Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Dwarf Fortress difficult to learn how to play?

Yes
- 132 (53%)
No
- 45 (18.1%)
Depends
- 72 (28.9%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress...What?  (Read 20417 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress...What?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 01:59:40 am »

I'll start by just running down your questions:

1. Pastures should be just big enough that the animals don't frequently bump into each other; I've put four cows on an 11x11 pasture with no problems.
2. Cats do that; they wander around eating vermin. If you want to control them, they can be caged or tied down, but in general after they adopt owners they're slightly less troublesome.
3. Magma is useful for both industry and defense. It can be used to build versions of the fuel-using workshops and furnaces that do not require a unit of coal or coke to run a job, and it can also be used to quickly and reliably melt the vast majority of common enemies. It can also melt ice, should you embark on a map that shows such temperatures.
4. Z-levels are just the community's way of expressing the difference between two points on the z-axis, or the vertical axis. They're distinct from distances on the xy plane displayed in the game view because of the floor levels between each displayed level. If I mine two spaces adjacent to each other in the xy plane, creatures and fluids can travel from one to the other; if I mine two spaces adjacent along the z axis, the floor layer still separates them. That layer can be removed via channeling.
5. See 4. Channeling a tile removes the wall (if present) the floor, and the wall below that.
6. Stairways and ramps are usually used to traverse the z axis. It's also possible to cause rather more rapid descents through empty space, but this is usually not desired for day-to-day transit.
7. It is possible for the caravan to be delayed by distance or inhospitable terrain. It is also possible for your dwarven civilization to have been wiped out. It's worth checking for the lack of a "no trade" tag next to your dwarves on the embark location selection screen; hit tab until a list of species appears and make sure the dwarf name is clear.
8. An aquifer is a stone that attempts to fill all empty space immediately adjacent and orthagonal to, but not above, it with water. It has infinite capacity and produces water very quickly; it is usually recommended that you find an embark site without them to prevent the flooding of your fortress.

And your newly posted questions:
1. Depending on your tileset, those might be any number of things. Using the l key and highlighting them will tell you what they are.
2. If they're outside, you need to toggle your dwarves to collect refuse outside in the orders menu.

Lastly, this is an exceedingly complex game. The normal way of learning is to fail in a variety of informative ways, and that can mean being a little masochistic. Best of luck.

EDIT: I type slowly.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:01:25 am by Trekkin »

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 02:21:52 am »

To answer the original question: trial and error. And luck. Lots of luck. Finally, the wiki. It's more or less the instruction book.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 04:34:12 am »

So, what should be the limit for pastures? I don't want my cows killing each other >_>. Also, why the heck are my cats wandering so far? I have two, and 24/7 they wander reaaaally far to the left of the map, leave my vision, then return. And repeat! It's weird...
I am not sure how bloodthirsty cows are in particular. But I had yaks on my latest embark, and they kept fighting when there were only 2 of them in a 20x20 pasture. They also killed my cats, my female dog, my alpacas and one of my blue peahens, and gave three of my dwarves injuries that had to be treated in the hospital. One of the kids sustained permanent nerve damage in one hand because of the mad yaks.

An excuse for them might be the fact that I embarked in a hostile environment with a severe lack of grass. That might have made them jumpier than they would normally be.

Another excuse is that I had my meeting zone - a spot where I ask the dwarves to accumulate when they are idle, so that they can chat and be delighted about it was overlapping with the pasture. So, all the animals were attracted to the meeting zone and thus conflicts became more likely.

And I wasn't really paying any attention to what was going on on the surface. I could have prevented some of the animal deaths and injuries if I had. But I was busy with my aquifer. :)

So, I am missing the point of your question now, am I not? I meant to say that some animals might be more bloodthirsty and unsociable than others. Yaks, for instance, hate the sight of each other. Dogs become rowdy if there are more than 2 of them in a 3x3 spot. Alpacas start to kick each other a bit when there are more than 10 in a 10x10 zone, similar to peacocks. Geese are quite hostile and there was a mad duck somewhere too.

