Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Dwarf Fortress difficult to learn how to play?

Yes
- 132 (53%)
No
- 45 (18.1%)
Depends
- 72 (28.9%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress...What?  (Read 20465 times)

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress...What?
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2011, 03:53:04 pm »

Adelene:  I ordered it to be dug, in the "d" menu., and yes, it was suspended. I don't know how, since I ate all my cats. Meh, lol....I feel like an idiot. But, it they still won't build the second one, and it's not suspended. Yeah, as far as I can tell, they can reach it...Hmm. Thanks for the help, I'll just rebuild it, I guess.

Things that are designated from the 'd' menu can't be suspended - if a dwarf thinks a designated job can't be done, the job will either be canceled or ignored. If the 'q' tool worked on it, though, that's a good sign that it was actually ordered to be constructed. It's kind of important to keep track of that - the differences can be important.

Can you post a screenshot of the area in question?

So, I have to set the "pull lever" task at the same time as I hook it up to mechanisms? If so, that makes sense! Will try!

You don't have to set that task at the same time as you hook up the mechanisms; you can wait 'till afterward or even let the lever sit unused for a long time before setting it to be pulled. The 'Pull the Lever' task is set up the same way as hooking it up to mechanisms, though.

2. I only had cloaks, leggings, weapon, mail and three shields (My dwarves ALWAYS grab three shields. Two in the right hand, one in the left >___>...My dorfs are mutants!)

The shields are good, but you'll also want footwear, handwear, and hoods.

My base is small, very compact. It looks cluttered, but everything's right. All smelters and smitheries are by ore and bar piles, and crafting and wood burning, etc are by wood piles...They don't have to walk far, it might take a dwarf five to ten seconds to go from food to bed. Nearly all materials are close at hand...Well, as they say, a picture is a thousand words...

screenshot

Excuse the clutter, but it's all very compact. Below that is a trainings room, and some more dormitories

*squints*

One, I hope your defensive walls are just off-screen rather than missing altogether. If you ever get a squad of goblin crossbowmen, your dwarves are going to be shish kabobs, otherwise, military or no military.

Two, you probably shouldn't combine your dining room and dormitory like that. If you have your dining room set as a room - which you should, otherwise your dwarves won't appreciate how nice it is - it generates noise, which will disturb any dwarves sleeping nearby. Also, while I'm looking at the dining room - having more chairs than tables looks nice, but it's kind of pointless; dwarves can't share tables in the way that that setup suggests.

Three, you appear to have a dwarf in a strange mood - the one with the flashing purple exclamation point in the shop between the wood and the barrels. Do you have that under control? (If you're not sure, the answer is probably 'no', and your setup there is a bad one if that's the case, and needs urgent attention. Especially if it's one of your military dwarves.)

As to compactness, it's obvious that you're trying, and you're doing a good job with most of the basic principles, but having everything on the same level is just not efficient. Looking at your current layout, a dwarf working at the furthest workshop on that screen (the carpenter, I think? The one surrounded by barrels) has to walk 50 squares to get to the food stockpile in your dining room area, then another 10 or so to the tables, and then 45ish back to the workshop - at which point he might just decide that he's tired (since that's time-based, and all that walking takes a while), and walk all the way back over there to sleep. (Dwarves don't often get hungry and tired at the exact same time, so they're not too likely to go right from food to bed.) Put another way, if you had your dwarf walk down a staircase that went as far as he has to walk to get from his workshop to his lunch and back, he'd be 2/3 of the way to the magma sea.

If you keep the same layout you have now, but move the dining room underground in the middle of everything, you can just about halve your dwarves' walking distance. With a really good vertical layout, the dwarf in the furthest workshop might have to walk less than 20 squares, round trip, for his meal in a fort roughly the size of yours, which means he'll get that much more work done between one sleep and the next. (The furthest-out workshops in my fort are my smelters, which are probably 70 or 80 squares away from my dining room, but that's because I didn't want to pump the magma up too high. Other than those, my furthest-out workshops have to walk 16 squares round trip for a meal, and something like 30-35 to sleep. And I'm in the process of adding a second dining room closer to the smelters.)
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2011, 05:21:22 pm »

Hooee! Well, Adelene, thank you for all the information xD. And to say firstly, no, I do not have a wall...Never have, I am on my third year. I'll work on building underground, I already have - I moved the dining room, added more beds, and made a "Royal" room...:D Silver/gold walls, iron/copper flooring, gold silver platinum furniture, and a 64,800$ Artifact chest.

I was setting on that, when dwarven merchants came. I was like, cool, let's trade. I offered 9800 DB worth in goods, and selected about 9000 DB worth of merchandise. I clicked 't', but he said that he didn't like it, so I just rapidly pressed it, in hopes it'd work. Then, he said something along the lines that we can't trade this time around, wait til next year. I was like "BS!", so I took all my soldiers and attacked his troops...

