Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Dwarf Fortress difficult to learn how to play?

Yes
- 132 (53%)
No
- 45 (18.1%)
Depends
- 72 (28.9%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress...What?  (Read 20478 times)

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress...What?
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2011, 09:38:12 am »

Ooh, Starver, thanks. I think I might just do that :D. I just got my first two Goblin Ambushes, barely a month apart. My elite soldier was ripping through them, but they decided to sneak up behind my west wall, and wait until an idiot dorf ran out, then they poured in. I had to summon my ragtag militia to stop them. My super-awesome-copper-armor-soldier now has 11 goblin kills, and I only lost two militia, and one civilian!

Wish I could have gone back in time, but eh...

Yeah, my cages failed horribly. I had two a few blocks in front of each four gates (N/E/S/W), but they did nothing. Ah, well. Maybe I will pasture a war dog, they are kinda...useless...

Praise everything for walls! Saved most of my civilians lives that day!

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2011, 11:47:23 am »

Yeah, my cages failed horribly. I had two a few blocks in front of each four gates (N/E/S/W), but they did nothing.

You need to place the cages such that enemies have to pass through those tiles. If the goblins can go around the traps to get to your door they won't do much good.
Also you need one trap per enemy, 2 cage traps will only catch 2 goblins (at the maximum).
And you need to make sure the traps are loaded (empty cages are made at a carpenter workshop or forge, and loaded into the trap by a dwarf with mechanic labor).

There are lots more considerations, for example using burrows to make sure your mechanics don't run out into the fight to re-load sprung traps. This is explained in great detail in the wiki.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2011, 01:09:33 pm »

Hmm. Thanks, Mushroo :D. I just played for about two hours, when I got that dreaded "Dwarf.exe has stopped working"... Going to have a LOT of work on my hands to redo! Urgh...

And I was JUST going to start saving seasonally. Meh, more time to prepare for the coming ambush, I guess. (And I just located what seems to be that Adminite stuff on floor 65 or so...Grr

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2011, 01:19:37 pm »

Don't start mining adamantine until you have a very good military.
Something very bad may happen.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2011, 01:20:03 pm »

Now... should I advise you ignore everything else, in this new attempt, dig straight back down to where you found it and mine out as much as you can as quickly as you can..?

No, I probably should not.  For a number of reasons. :)

Spoiler: Do not look... (click to show/hide)

laijka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2011, 03:11:46 pm »

So I started to play this again today. 3rd time is the charm I hope.  :)

And after a half hour of getting my mind blown by confusion and dashing out of game in to the wiki and youtube tutorials I found this thread. And wow, I have learned A LOT just by reading your questions Dave and everyones answers.

So thank you for that.  :D

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2011, 04:11:09 pm »

:D Awesome, Laijka! You're totally welcome to post any questions you have too on the thead, you never know; - Maybe I'm wondering the same thing!

@Jaxy: Don't worry, I know that if you mine Adamantine, and grab the sword thingy, you'll get swarmed by demons. I only dug out two layers of Adamantine, but it takes AGES to turn it into the strand thingy. My soldiers went from copper to adamantine :D

Thanks for the...Warning, though :P (I read a lot on the forums. Knowledge is POWER!)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2011, 04:18:39 pm »

The swords only appear in the fortresses.

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2011, 06:19:48 pm »

The sword is something else entirely, I don't think it has any relation to "cotton candy" other than the fact that it's made of it.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2011, 09:31:03 am »

Cotton candy, as in Adamantine, right. At that one layer, there's a message: "You hear horrifying screams coming from the darkness!"...

Meh. I wonder if Demons can get past fifteen saw blade traps, in a tight corridor. A mixture of Adamantine, steel, and glass blades in them...Wait. Do traps hit them? I want more adamantine....

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2011, 09:32:25 am »

They all have [TRAPAVOID]
Also pray to Armok you don't get metal demons, they're deadly.
And use supports to cause caveins, insta kills.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2011, 10:23:00 am »

Repeating spikes will hit them, but not weapon traps with spikes in them. In theory, the best cave in trap would be something like this:

Code: [Select]
##############
#          ###
# ######## ###
#_____I____###
##____________

With the space below the support being full of beautifully tempting doors and statues. When the demons are all in there wrecking things and pathing up against the wall you built, squish.

Code: [Select]
##############
#          ###
#       ###
#_        _###
##########____

No access, should anything not be caught. The #s, being natural stone, will form a floor above them and seal off the layer on which the support once stood.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2011, 05:02:17 pm »

I....Thanks, Sutre, but...It's too late. No, no, not demons. Not this time.

Skeletal Badgers. About 15 of them...Whooee. That was...messy.

I'll adopt that tactic, if I must kill demons. Thanks, man :D.

A question - How do I train large animals? I have some caged Skeletal Badgers, but when I go to kennels, press "m" (to train large animals) and then hover over the badgers cage, it just switches to the "i" zone (Animals, obviously)

...?

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2011, 06:17:55 pm »

... yes and no.
Dwarf fortress is a game where diving in is pretty easy to do, and you will never reach the bottom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2011, 07:14:26 pm »

The undead can't be trained or tamed.

In vanilla DF there are few animals trainable, as the DM doesn't work and so you never get to work with exotic animals. To make an animal trainable, it has to have [TRAINABLE] for both hunting and war, or [TRAINABLE_HUNTING] or [TRAINABLE_WAR] for one or the other. It also needs to be a tame animal that is not in a cage or in a pasture.

Once you've got all that, selecting the appropriate training command (I think it might always read 'dog' no matter what you're training) will call a random eligible animal over to be trained. To enforce training of the correct animals you can pasture them temporarily to get them in the right place, then lock them in with the trainer.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12