A good approach to the pastures might be to have a bunch of them and to spread your animals into all of these.

Cats are free-roaming animals unless you put them into a pasture. They will wander to the edge of the map in search for vermin, which they will then devour. While this litters up the place for a while, until the vermin corpse is rotten, it protects your food stockpiles from getting raided by rats and cockroaches.

So, what's the use for magma? And, what do Z-levels mean? Zone...? (Wild guess :/). I probably want to avoid magma, I don't need no toasted dwarves.
A furnace, smelter, kiln or glasswork needs coal for the tasks that you can do in there (i.e. forging weapons and armor and fancy rose gold tables and statues; smelting ore in the first place; doing pottery; doing glassworking). Since stuff like bituminous coal is somewhat rare in the latest version, you would have to deforest your entire map, build several subterranean treefarms, and deforest all the caverns to sustain your needs for coal - wood can be turned into charcoal, which is good enough for these workshops.

A magma workshop is fueled by the heat of the magma instead. You can basically craft your weapons and work with your ores for free. This is quite the advantage, though definitely unhealthy for your miners in your first couple of attempts. All the trees on your map can then be turned into beds and bins and the charcoal is only used for the production of steel.

z-levels refers to the z-axis of the game. You have the x-axis (west/east), the y-axis (north/south), and the z-axis (up and down). Surface is z=0, I think; magma is down around z=-100; and there are 15 z-levels of sky above the surface. The z-numbers are displayed at the right side of your game screen.

But, yeah, I do have (ANOTHER) question. Why am I not getting any caravans? I read you're supposed to get your first one in Autumn, but I haven't got one. I've built a trade depot...I am onto my first winter.
It might be that you are in a very remote spot, very far from your mother civilization, perhaps split off by glaciers and oceans. I think that the caravan then takes a while to arrive. Did you get any immigrants in summer and autumn?

Could you press "c", select the dwarven civilization and check if you have a king and some nobles? If it says "this nation has no important leaders", your mother civilization might have died during the world generation - but I still get diplomats and caravans whenever mine is dead. On the other hand, I have stopped embarking on huge worlds, so I don't know how long it can take for the caravan to arrive.

Also, firstly, I don't really wanna do much fighting in this game. I'd prefer just to mosey on peacefully, and killing traders and fighting "Giant worms with twenty eyes" sounds too scary. x.x.
Build defensively then. Get a moat (channel (d-h) out a two tile wide ring or square around your surface dwellings and pastures, build a drawbridge over it and connect it to mechanisms, remove the ramps (d-z) in the moat but take care that you don't trap your miner. Lower the drawbridge only if you want to allow anything access into your fortress, like a caravan. This keeps out the goblins, the tigers and the polar bears.

Also, what is an Aquifier? Is it some sort of devilish contraption? Or is it that thing that makes "Wet" stone?

Aquifer is a soil or rock layer filled with water. If you dig into it, it pours water. If you embark on a reasonably sized zone, there should always be a way past the aquified z-level by means of going around it instead of through it. Only if you are unlucky or meant to do it, you will have it all over the entire map and have to deal with it.

I personally love aquifers, because they are an endless supply of water without having the risk of nasty cave dwellers contaminating it with their pus or entering your fortress through it. Also, piercing through them can be quite challenging, and that's what makes them fun. :)
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 04:40:28 am »

Another excuse is that I had my meeting zone - a spot where I ask the dwarves to accumulate when they are idle, so that they can chat and be delighted about it was overlapping with the pasture. So, all the animals were attracted to the meeting zone and thus conflicts became more likely.

This will definitely do it. I accidentally overlapped my pasture and my meeting zone a couple forts back, and all the animals in the pasture tried to crowd onto the 10-or-so squares of meeting area that they were allowed into. I caught it pretty quickly, but it definitely would have caused fighting and might have even caused them to starve if I'd left it be.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 05:29:11 am »

Whoa! I have to say, you guys did it again :D. Thank you! Lyran, Adelene and Trekkin. Most informative!

