Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I have conquered the Underworld. What to do now ?  (Read 3036 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
So I have conquered the Underworld. What to do now ?
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:03:50 am »

Well, the first wave of Underworld habitants was dealt with. So now a few more of them sometimes wander in it.

Dine in it, and on it's own inhabitant's flesh ? Obviously. Relocate my main fortress into it ? I also intend to do that, though how to make plants grow in it.... Smooth super heavy stone and then engrave the whole place with pictures of my dwarves killing it's dark denizens ? That's what I'm doing right now.

Any more ideas ?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: So I have conquered the Underworld. What to do now ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:08:15 am »

Well, the first wave of Underworld habitants was dealt with. So now a few more of them sometimes wander in it.

Dine in it, and on it's own inhabitant's flesh ? Obviously. Relocate my main fortress into it ? I also intend to do that, though how to make plants grow in it.... Smooth super heavy stone and then engrave the whole place with pictures of my dwarves killing it's dark denizens ? That's what I'm doing right now.

Any more ideas ?
Do something very ironic. Like put a church  :D

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:11:53 am »

Build a giant, magma filled pentagram.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:20:39 am »

Build stairs to see what's down the endless pits of doom!
... if you can't, then build a trade depot. Should be enough incentive for merchants to not piss you off. Extra points if you can somehow launch said merchants in the aforementioned endless pits of doom.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 11:36:29 am »

Ah, if only merchants would have that kind of awareness.
What's that? With my trade goods such as they are...? Did you fail to notice that your precious cargo is placed on top of a precarious platform over a volcano vent?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 11:36:54 am »

What's that? With my trade goods such as they are...? Did you fail to notice that your precious cargo is placed on top of a precarious platform over a volcano vent?
No.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 11:44:18 am »

Nah, not a vent. An eerie glowing pit. Besides there are not vents in DF volcanoes, only main chimneys.

Edit: I now have met my first deadly dust emitting monster. DAMN IT.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:59:28 am by Naryar »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 12:02:53 pm »

Nah, not a vent. An eerie glowing pit. Besides there are not vents in DF volcanoes, only main chimneys.

The monster hits you in the first toe, left foot with a spinning !!Necrotizing Dust!!.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 12:13:24 pm »

The monster hits you in the first toe, left foot with a spinning !!Necrotizing Dust!!.

Nah, it's actually a walking cave-in effect. "Giant tortoise that EXPLODES the air around it" or "Horribly overpowered effect" would be more fitting.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 12:22:43 pm »

Nah, it's actually a walking cave-in effect. "Giant tortoise that EXPLODES the air around it" or "Horribly overpowered effect" would be more fitting.
Make sure the thing is near a cliff. They sometimes fall off when they have the cave-in effect.

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 01:17:36 pm »

how did you do it?

Also, use it as your huge evil king's palace. And make a nice, comfy swimmingpool inside it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 01:26:59 pm »

Relatively easy (but long). Submit my seven melee dwarves to a good danger room session, enough to bring their offensive skills to Legendary, and deck them in adamantine and steel, made by a high master armorer and a legendary +5 weaponsmith.

Then uncovered HFS, let the denizens of the Underworld climb to the surface, and I met them with adamantine and hundreds of masterwork iron bolts.

I lost an Axe Lord (that kept his steel battleaxe because he loved it. Fool) but won otherwise without any other dwarf casualties. Lost a few giant jaguars and a few giant desert scorpions but I had SO MUCH of them that it wasn't much of a problem.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 02:36:18 pm »

Relatively easy (but long). Submit my seven melee dwarves to a good danger room session, enough to bring their offensive skills to Legendary, and deck them in adamantine and steel, made by a high master armorer and a legendary +5 weaponsmith.

Then uncovered HFS, let the denizens of the Underworld climb to the surface, and I met them with adamantine and hundreds of masterwork iron bolts.

I lost an Axe Lord (that kept his steel battleaxe because he loved it. Fool) but won otherwise without any other dwarf casualties. Lost a few giant jaguars and a few giant desert scorpions but I had SO MUCH of them that it wasn't much of a problem.
The Rapture?  :P

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 02:40:41 pm »

Wall off all the pits. Now that you are actually defending from within the Basement, the biggest danger to your military is them dodging into the glowing pits.

Also, did you have any fire throwing demons?
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 03:42:49 pm »

Any more ideas ?
Do something very ironic. Like put a church  :D

"What the hell, when did I post in here... OHHHHHH!"
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*