Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Build cities and take over the world? (another game request!)  (Read 3987 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Build cities and take over the world? (another game request!)
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 10:57:51 am »

If a slow paced browser game you play with a bunch of other people might work, Illyriad sounds similar to what you are looking for. It's about as real time strategy as you can get when your armies can take days to travel sometimes.

The downside is that the Illyriad B12 alliance found such an excellent, defensible, remote island to settle that there hasn't been much action and it's been more Real Time Building than Strategy lately.

The plus side is that gives us plenty of time to build before navies (and piracy) are introduced in a future patch.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:00:16 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 12:28:45 pm »

Ahhhh yes! Rise of Nations it is. I'll have to look into Illyriad again though, I didn't realize B12 had a nice defendable area. I'll also have to dig out my Rome:TW CDs...

That's really the problem with these types of threads for me. I always end up with more than what I asked for and too many games to play. Thanks for the help all!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 05:09:09 pm »

Although I haven't played it, Hegemony sounds like something you might enjoy. It sounds like the whole game takes place on one huge map that allows you to zoom out to a strategic view or zoom in for a tactical view sort of like Supreme Commander.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Claus

• Bay Watcher
  • i just bite the head off that turkey, see? - claus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 05:30:25 pm »

knights of honor, is just like medieval TW, you have a great control on cities and you get special units based on your civilization and from certain regions, and it's in real time (battles and managing are separate, obviusly). should run on every computer and it have a nice soundtrack, but may be hard to find.
also, video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwouUJ-lMQU&feature=related (however, there isn't snow in the game, must be a mod)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 06:13:03 pm »

It's on steam for about 10 dollars.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 06:53:23 pm »

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I realized my first post is... less clear than I wanted it to be, but I think I remember Rise of Nations being fun when I tried it a long time ago and being pretty close to what I'm asking for. I've played the Anno games and they're quite good, but I guess maybe not quite what I was looking for for this request. And the Total War games are turn based, aren't they?

I guess the main thing I'm looking for is an RTS with some sort of overarching, potentially repeatable, world conquering theme connecting each match. I don't really consider winning a match in an RTS "taking over the world," it always really just seems like one battle in a larger war and I'd like to see more of this "war".

Yeah, you were vague enough that you successfully described Spore. In fact... Build cities and take over the world? Yep. Potentially repeatable world conquering? Yep. Reach the space age and discover you cannot build fleets of ships, leave ships to guard planets, or send ships on missions, and instead have to take your one ship and allies to single-handedly conquer worlds city by city? Yep.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 12:43:13 am »

If a slow paced browser game you play with a bunch of other people might work, Illyriad sounds similar to what you are looking for. It's about as real time strategy as you can get when your armies can take days to travel sometimes.

The downside is that the Illyriad B12 alliance found such an excellent, defensible, remote island to settle that there hasn't been much action and it's been more Real Time Building than Strategy lately.

The plus side is that gives us plenty of time to build before navies (and piracy) are introduced in a future patch.
Islands in Illyriad? Is that a relatively new feature or am I thinking of a different browser game I played with b12 a while back?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 05:16:37 am »

They changed the entire world map from generic random generated resources and stuff to a actual continent with mountain ranges, forests, plains, oceans and islands, is pretty cool.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 10:07:19 am »

Rise of nations is great. You could try AI war, it reminds me a little of supreme commander ( probably mostly thanks to the icons for units when zoomed out ) you play on a map with 10-120 planets and have to destroy the two ai homeworlds. It has multiplayer but only co-op since it works very different from the usual .

Other games you might like: Europa universalis III as well as hearts of iron 3 and victoria 2 are pretty good if you liked the kingdom building part of the total war series but felt that the battles become more of a chore or too time consuming after a while. They're all very modable so there's a ton of good ones around.

Supreme ruler 2020 is also a strategy game where you control a country of choice.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 01:54:58 pm »

Stuff that came to my mind has already been suggested, but I'll recommend Seven Kingdoms I & II (not the crap new version) and Total War series. Knights of Honor is kind of fun too. You could try some Dune games too. Though of course RTS games are heresy and you should play Alpha (Alfa?) Centauri instead. :P

edit- Oh yeah, how about Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns and Kohan II? The quite new indy title Hegemonia (or something like that) about Alexander and his daddy is this genre as well.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:26:32 pm by Majestic7 »
Pages: 1 [2]