I hope that my dwarven buddies weren't demolished, because that would make the game very boring indeed. I'll work on that moat, but I don't have any water on my map (Don't see any at least?)

When I press "C" for Civilization, there's only one civilization there. The tab says:

This land has no important leaders

Is this significant? And, once again, I've put all this information on my handy-dandy notepad, for future reference. It's a blessing to know how to get rid of those darn corpses, I really appreciate it!

Also, yes, I just got a bunch of refugees, on summer (New world :/), and boy do they suck. Five of them, a combination of lye makers, dyers, armorsmiths and....uhhh...whawazzat? Oya, a brewer.

I'm going to go to bed now, I just wanted to stay up to thank ya'll. It's almost 4:30 AM, and boy am I tired (Six straight hours of Dwarf Fortress >____<)

Also, when will goblins start raiding? Sorry. I just want to know, if I have a deadline to build defenses....OH

And I think I found a glitch. I was playing along on my new save, when I finally figured out how to make a Militia. So, I go make some training sticks, and go to equip them. In the "Weapons" menu although, there's a lot of weird weapons, Bowguns and Spears. I only started with two copper battle axes, so...These are the names:

Goblin Cap Spear
Blood Thorn Spear
Nether Cap Spear
Tunnul Tube Spear

Blood Thorn Blowgun
Goblin Cap Blowgun
Nether Cap Blowgun

I don't know how I got them, but I now have two speardwarves with...spears :D

Well, yeah. I gotta go to bed, oh god...Thank you all AGAIN for helping me, I've decided that I'm a Dwarf Fortress fan for life! One of my top five games, probably ranking 3 or 4....Goodnight all.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 06:02:01 am »

When I press "C" for Civilization, there's only one civilization there. The tab says:

This land has no important leaders

Is this significant?

That's significant, yes. It means that the civilization your dwarves are from was wiped out. In game terms, it means that you'll only get two waves of migrants, and then no more, ever - which may be a good thing, for your first fort, but it'll make it very hard to put together a military, so you should focus on building walls to keep yourself safe and traps to deal with the goblins without risking your precious dwarves. It might also mean that you won't get any dwarven caravans, which is not a good thing, or that you'll get dwarven caravans from a different dwarven civilization, which seems to mean that they'll come a little less frequently but otherwise isn't a big deal. You'll probably want to make a point of staying on the good side of the other civs' caravans, though.

(Oh, and the fact that there's only one civilization listed just means that the others haven't visited your fort yet, so you don't know anything about them. Each one will show up in the list the first time they send a caravan or diplomat or thief to visit your site.)

Also, yes, I just got a bunch of refugees, on summer (New world :/), and boy do they suck. Five of them, a combination of lye makers, dyers, armorsmiths and....uhhh...whawazzat? Oya, a brewer.

Brewers are important. Thirsty dwarves are slow, unhappy dwarves. Armorsmiths are pretty good, too, if you have the right kinds of metal. (Even if you're not going to have a military, metal armor is a nice trade good.)

Also, when will goblins start raiding? Sorry. I just want to know, if I have a deadline to build defenses....OH

You'll probably see your first goblin thieves after about an in-game year, and ambushes a few seasons to a year after that. They tend to come in with the caravans, and there's often a big siege in the winter. They also respond to your fortress's wealth - the more wealthy your fortress is the harder they'll try to capture it - so if you want to stick to just thieves for a while, don't go mass-producing masterwork stone crafts or anything.