13 soldiers. All have novice, skilled or higher stats (Three archers, 10 miscellaneous) all -FULLY- equipped in bronze/iron weapons/armor, plus good cloaks and ETC.

It was a massacre. I lost 5 melee troops, and all of my range. The merchant guard (One speardwarf) took NO damage. The other one just sat by. Now, there's blood EVERWHERE. I called off my troops, and the merchants left. Several more dwarves died, drowning, bleeding, etc. So, I start to recover, and then this:

Roughly 60 pages of this. Over and over again. And it's still going on. WTF IS HAPPENING? Why are people interrupting people? This is insanity! I have to get my defenses up, I have to prepare!!

Thank you so much for your help. I wouldn't have made it this far, or this well, without you x.x Seriously, thank you!

And, plus, the guy in the "mood" had wanted some weird stuff...Tree, life, bones, cloth, thread. Eventually he wandered off, went in an insane mood, then immediately after into a melancholy mood. A month or so later, he died of thirst lol....

So, my base is in hell X.X...Once I get it fixed, I'll set to doing all that. I guess at least I lasted three years this time...

Oh god, I might not be able to recover. THIS IS MADNESS!

The red text shall block out the sun!...
Oh god.

Oh, and is there a requisite to mine Adamantium? My dorfsies don't seem to like to mine it...Ah, well, all in good time!

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2011, 05:58:16 pm »

I was setting on that, when dwarven merchants came. I was like, cool, let's trade. I offered 9800 DB worth in goods, and selected about 9000 DB worth of merchandise. I clicked 't', but he said that he didn't like it, so I just rapidly pressed it, in hopes it'd work.[...]
The rest, aside, if they say "I cannot imagine us trading", or words to that effect, then there's practically no legitimate way you can get the stuff you requested, even if you were to select everything you'd currently managed to bring into the Trade Depot for trading.  The only realistic thing you can do is to select less to 'purchase' while probably also adding to the stuff you're 'selling' in exchange for it.

Another reason why it's best to go for smaller lots.  If you (frexample) had tried to attain 200 DB worth of goods with a 300 DB offer on your part, and you really couldn't have gotten away with less than 400 DB, you'd get a counter-offer (although usually for vastly more, so maybe 500-1000 DB, depending on various circumstances).  If you're lucky, you might be able to remove some of the counter-offered items (or original ones) to lower it down to near the 400 DB acceptance level, or otherwise change the composition of the offer to items your opposite number seems to like more.  But if you cut down your offer too much from their 'suggested improvement' then you're going to make them less willing to talk.

If you went for 9000 DB of stuff with 9800 DB (which is a very low percentage margin of profit for early on in the game, anyhow, so not surprised they wouldn't go for it), I'd imagine they'd be looking to make a counter-offer by including another 9000 DB-or-so of goods.  Which you probably don't have.  So all you do is annoy the opposite number, and eventually they say "Fair enough, maybe next year", i.e. the message that you got.

Also, when you get more experienced brokers (whatever skill it is again), you will get an indication about their mood that you don't have now.  "...is willing to trade" is the usual starting point if you haven't annoyed or impressed them.  "...is ecstatic about the trading" is (I think) what you might get if you've decided to be very generous (or especially provide some goods indicated from last year's liaison discussions as being things they're trading with at a 200%+ markup from base value).  "...is starting to be annoyed" and "...is looking impatient" are something like the messages you don't want to see, and so if (once you have an experienced enough broker to even see them) they arise you're going to have to go for initial offers of double (or more) whatever you're asking for.

It'll give you a list of these on the Wiki, no doubt.  Plus the special one for elves which means you've annoyed them by what you've tried to trade to them, rather than just being stingy on the margins.

To keep them sweet, right at the beginning, a 10 DB unit of prepared slug eyeballs (or some other very basic foodstuff) might be best traded for a 30 DB better-than-base-quality stone earring.  Although it's probably absolute total profit made, not individual percentages at every little small-scale transaction, that count so getting a couple of separate transactions getting 5 DB bit of base foodstuffs each in exchange for a 50 DB rock craft (each of 10:1 as far as margins are concerned) should not be better than a single transaction of 10 DB worth of food (either a single item or those two 5 DBs asked for in one transaction) against 100 DB of rock crafts (again, either a single 100 DB one, or two 50 DB ones).

However, I believe that there's at least anecdotal evidence that if you make two separate 5 DB <=> 50 DB transactions, coming out of the trading screen in-between, there's more increase in the broker's trading skill than if you put them together into a single 10 DB <=> 100 DB one.  Probably not true, but I just zoom in and out of the depot like billy-o while I'm still trying to up the experience of the broker, anyway. :)  If nothing else, the broker skill could increase enough to make later transactions easier (with a potentially increasing skill, each time) rather than trying to do it all in one go and having to guess what margin is good enough for one huge transaction only at the level of skill that the trader arrived at the depot with.

