Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Build cities and take over the world? (another game request!)  (Read 3986 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, so I'm looking for a game that will let me do essentially what the title says. I realize there are quite a few turn-based ones that satisfy the request, but that's the main problem: I'm looking for an RTS.

Ideally the game would work kind of like Supreme Commander with the expanding/shifting map to take over territories, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist, so I'll be more than happy to try out something with a world map that you pick your conquests then go into the RTS portion (if that's a possibility). The closest I can think of is the multiplayer from one of the Red Alert games (maybe 2?) where you would play matches against other people to claim territories/states/countries for your side. I don't really know the scale of the games like Empire Earth, so if one of those types of games fits what I'm looking for then point me there. I don't really care if it's fantasy/sci fi/real-ish world, I just want the city and/or base/army building and world conquering in real time.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:43:34 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Build cities and take over the world? (another game request!)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:57:00 pm »

You could try Dawn of War: Dark Crusade.

There's also Dawn of War: Soulstorm, but it's generally considered less good.
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:59:49 pm »

I think Rise of Nations has what you are describing, it is also a very good game so if you are not familiar with it yet, go do so.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:59:18 am »

try empire earth (1 is better than 2 IMO)

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 01:53:50 am »

The Anno series, by any chance? I haven't really played them, but they sound similar to what you want.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 02:02:21 am »

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but aren't all RTS[es] what you just descriped?

That said I've just been playing Mount and Blade, in which the combat is just a ton of fun. There happens to be a quitw few mods that attempt to mix the whole rts thing into it aswell. That might justbe what you're looking for.

p.s. rather drunk

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 02:03:38 am »

Yeah rise of nations is like that, although i gets stale realllyy fast.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 07:06:39 am »

The total war series sounds like what you're looking for.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2068534&id=1528482412&l=add5175376

Here are some images for ya

Edit:

When I get back in about 5 hours i'll go take some pictures of the campaign map for you.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:12:55 am by dogstile »
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 07:37:10 am »

I suggest Anno or Empire Earth.
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 07:40:05 am »

Rise of Nations I can heartily recommend. Empire Earth 1 also - 2 is a bit of a halfway house between Rise of Nations and the first game, to it's detriment.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 08:50:03 am »

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I realized my first post is... less clear than I wanted it to be, but I think I remember Rise of Nations being fun when I tried it a long time ago and being pretty close to what I'm asking for. I've played the Anno games and they're quite good, but I guess maybe not quite what I was looking for for this request. And the Total War games are turn based, aren't they?

I guess the main thing I'm looking for is an RTS with some sort of overarching, potentially repeatable, world conquering theme connecting each match. I don't really consider winning a match in an RTS "taking over the world," it always really just seems like one battle in a larger war and I'd like to see more of this "war".
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:52:06 am by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 08:56:32 am »

I guess the main thing I'm looking for is an RTS with some sort of overarching, potentially repeatable, world conquering theme connecting each match. I don't really consider winning a match in an RTS "taking over the world," it always really just seems like one battle in a larger war and I'd like to see more of this "war".
You just described Total War.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 09:10:17 am »

Haha I guess, now that I'm looking at it that way. I've always played total war as a turn-based game with little real-time minigames, so maybe I just need to look at it differently.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 09:51:29 am »

I can suggest Seven Kingdoms.
You pick an ethnic group and build up the economy around towns.  (Or move people to resource areas...) Before building armies and putting down cleansing liberating other ethnic groups as you please.

Simplistic, but it does what it does...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 10:20:53 am »

And the Total War games are turn based, aren't they?
The battles are in real-time, but the out-of-battle stuff is turn-based.
Pages: [1] 2