Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Dwarf Fortress difficult to learn how to play?

Yes
- 132 (53%)
No
- 45 (18.1%)
Depends
- 72 (28.9%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress...What?  (Read 20463 times)

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress...What?
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2011, 05:03:17 pm »

Okay! I've created my very first "Noble living quarters", and I wanna see if it's good enough! I took a screen-shot (A thousand less words!) for simplicity, and I circled the quarters with white. Everything is very high quality, I have a level 14 Metalsmith.

The dining room has three gold chairs, a gold table, plus two gold statues.
Office has yet another golden table/chair, plus a platinum chest and silver cabinet.
The tomb has a golden sarcophagus, along with a platinum chest and cabinet.
The bedroom has a 144,000$ platinum artifact coffer, plus a 6,480$ bauxite armor stand (Don't ask), a Platinum weapon rack plus cabinet, a gold chest, and will eventually contain an artifact bed (Worth a measly 7800 >_>) All floors and walls are made from Chert, since making them out of gold is stupid. Will my baron be happy?

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 05:07:16 pm by Dave1004 »

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2011, 05:07:33 pm »

Yet another question :D. To get a baron, what do you need to do? The Wiki says 20+ Dwarves,  exported 10k wealth and have made over 100k wealth. I have:

22 Dorfs
Exported 35,000$
Created 1,150,000.

I'm on "6th opal, 9, Mid-Winter"...

A dwarven caravan had just left. Wheres my baron? XD thanks

Pretty sure the wiki is totally wrong. I've never got a Baron with the only reqs on the wiki—I've only ever got one with pop over 100 (though only 80 might be req'd, not sure). I could be wrong, though—it might just have been the exported wealth that kept me back in the past since I don't trade a ton.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2011, 05:09:30 pm »

Will my baron be happy?

If he starts demanding slade trumpets ("It's CHRIIIIIIIISTMAS!"), then no, never again. :)

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2011, 05:29:57 pm »

Hmm. That is dire news indeed, Sunday. Thank you though! I shall work on increasing my amount of dwarves immediately! (I need to make like 50 more bederooms D":)

@Starver: Wait, what? They demand stuff? Well, slade shouldn't be too hard to get, but will they ask for things like adamantine or steel? Oh god...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2011, 05:32:23 pm »

The anvils were definitely smelted...I had nothing lined up that requires steel...
That is very odd. Melt an anvil in a new and empty smelter, [t] over the smelter right as the dwarf steps away, and if there's no bar of metal there put it on the bug tracker along with a link to the save. I don't see it on the tracker already, and the anvil I just melted (version .25) produced iron bars just fine. The smelter hadn't been previously used for melting either.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2011, 05:42:10 pm »

Sa'right, I made (and then melted, lol) an iron anvil, in a new smelter. Surprise surprise, I got an iron bar. I think, anyways...

Maybe it's just steel? I have no more steel anvils on hand. I checked everywhere possible, there seems to be nothing made out of steel. I'll keep searching...Could they somehow have been stolen?

And what's a bug tracker o_O

Thanks for the help man xD

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2011, 06:00:10 pm »

Check out the bug reports forum, there's a link near the top.

It would be even more odd if it were just steel not being melted properly, as all metals are just variations of the same template. Things that are stolen will get a message in the announcements, but anvils aren't as attractive as they used to be to thieves.

How precise is your bookkeeping? If you get numbers without question marks in the stocks screen, you can expand each of the categories (although anvils and many other things have only one). From there you can zoom to any item in the fortress.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2011, 07:11:49 pm »

...What's bookkeeping? Like, as in a broker?

Also, no, no "Stolen" announcements... Huh...

Oh, and something wierd just happened. It said "(name name) The Weaponsmith has arrived", and when I examined him (her?), she (he?) had the same things like merchants do or whatnot, as in the "thoughts and preferences" screen had just the bare minimum, and I wasn't able to see what she (He?) was proficient in. Huh?

Sorry, thanks again XD. I'll get to bug squashing someday, eating right now...

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2011, 07:23:35 pm »

The book keeper is the guy who takes care of all your records, stocks, etc. If you want your stocks to be more accurate, hit 'n' for the noble screen, go the bookkeeper (assign a guy if you don't have one) and hit 's' when highlighting bookkeeping, it will bring up a little menu with lowest precision, low, etc. Set it to highest, and he will get to work updating records. You have to wait a bit, but after awhile he will be so good at bookkeeping that you can set it to low precision and he will still keep records very accurate. Oh and a little tip, Generally i assign the same guy be the broker/bookkeeper/manager, helps keep things simple.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2011, 07:29:24 pm »

Eh, sounds like too much effort. Who cares about records or stocks? :D Dorfs don't read, dorfs KILL.

Thanks though man, it's appreciated :P

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2011, 07:46:16 pm »

You're welcome. Haha true; but it is a ton of work to keep a fort strong, running and defended ;D

EDIT: Also, if someone hasn't said this already, i recommend Dwarf Therapist. It makes assigning labours and keeping track of who does what waaaaaaaaaay easier.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:48:55 pm by Mercenare »

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2011, 07:50:34 pm »

Eh. Dwarf Therapist won't run on my laptop, can't tell why. It does the same thing that Runesmith does, as in a la crash computer...

Meh...Maybe it'll work someday xD

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2011, 01:28:30 am »

On top of the above, the Bookkeeper will need an office.  But if he's your Manager as well, you'll already have given him (/her) an office anyway.  Won't you?

I really do recommend getting the broker up-to-speed.  Once you have got him to get the books absolutely accurate at all levels.

You can do a lot of good stuff with the Z-Stock screen when you are able to Tab into the one-for-one listings, even for the most numerous of stocks.  Like your 300,000 loose stones, which you might quite like to identify the location of all your more obscure metal ores, that you dug out, or mass un-dump any of the economic stone that you'd previously been keen to just quantum-dump and/or quickly remove from a building area... and if you haven't had to do that, yet, you haven't lived!

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2011, 11:44:00 am »

Hmm...Well, I don't have loose stones xD. I build a LOT, so I'm actually constantly running OUT of stones...I guess I'll make one sometime, but it feels so un-dwarfy. If it doesn't involving working, eating, drinking, sleeping or killing, then it's kinda...Human like, you know?

Office's are easy. Table, chair, 1x2 room lol...Ah, well, I'll make one soon :D. All my leftover dorfs go immediately into militia, and die pretty quickly. Not many left over! Hell, even my Baron is in the Militia!

The help is appreciated though man, thanks :D

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2011, 11:45:18 am »

And the broker / manager can easily be the same dwarf.  Even in large forts, there's not enough work to keep a broker or manager busy all the time, so the two jobs dovetail nicely.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12