And I think I found a glitch. I was playing along on my new save, when I finally figured out how to make a Militia. So, I go make some training sticks, and go to equip them. In the "Weapons" menu although, there's a lot of weird weapons, Bowguns and Spears. I only started with two copper battle axes, so...These are the names:

Goblin Cap Spear
Blood Thorn Spear
Nether Cap Spear
Tunnul Tube Spear

Blood Thorn Blowgun
Goblin Cap Blowgun
Nether Cap Blowgun

I don't know how I got them, but I now have two speardwarves with...spears :D

This isn't a glitch, and it's not really a big deal. It's a bit of a spoiler, though, so I'll hide the explanation behind a spoiler tag:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:53:38 am by AdeleneDawner »
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 06:30:20 am »

About the hospitals, I'll set to building one. Will take a while although, I've got my dwarvsies doing a million tasks so far...

Just so you know, "I'll set to building/digging/flooding/training/breeding <foo>, but not just yet as I've got my dwarves doing a million other tasks so far..." is very much the default thought of most players...

Other issues from that post are probably already being addressed, or will be shortly, but the above point is probably the most important truth of the game, whether you're just starting off or a veteran... :)

RedClaw

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 06:47:23 am »

You have selected the corpses to be "dumped". This isn't really necessary since dwarves will move those corpses to a refuge/corpse stockpile on their own.

But now that you have selected to "dump" them, you will need a "garbage zone".

1) Press "i" for Zones
2) Move the x to where you want to start your zone
3) Press Enter
4) Move the x to where you want to end your zone (hint 1 tile is enough for a garbage zone)
5) Press Enter to complete the zone assignment
6) Select what kind of zone this is (this time it's a garbage dump so press "g")

Done.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 07:47:45 am »

Moats do not need water (or magma!!!) to be functional. By removing the upward ramps of your moat, you create sheer soil walls which foes and dwarves cannot climb. I make the moat 2 tiles wide so that the outer part can keep the upward ramps and so that anyone who fell into the moat can leave it again. Looks pretty neat, too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Military: I am not much of a fighter player as well. I can highly recommend to put every civilian into a squad (permanently inactive), give them a uniform so that they wear something, and equip each of them with a crossbow+quiver+some bone bolts.

I just had another camel on top of my outer wall during the last caravan - the merchants had herded it over the drawbridge, past my couple of war dogs and there it was -, and the furnace operator just shot it right into the heart while he was passing by. Okay, the first bolt hit it into the buttocks, but it was still quite awesome to watch.

You may need more than that for defense though if you aren't holing yourself in as completely as I always do.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:00:21 am by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 10:44:18 am »

The learning curve is more or less vertical. It takes some time. Also, I wouldn't complain about it on the forums too much. Moderators don't like that.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 08:26:32 pm »

Moats do not need water (or magma!!!) to be functional. By removing the upward ramps of your moat, you create sheer soil walls which foes and dwarves cannot climb. I make the moat 2 tiles wide so that the outer part can keep the upward ramps and so that anyone who fell into the moat can leave it again. Looks pretty neat, too.

My preference is that if you fall into the moat, you should have to go the long way around to get back to where you started.  Preferably running past 10-30 tiles filled with weapon traps to get back up, and you come back up at about 8-10 tiles away from my walls where the marksdwarves can take pot shots at the survivors.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 04:20:46 am »

Adelene, thanks for explaining that too me! I haven't seen anybody besides my dwarves (OH and the caravan that came in winter :D), but I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for explaining stuff to me, I've got a good handle on the game now! I'm just a short ways from the end of the year, too...Worst part is, I didn't know how the trade worked, so I put up ALL my best stuff, roughly 6,000 trade value, and I had selected about 2500 trade value from the merchants. I pressed t or whatever to trade, and the next thing I knew, I was missing 6,000$ in goods, and gained not a single one back! Luckily, my dwarf just made an expensive platinum amulet, 1200, so I scrounged up some junky rock goods, and got me some food. Lo and behold, my offer of 500$ for his 350$ in food wasn't good enough, so he demanded I put my platinum amulet in the trade! I was like, heck no xD

Also, how do I get my dwarves to fight? I had three in my active military, all well armed. Short swords, I forget what metal, but it was either platinum/silver/steel, one of those. And copper ringmail, leggings, gauntlets, boots and helmets. Shortly thereafter, I was attacked by "Zombie Capybara" and "Skeletal Capybara", but they were invisible. I couldn't find them, and every two seconds I'd see "(Dwarf) failed to (do something) due to Zombie Capybara" or whatnot. All six of my War Dogs died, killed out. They got a few of them, but my militia did NOTHING... Why? >_> sorry.

