Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uninjured dwarves resting in hospital?  (Read 772 times)

chairo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uninjured dwarves resting in hospital?
« on: April 03, 2011, 07:14:05 pm »

Hey. I have a hospital all set up, but the problem is, that I have about ten dwarves (Out of fifty) who are eternally resting in the beds, requiring other dwarves to feed them; However, none of these ten dwarves are wounded. At all. The only thing even wanting a diagnosis is a damn dog. De-constructing the beds knocks them out of their resting trance, and they go back to work, but it's only a temporary solution, as the other dwarves just come in and continue resting on them when I rebuild the beds. I have bedrooms, and about 2/3 of the dwarves have bedrooms (I checked, the resters have their own bedrooms). Obviously, I could just de-construct the hospital entirely, but that is a very dumb idea, yes?

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uninjured dwarves resting in hospital?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 07:35:06 pm »

Dwarfs will sometimes choose an unowned bed to sleep in, even if they have beds they own! In the past, they would even choose beds owned by other dwarfs. Just make sure you have more beds than you need in the hospital and dorms.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 08:44:13 pm »

It's not that they are resting forever in the beds and need to be fed and watered, its that dwarves will feed and water any sleeping dwarf that is hungry or thirsty. They often go to sleep, then while sleeping become thirsty/hungry, and a dwarf comes to care for them.
They sleep in the hospital because it's closer than their own room, they do the same thing with barracks' that are closer.

I don't want to outright say that you aren't experiencing some hospital-of-eternal-sleep bug, but that's what happens in my fortress.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:45:51 pm »

In my most recent fortress, i couldn't build a hospital for the first 3 years. (Aquifer + badlands + minimalistic embark loadout + nanofortress... yeah well.)

During these first 3 years, my dwarves encountered various buzzards and the tame animals could access the meeting zone and started fights there (my fault.) Anyway, a couple of my dwarves got hurt.

So, when I finally built the hospital, I had immediately dwarves in the beds, even before I had put in some coffers for the hospital goods. They got their diagnosis alright, but now they needed some stitching and bandaging.

However, if I had just given them a quick glance, it would have looked like what the OP describes: dwarves resting for no reason in the hospital, occupying the beds and being annoying. Only a closer glance at the health screen and some sideways scrolling revealed that these dwarves had their hands cut open and some fingers smashed.

So, I could imagine in the OP's scenario that the diagnosis was done, but the dwarves needing some treatment.

It helps to give every single of your dwarves the medical jobs, by the way. Makes the stitching being done a lot faster.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:36:41 pm »

In my experience in 0.31.25, if Dwarves have their own bedroom, they don't sleep in the hospital... even if the Hospital is far closer than their own bedrooms.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos