Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crossbow bolts hitting edge of map and not going off it  (Read 391 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crossbow bolts hitting edge of map and not going off it
« on: November 21, 2007, 12:37:00 pm »

I've built several two-story towers near different edges of the map with archery targets on the second floor(s), set up so that the bolts (which pass through the targets) will fly off the edge of the map. In every tower, the bolts fly to the edge of the map, stop, and fall to the ground below.

I had an archery target on the ground in almost the exact place one of the towers now is, and the bolts fired through it flew off the map properly.

I tested omitting the fortifications behind the archery targets, and the bolts fired from the second floor still did not fly off the map.

The problem appears to be with bolts which are not fired at ground level.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
Re: Crossbow bolts hitting edge of map and not going off it
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 03:15:00 pm »

Bolts pass through archery targets?  I've always built mine next to walls, I guess I don't know if that's true or not... I didn't think it was.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 03:18:00 pm »

Yes, they do, at least in 33b. Give it a try.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

Yes, they do. I found this out the hard way when I built an archery range overlooking a chasm. Apparently legendary bone carvers don't care about their masterpiece bolts being fired into the wall and broken for practice, but if the practice bolts fly past the target and fall into a chasm, it's tantrum time!