Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flooding the world with magama  (Read 1240 times)

skull on a stick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
flooding the world with magama
« on: April 04, 2011, 07:14:16 am »

i'm new to dwarf fortress and i'm just wondering is it possible to flood the whole world with magama

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: flooding the world with magama
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:20:47 am »

i'm new to dwarf fortress and i'm just wondering is it possible to flood the whole world with magama
Of course. Your choice though is to left it flow off the map or wall off the map and live in the middle of a magma-sea.

skull on a stick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 08:04:03 am »

so i'll need magma boats

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 08:18:47 am »

so i'll need magma boats

Pre-build magma boats in the air (at the level you want to flood too) held up by rock 'keels'. Have a retracting bridge as a gang-plank and set it up so invaders come on one boat, you hit them with marksdwarves from the mats etc. then drop the 'gang plank' and send the melee guys in.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 08:21:11 am »

While not quite as ambitious as flooding the whole world, I've had great success dropping Magma on the beardless heads of invaders. I've found that hatches don't drop it fast enough to ensure a kill... so I use lever-controlled 10x10 retractible drawbridges as hatches instead. That works fine. Check my thread "Field-Testing the Orbital Defense System Mark-II" for some screen-shots.

Link: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76108.msg1925184#msg1925184
Never pet a burning dog.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 09:49:56 am »

Sigh, I'm afraid to say it, but it is not possible to flood the entire world with magma, no matter how hard you try.  Certainly you can get it to flow off the edges of the map, but the maximum spread of the magma has a bottleneck: the outflow source.

Theoretically, if you were to construct a magma piston 16x16 EMBARK squares in size (the max possible due to map limitations), you could move a substantial amount of magma into the overworld.  But as it spreads out from your embark site, it would begin to spread out.  Once individual tiles reached a depth of 1/7 magma, they would begin to harden and "evaporate" since magma is modelled as a liquid, which evaporates just the same as water albeit much slower.

If you were to embark on a small area nestled in the center of high mountain cliffs, it could be possible to create a magma SEA, however.  But I would imagine that upon abandoning said site, travelling to the fortress with an Adventurer would cause either a wall of flowing magma to fall once you reached the point where the sea was loaded onto the map... or, more likely, the game would choke and crash.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.