for iron and toy boats. My fort is up to its armpits in iron toy boats, but I can't get rid of any of them because she constantly has export of iron items and toy boats banned.
Melt them.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 09:12:11 pm »

Most of mine are splatters on the side of the mountain I have my bridge-a-pult aimed at.  They're failing at my goal of teaching Dwarves to fly.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 09:33:38 pm »

I have only gotten a baron once in a .31 version.  It was back in version .31.12, I believe.  I haven't been offered a barony since.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 10:35:34 pm »

I've got two, a beloved, super-friendly armless gimp (even before she lost her arms, she was a cheese maker, now she is a...super cheesemaker?) for a mayor and my baron.

He I think murdered his wife--he just showed up as a migrant beekeeper with a son, but neither wife, nor (for the son) mother.

Now he lives in a lavishly decorates burrow that serves as a party room for the other dwarves.  Since for the most part my fort is above ground and made of clay, the burrow is deep underground, and I imagine everyone who hangs there to be a degenerate courtier.

I have no justice system (impractical when your chief medical dwarf is doomed to a beating for murder, among other things).
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 11:51:42 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He's a pretty cool guy. My original mayor was killed by goblins, I promoted the only male friend he had - my original miner. He lost an arm while mining in the depths to a giant toad that he managed to fend off with his copper pick before having a wash, but otherwise not seeking any medical attention.

He's now the baron, wields an artifact steel warhammer and wears an artifact adamantine gauntlet, artifact forgotten beast leather cape, artifact elkbird helm with pictures of elves decimating my civilization and laughing about it and an artifact forgotten beast leather headscalf, spends most his time fighting goblins, elves, forgotten beasts and crundles with the captain of the guard, 'Moldath Goodiron the Wealthy Righteousness', demanding rose gold items and failing to sire and heir or get married.

He also has the title 'the full eviscerator', not too shabby compared to some of the titles I've had in the past.

Sometimes I'm bemused by the hate Nobles get.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 11:53:43 pm »

My Duke is also my broker, bookkeeper and manager, and was the original expedition leader. He loves steel and tables and frequently feels sure that we cant afford to part with either of them. I can't really argue with him; he is the bookkeeper, after all.

He often spends time with his family in the Ducal estate. His wife, a career farmer, doesn't share his affection for tables, but is very fond of mittens and bags.
Their son, in typical boyish fashion, thinks adamantine is the greatest thing ever, while his younger sister shuns the figurines of her peers in favor of spears and a macabre fascination with coffins.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:55:40 pm by Krelos »
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 12:06:56 am »

I have yet to get any of the more spoiled nobles.

As it stands though, nobles feel entirely broken in this game, so I refuse to use nearly all of them, the mandates and punishment for not adhering to them are absolutely ridonkulous, and I refuse to even entertain their retarded notions of entitlement. The moment I get a mayor asking me to make squirrel tooth items (or items of tantamount idiocy), I kill them, regardless of their skills.

130 days in a cage because someone didn't want to keep making the crowns the mayor kept mandating, then putting on the "no export" list right before the trade caravan unloaded? It's pretty much the most exemplary example of blatant misuse/abuse of power, and yet no one ever has a coup d'etat. They sit there and just take it.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 12:56:01 am »

That's the beauty of the baron and subsequent promotions, you get to choose who becomes the baron, and so can chose a dwarf with boring reasonable likes.

I made sure from the embark screen that my expedition leader had likes that would be easy to meet, and proceeded to make him baron when the time came, it isn't chance that he likes steel and tables.

Also, when you get the baron, you can replace the mayor at will.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 01:15:21 am »

That's the beauty of the baron and subsequent promotions, you get to choose who becomes the baron, and so can chose a dwarf with boring reasonable likes.

I made sure from the embark screen that my expedition leader had likes that would be easy to meet, and proceeded to make him baron when the time came, it isn't chance that he likes steel and tables.

Also, when you get the baron, you can replace the mayor at will.
You can always replace the mayor at will. But the dwarfs will elect a new one eventually (if you're unlucky).
Pages: [1] 2