Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Accidentally Destroyed the World  (Read 2317 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Accidentally Destroyed the World
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:32:22 pm »

So, I decided to created a new world with advanced parameters for the first time. I went through and [i assume] adjusted the values as I wanted them... relatively flat land, a small island, medium minerals, a couple more volanos... however, when I hit generate world...

it's an ocean. just an ocean. No land at all, no volanos, no nothing. It rejects about 2000 maps before telling me it can't place all the mountain peaks. What, exactly, did I do to my world? >.>;
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Accidentally Destroyed the World
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:34:52 pm »

What's the elevation? It needs to be over a hundred to get land, and almost three hundred to be flat with mountains.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:37:59 pm »

What's the elevation? It needs to be over a hundred to get land, and almost three hundred to be flat with mountains.

Oh. Well! Then I guess '10' doesn't mean '10 zlevels high' then, does it? My bad, didn't mean to drown the planet. >.>
Legacy of Insightshields

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 06:50:52 pm »

Alright, I made the max elavation 250, with 0 minimum mountain peaks [because it kept giving me an error.], and it finally generated a world [500 tries later]. The world itself looks okay, it's got it's own Mordor [an evila rea by a glacier with a volcano in the middle of it] but I cann't play fortress mode in this world, only adventurer and legends. Why would this be? Generating a custom world is not easy. ._.
Legacy of Insightshields

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 06:56:34 pm »

I am shooting in the dark here, but I would say that the game wasn't able to find a nice and healthy mountain in your world, a mountain to settle the dwarven civilization on.

In other words, there are only humans, elves and goblins in your world. No dwarves. This won't do for Fortress mode, because you need a mother civilization of some sort.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

KProject

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 06:57:11 pm »

I have nothing constructive to add, but this forum has the best topic titles.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 07:00:53 pm »

I am shooting in the dark here, but I would say that the game wasn't able to find a nice and healthy mountain in your world, a mountain to settle the dwarven civilization on.

In other words, there are only humans, elves and goblins in your world. No dwarves. This won't do for Fortress mode, because you need a mother civilization of some sort.

Well that makes sense, seeing as it's a MOUNTAIN home. I guess I'll have to have mountains then... hrm.
Legacy of Insightshields

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 07:13:05 pm »

I have nothing constructive to add, but this forum has the best topic titles.

Weaponizing A Bath Tub, anyone?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 07:47:24 pm »

Well that makes sense, seeing as it's a MOUNTAIN home. I guess I'll have to have mountains then... hrm.
If you really don't want mountain biomes, then you can change the start biome for dwarves (and for goblins, although this might lead to them overrunning the planet). If it's the elevation of mountains and their tendency to make swathes of the map unembarkable that bothers you, then setting the elevation between, say, 290 and 305 would give flat small mountain ranges. Most of the work I did on worldgen was in 40d, where it was an advantage to have tiny little mountain biomes all over the place. This did hamper expansion because dwarves were limited to their starting island, but I run short histories so it wasn't a problem.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 08:03:19 pm »

Yeah, I like to start by a river, and I hated finding a good spot, embarking, and the river ends up being in a 50 zlevel deep gorge with 1 tile of space for every z level going up. I like to have flat lands, but alittle mountainous, because I build into the side of them.
Legacy of Insightshields

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 08:08:03 pm »

Yeah, 2010 likes its riverside slopes. You can check the elevation and steepness before embark, but if it's all gorge anyway there's not much point.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 08:30:05 pm »

Mod everything to be aquatic and make a fortress under the sea.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 08:48:46 pm »

Now that you have cracked the world Gen, you should crack the world in your next fort. Boatmurdered style.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 08:51:55 pm »

Now that you have cracked the world Gen, you should crack the world in your next fort. Boatmurdered style.

Been there, done that. (Linked thread contains spoilers)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 09:19:44 pm »

Been there, done that. (Linked thread contains spoilers)

Lol
Legacy of Insightshields
Pages: [1] 2