Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Giant axe or serrated disk  (Read 8728 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Giant axe or serrated disk
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2011, 05:06:03 pm »

So, what is the best item for a "Dodge This!" section? I'm currently in the middle of building one for my fort. So far I've been using primarily wooden spiked balls, since I'd rather they fall instead of gumming up my trap.
For something like that you might as well just use a couple of surplus melee weapons, copper daggers or whatever. Even a stone-fall trap would suffice to force someone onto a pressure plate.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2011, 05:13:50 pm »

Also, this forum needs a better stealth color.

I know the feeling, I do.

You can use the [color] tag and add hex values instead of the default red, green etc.
A. What hex values?
B. How?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2011, 05:52:31 pm »

Code: [Select]
[color=#RRGGBB][/color] RR is the hex value(00-FF) for red, GG is green, and BB is blue.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2011, 06:48:49 pm »

So, what is the best item for a "Dodge This!" section? I'm currently in the middle of building one for my fort. So far I've been using primarily wooden spiked balls, since I'd rather they fall instead of gumming up my trap.
For something like that you might as well just use a couple of surplus melee weapons, copper daggers or whatever. Even a stone-fall trap would suffice to force someone onto a pressure plate.
10 low quality training spears in a no-quality mechanism (draft a peasant with no levels in mech to make it if your mechanic is to skilled). Mechanism/weapon quality roughly equals 'user skill' for the weapon, and strikes with less skill are confirmed through !!SCIENCE!! to be dodged more often. The training spears makes it hard (but not quite impossible) to be jammed. For the damaging traps, I like to have a weapon trap with one or two high quality discs (for wounding, not killing and getting jammed) every five spaces in a field of 10x repeating spikes. (repeating spikes can be used against FBs and never get jammed). The spikes are operated from a lever in the control room connected to my statue garden, for quick access.
also, consider having the dodge-off-cliff trap near the END of your trap field so if they survive the fall they need to go through the whole course again. Though raking up 100 kills on a -tower cap training spear- from putting it near the entrance does have it's appeal...
Soaplent green is goblins!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2011, 12:56:15 am »

Yep, the really junky, no frills weapons go up on the dodge-this section.  The nastier stuff goes down below at points where you are forcing them to walk past it to escape or press onward.  My trap areas are designed so that it gets progressively more lethal as you progress towards the middle, and if you do fall down, you have to run the really nasty gauntlet to get back up top and escape.

I still prefer having (10) individual weapon traps with one weapon each rather then a single weapon trap with (10) weapons.  Lets me cover 10x the area for the same cost (other then mechanisms).  In special pinch-points where I really want more of a kill, I'll put one axe, one corkscrew and one disc in a single trap.

(Another use for the cheap / spare weapons is as a "no loitering" tool.  Keeps ambushes from sitting around, watching their leader trapped in a cage trap.  Or goblins that decide to hang around in the bottom of a trench.)

The other reason that I don't typically put multiple weapons in, especially in a dodge-this section - if there are multiple weapons, I think there's a chance that the enemy will teleport 2+ tiles away if they dodge multiple times before being moved off the tile.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2011, 01:08:42 am »

Code: [Select]
[color=#RRGGBB][/color] RR is the hex value(00-FF) for red, GG is green, and BB is blue.
man i am loving this feature
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]