Again, the Wiki will confirm (or deny, or at least give the best combined community guesses about) that particular mechanism, and you can't take what I've just said as authoritative without finding out what everyone else has said about it. :)

I'll stay away from the rest of your issues.  (Save that annoying a caravan's probably mature soldiery with your trainee stuff wasn't a good idea, either; The issue of "tree, life, bones, cloth, thread" can also be answered by referencing the wiki, but I'm betting that the problem was either no bones or no silk cloth or thread; Don't worry too much about the blue stuff, some people keep away from it and never have a problem (picky nobles excepted), and others have FUN with it, but that's a discussion for another thread, I'm pretty sure.)

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2011, 06:05:34 pm »

Oooooh, loyalty spiral.

If one of your dwarves kills a member of their civilization - for example, a dwarven trader, or even a dwarven trader's animal - they become an enemy of the civilization, but stay a member of the fortress. They're half-excommunicated, basically. Because of this, they'll see the other dwarves as enemies, and the other dwarves will see them as an enemy. But here's where the fun part starts: Because they're still a member of the fortress, if any of your other dwarves attack them, those dwarves become enemies of the fortress, while remaining members of the civilization. So you wind up with three factions: Dwarves who are members of the civ but not the fortress; dwarves who are members of the fortress but not the civ, and dwarves who are members of both. A member of any one of those factions will see a member of any other faction as an enemy.

In theory, it's possible to recover from this... if you're able to wall off a group of unaffected dwarves and let the ones who've been 'infected' fight it out. That's probably not an option in your case, though.

Also, regarding the original argument with the traders - mashing the trade button will *never* help. Any failed trade offer actually makes their mood worse, which means you'll need to offer them even more stuff to get them to take the deal. And they want a percentage of the trade value in profit, not a flat number - offering 800 profit on 9000 worth of goods is only like 9%, which they're not very likely to take. Try more like 30%, as a minimum. 50% is more reliable.

As to the moody dwarf - yeah, they do that. If you give them what they want, they'll make a neat or not-so-neat random artifact for you - artifacts being nice expensive things that attract goblins. If you don't, they go nuts and die. There are three different kinds of 'nuts' - melancholy you saw, and there's also stark raving mad (running around nude, babbling) and berserk (running around killing people). It's a good idea to be able to seal off workshops, so if you have a dwarf go moody and you can't get him his turtle shells or silk cloth, you can seal him in so he can't hurt anyone but himself.

Adamantine, you have to find before you can mine it. It's down, and down, and down some more, and no, lower than that, keep going.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2011, 08:31:47 pm »

Whoa! Well, firstly...Starver, Adelene, thanks :D. I do feel bad when somebody helps me out with an awesomely thorough and well-thought out answer, but sometimes I'm a lazy typist >_>.

I guess that I shouldn't have attacked those merchants then, because everything is utter hell. I'm abandoning it, this is impossible. I'll take the advice on walling off potential "Crazies", a very good tip, thank you!

I understand how trades work now, so I should be MUCH better off. It was pretty silly of me to offer loads of stuff for loads of stuff, but I've never been a perfect merchant. Artifacts sound like bad things, unless it's a weapon. I remember in a really old map, I had an "Artifact" worth about 250K (I think?), so that would've ended badly. Plus, it was some crappy craft or something...

I guess I won't ever find Admantine, I don't explore much lol. Oh, and on my new save, I've adopted how you said to build. My upper area is walled off, and I have five staircases going down. One's central, and the rest are for their respective workshops (above). E.G: Wood burner, construction thingy on ground level, with wood stocks below, and kitchen/still above food/farm...

It works MUCH better, and it is VERY uncluttered. The wall is nice, with doors on all four directions, plus my stairs are hatched off.

A question, if I may...Is there any way to make auto-traps? Traps that automatically go off when an enemy goes near...And, if so, will they go off if a dwarf goes by them? I'd like to be able to make an "Emergency room" at the end of a long, trap-filled hallway, but that won't work if the traps kill my dorfs!

Oogh. That's all for now, and thank the heavens you guys have helped!

"By the nine divines! Dwarfsault, dwarfsault!"

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2011, 08:44:07 pm »

A question, if I may...Is there any way to make auto-traps? Traps that automatically go off when an enemy goes near...And, if so, will they go off if a dwarf goes by them? I'd like to be able to make an "Emergency room" at the end of a long, trap-filled hallway, but that won't work if the traps kill my dorfs!

Yes, there are a variety of trap types that will trap your enemies but not your Dwarfs. You can read about them here:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Traps

Personally I am a big fan of the "cage trap."