Additionally, one final, important question. What happens when you run out of ores and wood on a certain map? It's small, with only one big rocky-mountain-diggable area, and I can find no more ores! Is there a way to descend a level? Thanks :D

Redclaw. Thanks, man! I'm glad that I can get rid of these huge Refuse piles. Urgh...

Lytha. Good to know! I tried making a big channel of water, covering my base (But, sadly enough my dwarves are dieing, all the water froze, and I guess that my well has no more x.x), but maybe when spring comes, if I'm still alive, it'll work :D

Thanks again all xD

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 05:14:48 am »

Use '>' and '<' to traverse Z-levels. On a more meta level (with a correspondingly meta double entendre), you can get infinite stone by obsidian farming, infinite metal by goblin farming, and infinite wood by keeping dirt or wet stone around.

You may have had your militia off-duty, incidentally, or they may not have found the equipment you selected for them.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 05:37:51 am »

I pressed t or whatever to trade, and the next thing I knew, I was missing 6,000$ in goods, and gained not a single one back!
Indeed, a common mistake is that you hit the key to gift ("o"ffer?) the goods, rather than trade.

A better strategy when trading, anyway, is to do it a few items at a time.  Select a 20dwarfbucks amulet for a 10dwarfbuck bit of food, perhaps.  Takes a bit more work, but let's you judge the mood better, you can aim to keep your opposite number at a certain level of happiness and if he gets too happy cut down the margins, if less happy be more generous.  But that's all something you'll learn from experience.

Also, how do I get my dwarves to fight?
  Assuming you're using one of the latest versions of the game (0.31.x), the key is "s" for the squad-control menus, then press a letter for a squad (or hold shift down and then more letters to select multiple squads, if you have any more), select "k" to kill and then either use the rectangle drawing tool, the list version or the default "what's at the cursor" to select the enemie-du-jour and Enter.

If you couldn't find the zombie stuff (probably not something I'd try to attack with a raw military, to be honest) then the list-select version is probably the way to go.  You can practice this command even without enemies, BTW (it will also show any current wildlife and possibly even traders, but not sure about the latter).

The other way to find your enemies is to go to the "U"nits list.  Go up from the beginning and you'll find yourself at the end of the list, where the Deceased are listed, cursor past them and you'll get an intermix of general wildlife that's mostly benign. but might include aggressive undead stuff, actively hostile civilisation members, traders, etc.  Go to a creature of interest (that's not deceased, i.e. perished, not "alive undead") and "z"oom to where they are.

But congratulations for actually getting military equipped, BTW.  Some might say that's not exactly an intuitive thing to do, even with a guide helping you.

Additionally, one final, important question. What happens when you run out of ores and wood on a certain map? It's small, with only one big rocky-mountain-diggable area, and I can find no more ores! Is there a way to descend a level? Thanks :D
Yes, that's what stairways and ramps are for.  If you're just working on one level, you're missing a lot.

Find a bit of undug rock or flat bit of ground and "d"esignate" a downward stairwell (with "j", I'm fairly sure, but I'm not really awake yet) .  Move your view down by one level with ">" and on the same X/Y spot you can "d"esignate an "u"pward stairwell.  When it gets dug, the ">" symbol at 'ground level' will have a "<" on its Z-1 point ("Zed minus one", or "Zee minus one" if you're a certain brand of colonial :)  anyhow, that's the 'first level basement', as it were) and you should be able to see that the nature of the rock around the dug-out stairwell has been revealed (i.e. not black or the random 'this is undiscovered rock, not void' symbols).  The 'up/down stairwell', lets you continue the stairway downwards even more, rather than have to put a new downward stairwell off to one side and upward partner on the level below that to reach "Z-2".

