Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Giant axe or serrated disk  (Read 8725 times)

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
Giant axe or serrated disk
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:40:50 pm »

Any ideas on which is better? my opinion is that against partially armoured enemies, the disk is better as more chance to hit fleshy part, against unarmoured the axe is better due to strong hit.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant axe or serrated disk
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 03:42:47 pm »

Well, 10 discs on one spot is basically a hellacious blender. When they get a good hit, goblins don't lose limbs, they explode into hamburger.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 04:02:46 pm »

I am partial to green glass discs, myself; I normally don't overuse them though (it's funny to see limbs flying around but they can make any invasion to easy is abused).
Exception: I put the serrated disk traps on tiles off the main path, where the goblins would ONLY go is pushed by cunning water traps... I find it funnier (and more hygienic) like that :D

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 04:07:04 pm »

The problem with glass traps is that, as I've heard, glass doesn't have a set damage; it's random each time you play.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 04:14:18 pm »

The problem with glass traps is that, as I've heard, glass doesn't have a set damage; it's random each time you play.
I don't mind that in the slightest: random=FUN! And I simply LOVE that shade of green, it's such a great complement to the red paint  :D

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 04:19:06 pm »

Why choose, you can put anything you like in weapon traps.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 04:21:05 pm »

That's been fixed.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 04:22:24 pm »

I prefer discs for the sole purpose of which is more intimidating, a generic axe blade comimg from the ceiling or frickin' BUZZSAWS COMING OUT OF THE WALLS AND FLOOR!?
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 04:23:12 pm »

That bug is marked as dead now.  I think it was fixed in .23?  Check the release notes if you want to know for sure.

I go with the discs, personally, because they hit 3x.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:24:14 pm »

Discs all the way.

Also you get more meat/bones from discs. Turn 1 creature into 5-6 creature-parts, each one able to be butchered on its own.

Downside to this is that you need some sort of shielding for the flying gibs. If its a creature with poisonous blood you're probably going to be in serious trouble due to the amount of gore splattered everywhere.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 04:35:35 pm »

Serrated discs are a bit smaller than axe blades, and both hit for the same speed and penetration. However, discs hit 3 times. One disc in a trap is equivalent to a military dwarf hitting the elf with a battle axe 3 times, as long as you have some good quality mechanisms. 10 steel discs in a single trap is like 30 battle axe strikes.

Discs also have a ridiculous value, a set of 30 exceptional and above disc traps can be an increase of tens of millions of wealth.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 04:40:53 pm »

My weapon traps usually have one rotating disc, one axe blade and one set of spiked balls each. I like to hedge my bets.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 04:49:18 pm »

Discs are probably the better bet, 3 hits for 3 chances to dismember something or dismembering 3 parts in 1 go, needless to say they are going to chop things up and make them bitesize for your dwarves. The axe blades might be more useful if the enemies came completely covered in armour. Just be sure to get those discs and/or axeblades in the traps as soon as you make them, due to their value the goblins will be coming very soon.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 04:51:16 pm »

The only real Dwarven choice is five giant axes, and five serrated discs.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 04:54:42 pm »

Just made my first weapon trap, it murdered a few werewolves. I was pretty amazed at the combat text lol. He got sliced and diced! :)
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum
Pages: [1] 2 3 4