Bo-Rufus CMVII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2011, 11:57:20 pm »

I love games like this, but it's so hard to learn how to play...
Very steep learning curve. Turn on seasonal saves and backups (so you'll get the saves in separate folders), and don't be shy about restarting from a save.

I've been playing for a month or so, and am just now getting fortresses that are stable for three years or so.  And I suspect I'm about to hit the next problem. My basic play strategy has always been, "see if I can fix the problem that ruined me last time".

Damien White

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2011, 04:12:32 am »

If you choose seasonal save, consider the HDD Space DF will require if it saves every time in another folder. After 3 years the save files are about 1,5 GB.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2011, 09:01:49 am »

Mushroo: Thanks! I'm going to use the cage trap too. Do you have to, like, bait it...? lol

Bo-Rufus: I probably will, once I figure out how to. I basically do the same thing you did, so I'm now on my third year on my newest fortress, and I'm doing good!

@Damien: Hmm. Three years IN GAME or three years in real life? If that's three years in game, that's insane. I have 700gb space, and a 1 TB expansion drive, but I still like keeping my gaming computer relatively clean...Could you please clarify on which years that's in, boring reality or adventure-filled Dwarf Fortress?

P.S: I forgot what to say in my P.S...Darnit.

Thanks guys :D

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2011, 09:06:50 am »

Three years in-game. The 2010 version hasn't been out for three real-world years yet.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2011, 09:19:29 am »

On the other hand, there is no reason to keep the really old season saves so delete the earliest ones as you go along. The purpose of these saves is to rewind when you mess up in some epic way that could easily be prevented with some hindsight. You only really need 1~3 seasons' worth of backup in which case.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2011, 09:33:36 am »

Mushroo: Thanks! I'm going to use the cage trap too. Do you have to, like, bait it...? lol

No, no bait necessary, just put the cage traps at a "choke point" (such as the entrance to your fort) and they are triggered when an enemy walks through that tile.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2011, 10:59:15 am »

No, no bait necessary, just put the cage traps at a "choke point" (such as the entrance to your fort) and they are triggered when an enemy walks through that tile.

Well, sometimes it helps to have bait (chained up puppy or kitten) in an accessible location *past* the trap tiles, which draws the enemy in as they think "oooh, free kill".

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2011, 05:41:05 pm »

On the other hand, there is no reason to keep the really old season saves so delete the earliest ones as you go along. The purpose of these saves is to rewind when you mess up in some epic way that could easily be prevented with some hindsight. You only really need 1~3 seasons' worth of backup in which case.

Or use something like WinRAR to archive them.

It gets the average save folder down to <40MiB.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2011, 03:15:35 am »

I've just gotten around to checking my save folder sizes.  For my .21 fortress, the following sizes
region1_raw (My pre-embark copy)21,878,461 bytes(20.8MB)
region1-spr-105134,250,531 bytes(32.6MB)
region1-sum-105134,989,378 bytes(33.3MB)
region1-aut-105135,056,862 bytes(33.4MB)
region1-win-105135,142,594 bytes(33.5MB)
region1-spr-105235,207,825 bytes(33.5MB)
region1-sum-105235,292,167 bytes(33.6MB)
region1-aut-105235,379,605 bytes(33.7MB)
region1-win-105235,499,863 bytes(33.8MB)
region1-spr-105335,584,503 bytes(33.9MB)
region1-sum-105335,714,418 bytes(34.0MB)
region1-aut-105335,841,350 bytes(34.1MB)
region1-win-105336,005,037 bytes(34.3MB)
region1-spr-105436,050,158 bytes(34.3MB)
region1 (actual)36,075,393 bytes(34.4MB)

That's a total of 494MB, give or take, for all save files to this point (and the ones prior to year 1053 are off in a sub-directory, so as not to clutter up the "Load Game" menu.

(BTW, if anyone does do seasonal saves, then l;oads a seasonal save, it's worth mentioning that they're probably going to be getting additional sreasonal saves along the lines of "region1-spr-1054-sum-1054", with "region1-spr-1054" now being changed instead of "region1".  You need to rename original "regionN"s, copy the "...-season-year" file and call that "regionN", or whatever you'd prefer to call it.  If you're wanting to re-go after a disastrous mistake, of course.)

Anyway, there is a "data\init" setting that is:
Code: (init.txt) [Select]
Change this to NO if you want to leave save uncompressed (you might want to do this if you are experience save corruption).

[COMPRESSED_SAVES:YES]
, right at the end.  Maybe you're getting 1.5GB saves (and decent compressions) if you've set this to NO.

Additionally, cages won't catch certain invaders with [TRAP:AVOID], surprised nobody's mentioned that.  Guard dogs (previously chained up, these days can be pastured, I suppose) or equivalent animal-alarms, are useful in this circumstance, to at least warn you of the invader (and possibly repulse them, perhaps even kill if lucky).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12