Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Best Goblin Execution?  (Read 20520 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Best Goblin Execution?
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:00:17 pm »

I have a fort, with a cage trap out in the middle of nowhere. Not near my fort, any hills, or the edge. I've captured 8 snatchers and goblin master thieves with it in one year. So I'm wondering, what would be the best execution device?

Tower? Too simple.
Volcano sacrifice? Done too much.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Goblin Execution?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 01:09:56 pm »

make a giant pole outside your fortress, atleast 10Z tall with just 1 tile, then build another pole of same height further away, then build a ballista or catapult there and start training siege operators.
gobbo either dodges into his/her doom or pierced by gigantic arrow. guaranteed !!FUN!!

or you could throw him into a cavern layer and lock the door behind. not so much fun there

and btw, have you checked wiki about this? I believe there are couple of ideas of labyrinths and other kind of cool stuff.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 01:14:17 pm »

Bridge-a-pults? Guaranteed Fun :)

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 01:17:37 pm »

Bridge-a-pults? Guaranteed Fun :)

But not guaranteed death iirc.

But Dwarf Fortress is all about finding a right mixture of !!DEATH!! and !!FUN!! so what ever you like the best :P

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 01:22:10 pm »

Tamed giant cave spider. As I have seen, a GCS killing a prey is probably one of the most awful deaths in DF.

Helmet snakes, giant desert scorpions are good as well, but doesn't give you valuable silk.

And if you want a truly dramatic fight for your dwarves to enjoy, either pit your military against them, or send a dragon/cave dragon against them. Fun for everyone.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 01:23:30 pm »

Personally, all my prisoners are disarmed and either executed via firing squad (behind fortifications), used as bait for a GCS silk farm, or given a chance at life by training my soldiers (unarmored goblins never win, so long as the recruits are decked out in steel).  Alternatively, give them all to one dwarf who will rack up a fine kill list.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 01:26:35 pm »

I prefer to release them safely.

In the middle of the barracks.

:D

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 01:29:39 pm »

Ultimate evil snakepit of doom... like in every movie. or shark pool full of sharks with magmacannons?
now THAT would be awesome. i think ill go mod sharks a bit and build that pool.
ofc it would need a mechanic that slowly drops it's victims into water but there would still be a slight chance of survival for our hero

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 01:54:18 pm »

make a giant pole outside your fortress, atleast 10Z tall with just 1 tile, then build another pole of same height further away, then build a ballista or catapult there and start training siege operators.
gobbo either dodges into his/her doom or pierced by gigantic arrow. guaranteed !!FUN!!

or you could throw him into a cavern layer and lock the door behind. not so much fun there

and btw, have you checked wiki about this? I believe there are couple of ideas of labyrinths and other kind of cool stuff.
Last time I breached the caverns, there weren't any creatures because there were around 50 wild camels on the surface. Stupid things were everywhere :(

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 02:06:06 pm »

Pitting them against my soldiers in the arena is definitely the all-time favourite. How many soldiers (or animals) they face depends on how many prisoners I have and how I feel for the moment. I also like that theoretically, they're given a chance to to win their freedom by killing enough opponents. Of course, that has never actually happened. ;)
Love, scriver~

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 02:07:52 pm »

Pitting them against my soldiers in the arena is definitely the all-time favourite. How many soldiers (or animals) they face depends on how many prisoners I have and how I feel for the moment. I also like that theoretically, they're given a chance to to win their freedom by killing enough opponents. Of course, that has never actually happened. ;)
If you release a naked goblin, does he run away?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 02:11:34 pm »

Probably. That's why the arena has walls. ;D
Or do you mean release as in free him? I have no idea. As I said, that never happens.  :P

...But yea, I'm mostly sure they run.
Love, scriver~

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 02:17:20 pm »

Dig out a room (3X3 is the biggest you's want it), and fill it with water. Drain the water, so you just have mud. Chain a goblin in the center, then breach a cavern. Watch the trees grow right up through the goblin's chest. (Disclaimer- I have no idea whether this would work.)
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 02:23:39 pm »

Dig out a room (3X3 is the biggest you's want it), and fill it with water. Drain the water, so you just have mud. Chain a goblin in the center, then breach a cavern. Watch the trees grow right up through the goblin's chest. (Disclaimer- I have no idea whether this would work.)
Someone HAS to science this!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 02:25:26 pm »

I think he would trample the saplings, or the trees would refuse to grow. Like the other person said, !!Science!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8