Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Best Goblin Execution?  (Read 20517 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Goblin Execution?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 06:24:57 am »

Goblin assault force, obviously.

Hear me out here. Why would you risk your military on breaching the HFS? Surely the goblins, with all their armour, weapons and numbers, want nothing better than a good fight. I say we give it to them.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 06:28:39 am »

Sounds like an excellent defense to me.

Goblins arrive --> Lever is pulled to open HFS --> HFS swarms goblins

Now obviously, this would require you to live in isolation of the HFS and thus outside. But hey, unleashing HFS on the world.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 06:32:29 am »

How about an extreme overkillmechanism? Drop them for 40 z-levels through traps, into a magmaslide of pain (full of modded, magmaproof war-carp) while getting shot at by marksdwarves, after which they get encased in obsidian and dropped into a cavern, to feed the FB's and GCS'.

Until thousands of years from now, when only humans remain, they find your fort and a large amount of obsidian blocks in an underground cavern, filled with fossilised carp and goblin bits. They begin wondering what sort of civilization would be that cruel to their enemies, only resulting in them walling the entire fort off and forgetting it.

Until thousands of years later...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 01:34:10 pm »

How about an extreme overkillmechanism? Drop them for 40 z-levels through traps, into a magmaslide of pain (full of modded, magmaproof war-carp) while getting shot at by marksdwarves, after which they get encased in obsidian and dropped into a cavern, to feed the FB's and GCS'.

Until thousands of years from now, when only humans remain, they find your fort and a large amount of obsidian blocks in an underground cavern, filled with fossilised carp and goblin bits. They begin wondering what sort of civilization would be that cruel to their enemies, only resulting in them walling the entire fort off and forgetting it.

Until thousands of years later...
Or have a lever that opens a gold horde, a lever that opens HFS, and a lever that opens the goblins. Indiana Jones adventure anyone?

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 04:26:46 pm »

epic tower leading down onto a kitten cushion* so they think they're being executed but in actuality it is merely the staging area for the eventual gobbo siege of HFS of the survivors, if any, will go down a waterslide then a magma slide only to be recaged and chained in a muddy room full of saplings
the trick is reaching catical mass so that no matter how many goblins you eventually accumulate at the bottom you won't run out of breeding cats
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 04:53:24 pm »

My current method is a tad simple but it works for me.  I have a 10z high tower outside my fort with a bridge on top I use to fling dwarves I hate across the map, usually splatter on the mountain side, but if I don't feel like flinging things I also have the sides open with spikes at the bottom I use to drop goblins, and animals, on top of.  Simple but effective.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 05:22:50 pm »

Why execute?
Strip them of all of their gear. Maybe leave a loincloth or trouser or something so they maintain their dignity (sorta). Put them in separate cages. Put the cages on top of (long?) poles outside, where they won't bother anyone. Let them be a warning to all future siegers.
Bonus: Make all of them one-z-level wooden posts. Put elven invaders on top of trees.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 05:24:03 pm »

Why execute?
Strip them of all of their gear. Maybe leave a loincloth or trouser or something so they maintain their dignity (sorta). Put them in separate cages. Put the cages on top of (long?) poles outside, where they won't bother anyone. Let them be a warning to all future siegers.
Bonus: Make all of them one-z-level wooden posts. Put elven invaders on top of trees.
Bonus points for making the elves stay in wooden cages!

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 05:39:51 pm »

While not the flashiest solution in the world, I tend to prefer firing squad, mainly because I'm pretty sure it's the quickest way to train marksdwarves. Although, if you've got a properly constructed firing range, a bronze colossus works much better.

...However, in my current fort I'm considering a little side project to get my "A Team" skilled in hand-to-hand combat, as dwarven commandos should be. I'm guessing it will involve a lot of cage matches.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 05:43:28 pm »

While not the flashiest solution in the world, I tend to prefer firing squad, mainly because I'm pretty sure it's the quickest way to train marksdwarves. Although, if you've got a properly constructed firing range, a bronze colossus works much better.

...However, in my current fort I'm considering a little side project to get my "A Team" skilled in hand-to-hand combat, as dwarven commandos should be. I'm guessing it will involve a lot of cage matches.
To get a collosus behind a pre-made fortification, you could flood a room it's in. Then it'll float through the fortification, and you can drain it.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 05:55:13 pm »

The GCS suggestions will become that much more entertaining once the GCS actually DOES eat its victims. I look forward to the implmentation of this feature. As for me? Release them on a straight underground path to freedom, with a ramp to the LIGHT at the top...then pull the repeating lever. :D
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 06:06:11 pm »

The GCS suggestions will become that much more entertaining once the GCS actually DOES eat its victims. I look forward to the implmentation of this feature. As for me? Release them on a straight underground path to freedom, with a ramp to the LIGHT at the top...then pull the repeating lever. :D
Here we have a cocoon of dwarf juice.

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2011, 06:08:16 pm »

To get a collosus behind a pre-made fortification, you could flood a room it's in. Then it'll float through the fortification, and you can drain it.

Last time I did it (0.31.16 or 0.18, I think,) I just trapped him in a cage to move him. (Can you still do that?) I typically make open firing ranges where the marksdwarves are separated from the target by a ditch, and a bridge that can act as a wall between the target and the trainees. The advantage to doing it this way is that you can make the range in the same room as your archery training barracks, so the marksdwarves will just kind of hang out until you open the bridge/wall, at which all of them will engage the target without having to position them next to a set of fortifications. The disadvantage to doing it this way, of course, is that targets will sometimes dodge into the ditch (which is filled with implements to deal with such an occurrence,) but with proper positioning, it's not so frequent as to ruin the experience, and a lot of times they'll just keel over and get perforated without throwing themselves off the edge.

Colossi don't seem to  dodge, IIRC, and can take a tremendous amount of abuse before dying, so for them you just need to release them onto the range, drop the drawbridge, wait for the dwarves to fire all their ammunition, then close the bridge and wait for the dwarves to go reload. Rinse, repeat.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 06:47:07 pm »

Last time I did it (0.31.16 or 0.18, I think,) I just trapped him in a cage to move him. (Can you still do that?) I typically make open firing ranges where the marksdwarves are separated from the target by a ditch, and a bridge that can act as a wall between the target and the trainees. The advantage to doing it this way is that you can make the range in the same room as your archery training barracks, so the marksdwarves will just kind of hang out until you open the bridge/wall, at which all of them will engage the target without having to position them next to a set of fortifications. The disadvantage to doing it this way, of course, is that targets will sometimes dodge into the ditch (which is filled with implements to deal with such an occurrence,) but with proper positioning, it's not so frequent as to ruin the experience, and a lot of times they'll just keel over and get perforated without throwing themselves off the edge.

Colossi don't seem to  dodge, IIRC, and can take a tremendous amount of abuse before dying, so for them you just need to release them onto the range, drop the drawbridge, wait for the dwarves to fire all their ammunition, then close the bridge and wait for the dwarves to go reload. Rinse, repeat.
Dwarf Fortress: Teaching how to put gut wrenching to use in the most evil way possible.

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2011, 08:35:04 pm »

My favorite way is to put them all in an arena with a couple of upright spikes sprinkled about the floor on repeat. Every now and then they wander into one and lose an eye or a limb.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8