You can also "b"uild, "C"onstruction and various stairways ("u"p, "d"own and "x"/up-down) in open space (using a stone, log or other material) to reach Z+ levels from where you are, and can build downward stairwells directly above any up-ward facing one, from the lower level.

Another way to get down a level is to use ramps.  Designate a floor (or undug wall) tile to be "channelled" on the level you have access and it will create a ramp on the level below (and get rid of the "wall" at your original level, if any).  Alternately, designate a ramp on any lower Z and if there's access from the Z above the same will happen.  At some point, you may discover the 'joy' of cave-ins, if you do this without care, but it's all a learning process. :)  Anyway, the 'side view' of stairwells and ramps looks a bit like:
Code: [Select]
Something like the symbols you'd see "top down", although "v" and "^" are really triangles of that orientation and "#" is a stand in for undug rock/soil of any variety:

Two    Longer  Two
down-up  stair-  ramps
 pairs     way   down

..>....  ..>..   ..v..  Ground level
##<.>##  ##X##   ##^v#
####<##  ##<##   ###^#
#######  #####   #####

A more realistic side-impression.  (YMMV, but in this case "/" means stairway down to the same spot while "\" is a ramp).

__ ____  __ __  __ __
##/_ ##  ##/##  ##\ #
####/##  ##/##  ###\#
#######  #####  #####

You'll learn more about this the more you try it. My notation (especially for the latte) may be misguiding, but is meant to demonstrate the principle behind the perhaps more confusing game notation, not really meant to be examined in "side-slices", only horizontally so.

As to your other comments, it seems a bit late to really help you with some of the qustions you have about this fort.  You're in a particularly nasty embark point, for a beginner.  Alternating freezing/thawing and undead creatures, plus the possible confusion of terrain that a flat plain would might obviate while you' were still getting used to Z-levels.  Still, you're learning this game well, I think, on the whole.  Later on in this for, or in any new one you create, the above advice should be of some use.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 05:50:09 am »

Adelene, thanks for explaining that too me! I haven't seen anybody besides my dwarves (OH and the caravan that came in winter :D), but I'll keep an eye out.

I didn't mean the caves you've dug out - I meant the natural caves below your fortress. You'll know when you find them because you'll get a big-deal notification that you've found 'an expansive cavern'. They're pretty cool, but also pretty dangerous.

Also, how do I get my dwarves to fight? I had three in my active military, all well armed. Short swords, I forget what metal, but it was either platinum/silver/steel, one of those.

Platinum can't be made into weapons, and making steel is complicated enough that you're unlikely to have done it unintentionally. The swords are probably silver, then, which is not too good for edged weapons. It's awesome for hammers, though. (If you do have steel, that's a very good metal to make edged weapons out of, but not so good for hammers. It's also good for armor.)

And copper ringmail, leggings, gauntlets, boots and helmets.

Copper's not very good for armor, but it's certainly better than nothing. It sounds like you're getting the hang of making objects, though, which is good. :) If you have cassitterite on your map, you can smelt your copper together with it to get bronze, which is much better. Or if you have iron ores (limonite, magnetite, hematite), those are good, too. Steel's basically the best, but that requires iron, flux stone (limestone, chalk, marble, or a few other types of stone that are found near limestone and chalk), and coal, and it's not too likely that you have all of those on your map if you're playing the newest version.

Shortly thereafter, I was attacked by "Zombie Capybara" and "Skeletal Capybara", but they were invisible. I couldn't find them, and every two seconds I'd see "(Dwarf) failed to (do something) due to Zombie Capybara" or whatnot. All six of my War Dogs died, killed out. They got a few of them, but my militia did NOTHING... Why? >_> sorry.

Ooh, you have zombies? That's not so good, especially if you only have silver. They're one of the tougher kinds of things to fight, and my understanding is that they need to be hacked to pieces, which hammers won't do. For future reference, when you're choosing someplace to settle, purple is not a good color to see on the map unless you're looking for a challenge.

