Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slaughtered bogeymen for the first time!  (Read 1505 times)

Draegur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slaughtered bogeymen for the first time!
« on: April 04, 2011, 02:56:57 am »

When they started calling my adventurer, Alim Rogonona (Alim Fameplant) "The Certain Calamity of Spring"... I suppose it was prophetic.

Stuff is having a damn hard time standing up to me! Even bogeys--trying to get me when I'm alone at night. It took some coordination, but I managed to wipe the floor with them by quickly spinning around and charging the ones sneaking up behind me. It's funny, really XD
"You charge at The Bogeyman!
The bogeyman looks surprised by the ferocity of Your onslaught!
You slash The Bogeyman in the left lower arm with your -iron long sword- and the severed part sails of in an arc!
You collide with The Bogeyman!
The Bogeyman is knocked over and tumbles backward!"
...They never, ever see it coming. I guess they've grown used to expecting everyone they encounter to fold like a house of cards before their cackling menace.
I struck down five of them before the incessant cackling faded away.

Stupid pikeman, abandoning me like she did. I'm sure the idiot's dead. Maybe I should just stop getting companions. All they seem to do is aggro on mountain goats and hippos and run off to get their faces pounded in.

Right now, I've got:
High: Strength, Agility, Toughness, Endurance, Kinesthetic sense
Above average: Recuperation, Disease Resistance, Willpower, Spatial Sense
Average everything else. I figure the highs got there from my skills...
I am a Legendary Fighter now o.o
Also a Great Swordsman,
Skilled Knapper, Swimmer, Wrestler,
Competent Dodger and Thrower,
and Novice  Misc. Object User, Striker, Ambusher, Butcher

...She's really coming along. I wonder what I'll be able to do with her once all these skills are capped O_O

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slaughtered bogeymen for the first time!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:33:11 am »

If you can, go for a bogeyman's legs first. They're much less dangerous, and more amusing, when they have to crawl after you.

You seem to have the most important part down, though: Don't get surrounded and keep them seperated. If more than one can reach you at a time, the danger level goes up exponentially.

Eventually you do reach a point where slaughtering bogeymen doesn't even make you break a sweat.

When you get your skills up to the point nothing on the surface can challenge you, you can head into an old fortress or cavern and find a way down to fight clowns.  :P
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:34:46 am by Hammerstar »

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 10:45:36 am »

Hit and run tactics do wonders.
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 07:10:07 pm »

Dont get overconfident.

I had an adventurer that put down a colossus, a hydra, and a roc, with no injuries, but was still nearly done in by a lucky hit from a bogey

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 08:12:35 pm »

Eventually you do reach a point where slaughtering bogeymen doesn't even make you break a sweat.

That doesn't seem to match my experience.  :-\

The only reliable way to deal with them seems to be circlestrafing, let one get too far from the others, rush, knock over, hack until something comes off, run like hell and repeat. I've lost legendary champions with 10+ titan kills and whatnot because I got overconfident around bogeymen. Things do get easier, but victory against the little bastards doesn't seem to be something you can ever take for granted.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 11:31:16 pm »

That doesn't seem to match my experience.  :-\

The only reliable way to deal with them seems to be circlestrafing, let one get too far from the others, rush, knock over, hack until something comes off, run like hell and repeat. I've lost legendary champions with 10+ titan kills and whatnot because I got overconfident around bogeymen. Things do get easier, but victory against the little bastards doesn't seem to be something you can ever take for granted.
Well, I'm kind of referring to the point your skills are high enough to pretty much guarantee a limb coming off with every swing, usually the head.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 12:36:07 am »

Whips are currently pretty effective, if you're not superdwarven yet and keep running.  Standing one's ground and taking them on as a mob has been 100% suicide for me so far, no matter what I wear or wield.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 05:40:57 am »

'Missinglimbs' got sick of hacking them to bits with his axe and has since racked up 14+ bogey kills on his crutch. He also seems to be getting ahold of them with his teeth and ripping them in half occasionally.

Still, though, he doesn't take on more than one or maybe two (if one is missing a a few limbs) at the same time.

I think the main thing you need with bogeymen is speed so you can easily kite them around and never have to be exposed to more than one at a time.