Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Giant axe or serrated disk  (Read 8720 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: Giant axe or serrated disk
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 07:11:57 am »

Spiked Balls deliver multiple pricks (not blunt hits!) that are too shallow to perforate vitals and too pointy to cause much bleeding/severing. Most reliable at softening victims up even through armour, but not lethal by itself.
I seem to remember Spiked Balls would act as blunt if they fail to penetrate (which is likely if you use silver or something).
The best weapon trap is one that causes red level injuries but does not kill, keeping itself from getting jammed. 10x Metal Discs work for a last line of defense, but they get clogged all the time if they are near the entrance.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 10:05:08 am »

Spiked Balls deliver multiple pricks (not blunt hits!) that are too shallow to perforate vitals and too pointy to cause much bleeding/severing. Most reliable at softening victims up even through armour, but not lethal by itself.
I seem to remember Spiked Balls would act as blunt if they fail to penetrate (which is likely if you use silver or something).
The best weapon trap is one that causes red level injuries but does not kill, keeping itself from getting jammed. 10x Metal Discs work for a last line of defense, but they get clogged all the time if they are near the entrance.

This is why I always have my Dodge This! before my lethal traps in my trapped entrance; the few survivors that make it through are generally easy to clean out of the disc traps.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 10:59:29 am »

Giant axes, serrated disks, spiked balls,giant corkscrews and upright spears, all in one trap people! Why argue when you can make a trap that could probably destroy a bronze colossus?
Blargh.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 11:02:19 am »

'cause you can only stuff 10 weapons in a trap. And some are better than others.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 11:43:40 am »

Edged weapons may cause blunt trauma through armour, but it's not a straight conversion. Hammers seem better can openers against extreme armour than morningstars at the same contact area, same velocity and slightly smaller size. However: shear strength seems less important for attacks that apply a large force on a small contact area, silver may or may not be decent for spiked balls (it isn't for spears, it is for morningstars and scourges... velocity or force?).

Agreed, which is why I like spikes and glass disks. And why overkill traps with mixed implements may not be the best idea.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 11:52:10 am »

So, before anyone else says this. We need to find a way to put fluffy wamblers into our traps, those things are deadliest of all.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 01:11:14 pm »

Discs all the way.

Also you get more meat/bones from discs. Turn 1 creature into 5-6 creature-parts, each one able to be butchered on its own.

Downside to this is that you need some sort of shielding for the flying gibs. If its a creature with poisonous blood you're probably going to be in serious trouble due to the amount of gore splattered everywhere.

Now I want to make a trap coridor with a constant 3/7 water flow and clear glass serrated disks.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 01:18:12 pm »

Just dump some emerald dye into the water. Why bother with clear glass?

Also, I use green glass corkscrews. I just set a glass furnace to keep making them - so they end up being made in vast numbers, being spammable in traps and pump stacks.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

alficles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 03:08:18 pm »

So, what is the best item for a "Dodge This!" section? I'm currently in the middle of building one for my fort. So far I've been using primarily wooden spiked balls, since I'd rather they fall instead of gumming up my trap.

Also, do more weapons in the trap make dodging more likely? Is having 10 balls per trap better than 1 ball per trap?

Also, how long does the section have to be in order to be effective? The lethal section (in case they get past the dodge traps) is only about 30 squares of 10x Steel Disc (in a single file line), so I'd rather it have to handle as little as possible.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 03:19:32 pm »

Just dump some emerald dye into the water. Why bother with clear glass?

Also, I use green glass corkscrews. I just set a glass furnace to keep making them - so they end up being made in vast numbers, being spammable in traps and pump stacks.

Think, man. Emerald dye + blood will just look like muddy water.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 03:24:43 pm »

So, before anyone else says this. We need to find a way to put fluffy wamblers into our traps, those things are deadliest of all.

I don't think it would work on anything but Bronze Colossuses.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 03:39:08 pm »

How good is glass as a trap component now?

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2011, 04:14:22 pm »

Giant axes, serrated disks, spiked balls,giant corkscrews and upright spears, all in one trap people!

I like this idea, I should try it. Two of each type in every weapon trap! Variety is the spice of life after all.  Make the entrance to my fort look like a scene out of an Indiana Jones movie. Indiana Jones and the Fortress of Dwarf.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:17:59 pm by MythagoWoods »
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 04:40:33 pm »

I think my only problem with serrated disks are that you can't enact the following seen with them:

Human diplomat: I will help you take the ring to Mordor. You have my sword.
Elven diplomat: And my bow!
*pause*
Urist: AND MY AXE!! *Pulls the Lever*
*The elf and human drop on to weapon traps, dozens of giant axe blades rip them apart*
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2011, 05:01:45 pm »

I think my only problem with serrated disks are that you can't enact the following seen with them:

Human diplomat: I will help you take the ring to Mordor. You have my sword.
Elven diplomat: And my bow!
*pause*
Urist: AND MY AXE!! *Pulls the Lever*
*The elf and human drop on to weapon traps, dozens of giant axe blades rip them apart*

That should have been what happened in the movie.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4