Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Dwarf Fortress difficult to learn how to play?

Yes
- 132 (53%)
No
- 45 (18.1%)
Depends
- 72 (28.9%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress...What?  (Read 20476 times)

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress...What?
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2011, 07:44:54 pm »

Also, animals in cages or on chains are never trained, and it seems like animals in pastures that don't overlap the kennels aren't trained either.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2011, 11:07:19 am »

Ahh! Thanks, guys xD. Those skeletal badgers are mighty fierce...I have a triple protection now, the outer (Ground level) consisting of walls, with long, cage-trap-filled passageways, and the strongest doors I can make. Next, they have to break through the hatches to get into my subterranean base, and even after that there's always a guard or two....Well, guarding. Plus several icky traps. Then, the have to go down another horrible hallway, (The dwarf passageway is off to the side), effectively removing any invaders. If they DO get past, my military eats them up. But, I still lost dwarves...Hmm.

I have another question, sorry lol. How do you remove units from cages? I want to make a gladiatorial pit, where useless migrants will go to fight. (Unless they have relationships, of course!)

Thanks again all, I'm doing great :D

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2011, 07:08:15 pm »

Oh...Another question, sorry...

How the heck do I melt objects? I press "m", and the symbol pops up, but even after three months, the items are still there! Yes, I have a smelter...What do I need? x.x

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2011, 07:12:59 pm »

Oh...Another question, sorry...

How the heck do I melt objects? I press "m", and the symbol pops up, but even after three months, the items are still there! Yes, I have a smelter...What do I need? x.x

''Smelt Metal Object'; on the smelter. Gotta choose it manually. Make sure you have some charcoal or something to power the smelter.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2011, 07:34:13 pm »

Really? I just select the items. Will try that :"D thanks again Spiral!

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2011, 07:35:31 pm »

DUUUDE! It works! Your freakin' awesome man, thanks :D.

Also, does 1 steel bolt = 1 steel bar? Or does 25 = 1 bar...?

Oh, what...? I melted down two steel boots, two steel gauntlets, and 50 or so steel bolts, but I don't have a single steel bar?!

WHAT IS THIS MADNESS? THE UNDEAD BADGERS PREPARE TO STRIKE, AND ALL I HAVE IS COPPER AND TWIG ARMOR!

'Tis shall be a night of Dwarvish Glory. PAPER MACHE MILITIA...ONWAAAARDS!

Oh, and to get some clarification - How do I apply my tamed leopards to my warriors? I want fighting leopards >)> Sorry :D thanks
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:47:03 pm by Dave1004 »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2011, 11:08:53 pm »

Did you melt them all at the same smelter? If you haven't been, don't deconstruct the ones you've been using, as any partial bars accumulated will be lost. Just feed each one of them a couple of small items at a time until a steel bar pops out, and then stop using that smelter for melting steel (I always have one melter smelter for all metal types).

25 single bolts will 2.5 bars when melted, one stack of 25 bolts won't. It's one of DF's little physics quirks.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2011, 11:12:45 pm »

Oh, and to get some clarification - How do I apply my tamed leopards to my warriors? I want fighting leopards >)> Sorry :D thanks

Select the Dwarf (either from the (u)nits list or by (v)iewing him), then press (p) and (e). Unfortunately, you can't choose WHICH war animal he gets... it might be a war jaguar, or it might be a war fluffy wambler.
Never pet a burning dog.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2011, 05:31:41 pm »

@ Sutre: I only have one smelter, so yes, it was all in one. As I said, that's two steel boots, two gauntlets, and two stacks of steel bolts. I also smelted three steel anvils, and got nothing. Plenty of charcoal (Over eighty pieces...)