Anyway, to answer your question - military dwarves basically act as civilians until you specifically tell them to do something, until they get to be very high level. It sounds like you already have a squad set up, but if not, that's done under the [m]ilitary screen. (Tip: When you're doing this, make sure to go to the s'u'pplies tab and turn off 'carry food' - this is buggy and will end with your militia leaving un-dumpable rotten food lying around if you don't turn it off.) Once you have a squad, you give them orders from the main screen by pressing 's' to bring up the squad menu (important note: unlike most menus, this one does NOT pause the game, though you can press space to pause it manually while this menu is open), then press 'a' to select your first squad, and select an order from the list. 'm'ove is a good one, and so is 'k'ill, 'l'ist. The kill-list command will bring up a list of all the things on the map that you can tell your squad to attack, so you don't have to find them on the map first. You should keep an eye on the squad while they're doing their thing - if you want them to retreat, you can clear their orders, at which point they'll turn back into civilians and run away. Also, when they kill something, the order to track that creature down isn't automatically cleared, so they'll tend to hang around the corpse rather than going off to kill the next thing on the list or going back to work, so you'll want to adjust the orders whenever that happens.

It's also a good idea to give your military a move order every few months or year or so, to remind them that they *are* part of the military and should be carrying good weapons and wearing good armor. Otherwise they tend not to update their equipment, and then when you need them to go fight something they run all over creation getting the right gear first.

Also, when you get messages like that, if you want to see what's going on, you can press 'a' to bring up the announcements list, scroll to the interesting announcement, and then z to zoom to where it happened. The creatures involved might have moved away, but it'll give you a starting point at least.

You can certainly dig down. Stairs are the best, but they're a little tricky if you're not used to thinking in 3 dimensions. Also, they can either be dug, from the same menu that you use to designate rocks to be dug out normally, or constructed, with [b ][C]. I recommend digging them, when you can - [d][j] will select the down-stair tool, and then you can designate a down stair to be dug the same way you'd designate stone to be dug out. Also, this can be done in an area that's already dug out, so long as there's a floor. Once your miners dig that out, you press > to go down to the lower level, and you'll see a tile that looks like a stone wall in the middle of a bunch of un-dug stone. You need to complete the stairway down to that level for the dwarves to actually be able to go down there, and that's done with the [d][i ] (up/down staircase) or [d][u ] (up staircase) tool. It's a bit confusing, since we usually think of stairs as one object rather than two, but I look at it this way: Stair tiles are a bit like one-way doorways. If there's a doorway, but it just leads to a wall of rock, I still can't go through it. The down-stair tile is a doorway to the lower level, and if there's rock on the other side of that doorway, it's not good for traveling, but at least your dwarves can get to the stone on the other side to mine it out so people can stand there. And since it's one-way, you need another doorway on the other side pointing back in the other direction, which is what the up-stairs do, and up/down stairs are double one-way doorways: One one-way doorway that points up, and another one-way doorway that points down.

If that's too tricky, I can also explain ramps, but stairs are better if you can understand them. Ramps are a little easier to make, but they're also a bit more dangerous - if you don't understand what's required to use them, or if you accidentally dig out the wrong thing, you can trap your dwarves, whereas if you do stairs wrong, most of the time your dwarves just won't use them at all.

Also, between this question and your comment about the invisible zombies, I wonder if you've figured out how to move your view up and down in general? The < and > buttons move your viewpoint up and down respectively. This is important, since even if your fort is all on one level, your map's terrain probably isn't, and you'll need to be able to keep an eye on all of it.

Edit: Also, this is entirely true:
You're in a particularly nasty embark point, for a beginner.  Alternating freezing/thawing and undead creatures, plus the possible confusion of terrain that a flat plain would might obviate while you' were still getting used to Z-levels.  Still, you're learning this game well, I think, on the whole.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 05:58:54 am by AdeleneDawner »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12