Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are your Nobles like?  (Read 1484 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: What are your Nobles like?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 01:20:46 am »

Dead through brutal, horrifying means.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 01:28:48 am »

My baron is one of 3 legendary bonecrafters trying to get through the pile of bones I have laying around after 3 sieges. I could get through it faster if I were to use whole stacks of bone at a time but I insist on making use of every bone in each stack by making practice bolts.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 05:21:17 am »

I wanted to be sure my broker was broker than their broker. He is. (His bedroom is part of the trade depot complex, and he's confined to the Burrow that surrounds it. I make sure he's got a stockpile of food and booze and a well and his own medical dwarf.)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 05:55:46 am »

My baron got the name "Baron Von Dick" for a reason. He made some rather obscure mandates (give me a totem give me pig tail fiber stuff don't export any of it i want one million things in my rooms), but in the end, he died due to going berserk from a strange mood. Cause of death: Bear from above.

One of my mayors was even worse, though. He kept mandating for bismuth items, and guess what? It's been several YEARS since i last struck bismuthinite. I have 4 bars and no ore. He caused the death of two metalsmiths.

My other nobles are behaving nicely, though. With the exception of the captain of the guard, who does law enforcement with his manly fists of death.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 06:06:36 am »

I actually look after my nobles. They do take liberties though, for example I don't think the broker has ever done a single trade in his life, he always seems to be asleep or eating when the caravans arrive.

Thanks to our frequent tantrum spirals though, mayors in particular seem to have a short life expectancy. The most embarrassing one was when the mayor got killed by the captain of the guard who seemed to have found a pick somewhere... that captain was odd. He killed five dwarves before I could stop him (catchup from past spirals and ignored mandates) - and two off them were his only friends in the fortress.

Me and my justice system don't get on too well, really. The second attempt at setting it up has so far seen what I think is the last of the original seven - and my only legendary mechanic - killed with a punch to the head, a bone carver with children spamming me with seek infant cancellations after being locked up sans baby (and nearly dying of hunger next to a barrel full of plump helmets!), and my legendary metalcrafter sent down for a year. Hopefully they'll feed her...

Current mayor is alright so far, though he does like large gems which is irritating and might get him removed from office...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 06:10:02 am »

My nobles are always sitting in their muddy offices, twiddling their thumbs nervously, wondering why their door is locked and there's a floodgate in their room.
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 06:20:17 am »

I generally keep 2 nobles only: my expedition leader (chosen specifically to be a leader) and militia commander (generally original miner or woodworker)

I give him broker, manager and bookkeeper jobs as well as miner, engraver and building designer. Sometimes even diagnostician or something.

Then he becomes baron, duke, etc.

And then when I strike 50 dwarves some random useless hauler becomes mayor. This has always annoyed me to no end.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 10:10:10 am »

My count is regularly traumatized by the fact that my actual important workers are sleeping in beds. I solved this by locking him in, so that he has plenty of time to admire his own artifact adamantine furniture. My fortress is also in a permanent state of hammererlessness, mostly thanks to a long drop and a spiky landing.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2]