Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War dogs?  (Read 782 times)

pvtpob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War dogs?
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:13:48 pm »

I'm new to dwarf fortress and i had a question about war dogs. In my current Fort I started with a few male and female war dogs who have been non stop breeding so I have about 20 puppies now. I have a pretty skilled animal trainer and I am planning on training them into war dogs. How powerful is a war dog. Who would win, war dog vs goblin? 25 war dogs vs 50 goblins? I have not experienced a siege yet so I honestly have no idea how powerful goblins are.
The Stray Yak Bull grabs the Stray Horse Foal by the nose with his left rear leg!

Dantrithor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War dogs?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:16:20 pm »

In 1v1, expect the wardog to die against the goblin. You must have (quite vast) superior numbers of dogs to be able to defeat a random goblin, even if it's going melee. A snatcher is usually enough to severely cripple your little friend.

In my experience they're useful as cannon fodder to protect your (incredibly more-) valuable dwarves.

pvtpob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:18:10 pm »

Thanks for quick reply :) . Ill keep that in mind as I prepare for my first siege
The Stray Yak Bull grabs the Stray Horse Foal by the nose with his left rear leg!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:06:27 pm »

War dogs have a few uses...

- Chaining them at the entrance to the fort (but out of view of enemy archers...) to spot thieves works well

- Assigning them to wood cutters as guard dogs

- Assigning them to marksdwarves

And now you can also pasture them, which is a bit like chaining, except that they can go chase whatever they see (and of course, a dwarf will attempt to drag them back to the pasture... so it's a so-so idea).

pvtpob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:32:16 pm »

how do you assign them to dwarfs? and how do you chain them?

Dantrithor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:35:23 pm »

Assign to dwarves:

Select a dwarf, click "p" for "Pref(erences)", "e" (Work Dogs), and there you can see what dogs (hunting, war) are available.

Chain animals:

Build (or have an available-) rope or chain. b(Building) - v(Restraint). Once built, open it's properties, and a(Assign) an animal. An available dwarf will move the creature there.

pvtpob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 07:50:56 pm »

Ok well a bunch of puppies just advanced to dog-hood. Should I make them hunting dogs or war dogs? Again this is pretty much my first fort so I honestly have no idea which is better.

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 07:51:52 pm »

- Assigning them to wood cutters as guard dogs

I just now tried this, and badger corpses are already piling at my fortress entrance, along with some Rhesus Macaque soup.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 08:59:02 pm »

I hear putting 10-20 in a cage attached to a pressure plate works as a rather amusing landmine, killing whatever poor soul walks past it as well as your FPS, probably.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 12:08:04 am »

I hear putting 10-20 in a cage attached to a pressure plate works as a rather amusing landmine, killing whatever poor soul walks past it as well as your FPS, probably.
10-20? Isn't that a bit punny? 30-60 if you ask me, now THAT'S more like it!
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 12:25:07 am »

Should I make them hunting dogs or war dogs?
Hunting dogs are made for hunting. If you're assigning them to a hunter, go for hunting, as they sneak and won't alert the prey. War dogs are stronger.

Bo-Rufus CMVII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 12:46:25 am »

And now you can also pasture them, which is a bit like chaining, except that they can go chase whatever they see (and of course, a dwarf will attempt to drag them back to the pasture... so it's a so-so idea).
I've started experimenting with building a room near my gate and making it a pasture full of wardogs, with the intention of turning them loose if a monster gets in before I get the gate shut.