Also, for my dwarves. Should I build luxury condos? I make sure every dwarf has a 3x3 room with a bed, cabinet, chest and door. But, my "Super Dwarves" get a golden chest, golden cabinet, bed, golden door, golden statue and something else random (Like a bad studded with sapphires or something)...I also have a large dining hall, with ten tables and twenty-two chairs, and in said dining hall is four golden statues. Plus, I have a gold and platinum statue in my "Statue Room" where they hold parties (All the time >_>). I have a chef with level 11 cooking, and a brewer with level 6 brewing, and 2000 stores of food, 600 alcohol (Everything from dwarven rum/wine/ale to other ones from traders, like Sewer brew), plus I make sure my dwarves get even times of sunlight, mingling, and good, honest work.

But they're unhappy! I've had NO dwarves die, and I'm on my fourth year or so. I've placed high quality statues and weapon racks all over the main walkways, and everything is easy to get to. The condos are right next to the dining room, which in turn is beside the food storage, while above all of it is the work stations. Very compact...No pets have died, since I've been attacked by like, nothing. The place is "Mirthful". I don't get what's going on! Checking with Runesmith, my dwarves are all "unhappy". What's going on?

1. Nice rooms for all
2. Plenty of decorations
3. Good, honest work
4. No bad events, as in deaths or losses of pets.
5. High quality dining rooms and meeting halls.

WHAT'S GOING ON? On my other save, I have the barest minimum (Dormitories, goblin attacks, etc etc) and my dwarves are "Ecstatic"! Do they want to fight or something? GRR!

Sorry...

@Blue Emu: Well, I try that, but there's nothing there. I bought the Leopard from the Elves, did those stinkin' rope-wearin' tree-hugging hippies rip me off? I WANT A WAR LEOPARD, NOT A WIMPY FLOOZY!

Grrr. Stupid elves. Just you wait. Mwuahahahahaha...

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2011, 05:37:11 pm »

"Mirthful" has to do with the kind of wildlife you get, not with your dwarves' moods.

To figure out what they're upset about, select a few of them (one at a time) with the 'v' tool, then press 'z' and 'enter' to bring up a screen with details about that dwarf. The first few lines will tell you what things have affected their mood recently.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2011, 10:11:59 pm »

Oh! God, wow...I really didn't realize that xD. Once I get on my computer, I'll check that out, thanks Adelene >)>. I thought that Mirthful/Serene would = happy dwarves, but I guess it just means no zombies. God, am I sick of skeletal badgers!

Much appreciated :P.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2011, 02:57:39 am »

@ Sutre: I only have one smelter, so yes, it was all in one. As I said, that's two steel boots, two gauntlets, and two stacks of steel bolts. I also smelted three steel anvils, and got nothing. Plenty of charcoal (Over eighty pieces...)
You have no steel in your stocks screen apart from any you bought in as bars? The steel anvils should have given one bar each, that part's hardcoded.

Checking with Runesmith, my dwarves are all "unhappy". What's going on?
Check the thoughts of a couple of dwarves directly.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2011, 01:28:17 pm »

I looked in my Bar's pile, I only have some bronze, copper, one platinum, two gold and a bunch of charcoal...Maybe I'll look again? The anvils were definitely smelted...I had nothing lined up that requires steel...Well, I did have some iron armor and weaponry, but not steel. AAAGH!

And wow, Skeletal Badgers are kinda easy. Like, easier than normal badgers. But they move in packs of 10+, so if you're not careful, anybody outside the walls gets ganked. Ugh.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2011, 01:33:19 pm »

I've actually noticed this too... I'll melt down some stuff and I won't have the resulting bars. Not at the smelter, or my stockpile, or any where. I've since had like 10 seiges, so I'm over loaded with a bunch of iron I don't need.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2011, 03:48:34 pm »

Yet another question :D. To get a baron, what do you need to do? The Wiki says 20+ Dwarves,  exported 10k wealth and have made over 100k wealth. I have:

22 Dorfs
Exported 35,000$
Created 1,150,000.

I'm on "6th opal, 9, Mid-Winter"...

A dwarven caravan had just left. Wheres my baron? XD thanks

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12