Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Giant axe or serrated disk  (Read 8724 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Giant axe or serrated disk
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 05:02:38 pm »

=Large serrated steel discs= pretty much own anything that is not TRAPAVOID with a good mechanism.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 05:29:35 pm »

Serrated steel disks: why many people think traps are overpowered.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 05:30:30 pm »

Serrated steel discs: Why many people the the trade value on most items is ridiculous.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 06:18:53 pm »

Serrated steel discs: Why many people the the trade value on most items is ridiculous.
I thought that was roasts.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 06:25:50 pm »

The price on quality serrated steel disc roasts is pretty unbelievable, too. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 06:45:21 pm »

The price on quality serrated steel disc roasts is pretty unbelievable, too. :D

Yessir, I do like me a good masterwork serrated steel disc roast, I tell you.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 06:59:04 pm »

Need to make this happen. Aluminum roasts for everyone.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 07:14:17 pm »

Hygiene/Blood safety is easy. Just include a waterfall to knock down any blood, through floor grate, and then close up a hatch and floodgate so that the water floods out the entrance and washes out the rest of the blood. If you want to save the bits, close vertical bars to catch the bits. The blood still washes away.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 07:25:31 pm »

My weapon traps usually have one rotating disc, one axe blade and one set of spiked balls each. I like to hedge my bets.
No, THREE of each. And a training spear for irony. If irony means "like iron," that statement is even more ironic!...in a human's sense of the word.
Also, this forum needs a better stealth color.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 07:37:31 pm »

I know the feeling, I do.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 09:10:56 pm »

I realize that we can just jam 10 serrated blades into a single trap and destroy anything, but does anyone know if putting a silver spiked ball or something similar first might cause stunning, so that subsequent attacks will hit better?  Do the weapons hit in sequence like that?

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 09:30:58 pm »

I enjoy putting the low-quality copper trap components my trainee weaponsmiths make along with low-quality mechanisms from my trainee mechanics make in my weapon traps.  That way, when the enemies dodge/are knocked to the side by the trap, they fall down the ~7z pit onto the masterwork steel spikes my master weaponsmiths make.

Fun fact: "impalement on spikes" is an event that ends up in engravings!
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 10:32:31 pm »

Fun fact: "impalement on spikes" is an event that ends up in engravings!

One thing that i always strife for in all my fortresses.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 03:15:57 am »

I know the feeling, I do.

You can use the [color] tag and add hex values instead of the default red, green etc.

On topic: spiked balls are pretty much maces. Low penetration; a wooden one will cause bruising, or a broken bone at best. Serrated disks all the way. 3 attacks mean that if one attack is blocked by armor, misses or is dodged, there's still 2 more. Also, cleaning bits of goblin off the roof 3 z-levels higher is fun.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 06:06:56 am »

I'm not a fan of Giant Axe Blades. They only thing they have on disks is size, not enough to compensate for 1 attack instead of 3. Because instant kills have a chance of getting traps stuck, fewer but bigger hits are even less attractive.
Serrated disks are excellent. Made of steel, they are very messy and very lethal... good at getting the job done but maintenance-heavy. Made of glass, which is light and frail but very sharp, they just slice up any unprotected part of the victim. This often proves just as lethal in time, and creates far less maintenance and hauling jobs.

Menacing Spikes are the traditional method for delayed kills, via impaled organs. Thanks to their small contact area, most material will be enough to defeat goblin-level armour.
Spiked Balls deliver multiple pricks (not blunt hits!) that are too shallow to perforate vitals and too pointy to cause much bleeding/severing. Most reliable at softening victims up even through armour, but not lethal by itself.
Giant Corkscrews aren't quite as good at dismemberment as Giant Axe Blades, but even better at delivering immediately fatal wounds through armour. Exepect them to jam a lot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4