Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get adamantine?  (Read 993 times)

dude_ftw@live.com

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get adamantine?
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:21:06 pm »

I discovered a lava lake, and not realizing that lava flow diagonally, I mined some out, my miner died and I'm left stumped. I can't find any spots where I can mine it without lava flowing on it. Is there a technique to it or something?
-Signed The Random Noob

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: How to get adamantine?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 09:26:24 pm »

Pour water on the lake to turn it to obsidian.

There should also be adamantine above the magma, which is pretty much safe from that potential hazard.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

dude_ftw@live.com

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:27:22 pm »

How though? I'm a noob when it comes to do with the physics and/or Traps in this game.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:29:20 pm »

Well, it would depend on where your water source is relative to the magma. You might have to obsidianize several layers before you can even get to the precious blue candy.

But the short version is, build an aqueduct and some screw pumps.

I've never actually done this myself, unfortunately.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

dude_ftw@live.com

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:32:48 pm »

The only water sources I have is a few ponds and a river, none are near the lava. (I mean even above ground positioned)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:44:40 pm »

Getting the water down to the magma is going to be waaay easier than getting the addy out of the magma, or getting the magma to the water. Just dig a series of channels like this:
Code: (Cross-section) [Select]
##.OWW
>#.###
X#.###
X#.###
X#.###
etc. etc.
<#.###
##.###
MMMAAA
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The stairs are for your dwarves to get back up. Keep in mind that this is a dumb design by a fool, and it will probably result in much !!FUN!!.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

dude_ftw@live.com

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 09:47:33 pm »

what I don't get is how do I place water or channel it without drowning my dorfs ETC

- Your Random Noob that started 4-5 days ago

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 09:51:58 pm »

Using several pit/pond zones set to Pond (one zone per tile) you can have dwarves manually fill it with buckets.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:52:17 pm »

what I don't get is how do I place water or channel it without drowning my dorfs ETC

- Your Random Noob that started 4-5 days ago

Dig out the wall, and hope that the dwarf gets away fast enough.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 12:35:24 am »

Or this:

####
W#P#
####

W = water
# = floor (with wall beneath)
P = pit

When you're done with everything else, just have your dwarfs channel out the floor between water and pit. This keeps them out of the water's path.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 01:26:53 am »

How though? I'm a noob when it comes to do with the physics and/or Traps in this game.
Here's some tips for simple gravity driven water supply :-

#1 - you need a refilling water source like a river, aquifer or underground lake (one touching the edge of the map)

Important part to master :-

#2 - dig a short tunnel for water up to, but not actually touching the water source. build a floodgate (mason's workshop) blocking the tunnel. Link this to a lever (reqs 3 mechanisms from mechs workshop, b-T-l to build, then use q menu on lever), somewhere AWAY from the waters path. After linking, have the lever pulled twice to open and close the floodgate to test it.

#3 - channel from above the bit of ground between the river and the floodgate. You now have a 'tap' which can turn the water on or off. Give a couple more 'lever pull' orders to open and close the floodgate.

#4 place more floodgate as needed. hatches, both types of bridge, doors etc also block water ad can be controlled by levers. Read the wiki and experiment with these.

With this set-up you can send water anywhere on the same or lower-z-level with no pumps or advanced mechanics needed. Water allows underground farms to be built on any stone, not just soil, btw.

You can try without the floodgates/levers but then you have no way of shutting the water off once it's flowing.

Simple, do the digging when it's dry, finish up, release water!

EDIT : I just had to add, a Real-Life plumber turns off the water mains before opening the pipes. Do this in DF too !!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:36:06 am by Reelyanoob »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 07:11:14 am »

Or, channel out a hole above where you want obsidian instead of magma. Designate the hole as a zone with "i", make the zone Pit/Pond, make sure you select pond and have buckets available and a well (or water source zone also designated with "i").  Dwarves will pour buckets of water into the hole, into the magma making obsidian.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 09:09:05 am »

The water needs to fall through one full z-level for buckets to work.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 10:38:56 am »

Dig up one level and mine until you hit the adamantine. Dig up some more and mine around until you find the top of the spire. Now mine to your hearts content. You can worry about the lava later.