Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battletech Mod  (Read 907 times)

goukaryuujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Battletech Mod
« on: April 03, 2011, 06:09:05 pm »

Im thinking of starting on a total conversion mod that would change DF into the Battletech universe (aka where Mechwarrior, Mechcommander and Mechassult are set in). It would probably take some serious work to do, so i want to know how much support this would have before i seriously start in on it. and i may even have to break out the C++ to get some of the hard code just right for it. Ill also probably put the mechs as the Civ entities untill reactions can be used to make sentient creatures, and ill put them into 2 main civs off the bat, (IS [Inner Sphere] and Clan) with all the different types of mech being different casts of the two main sentient races.

First off the bat, should I make the clan mechs have the Inner Sphere names for them, or should I have them all have their clan names?
What houses/Clans should i put in, or should i just leave it for the Civs to for them?
Which way would you like me to go, relice it every corner stone, or just whenever i do somthing notable to it?

Things to do
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, nothing left to do but dig in and start modding  :P
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:03:49 pm by goukaryuujin »
My wife, on the other hand, is sitting right next to me on her own computer playing DF, and her worldgens and embarks yield copious amounts of flux and iron. Armok likes her best.
Ok I stuffed up some how... I have Forgotten beasts and Mosswines as a Hostile Civ...

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
Re: Battletech Mod
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 06:26:35 pm »

I have no clue how you would do this or how well Mechs could use the DF world but it sounds interesting. 

I guess my biggest question would be what is the purpose / what would you do?  I just don't see a bunch of mechs digging minerals, making farms, etc.  Would it be short drop missions or would you plop them down on the map for good?  How would it work?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 06:32:27 pm »

i may even have to break out the C++ to get some of the hard code just right for it.

Ehm... ask permission from the Toads first, I am questioning the legal status of doing this.

Most of the things you are planning seem possible, except for

find some way to make lazors have near unlimited ammo

Not possible, but you could make the mechs 'spit' a material called lazor. It would have infinite ammo, you could even have two different lazors, but you wouldn't be able to switch them like weapons.

break into the hard code and decide what to do with furniture

Legal? Once again, ask Toady

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 06:58:26 pm »

Probably better, legally(for Toady).. not to ask.

If he says yes, that has implications. If he says no, that also has implications. Good faith mods shouldn't be a problem, as long as you don't rip him off or cry for donations.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 07:02:03 pm »

But if you don't ask  and it is illegal he has every right to sue or at the least, ban your IP address, so no forum postings ever again. I would ask just to be safe, nothing bad is going to happen, if he says yes, hooray, if he says no, you just saved yourself from getting sued or banned.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

goukaryuujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 07:57:08 pm »

I have no clue how you would do this or how well Mechs could use the DF world but it sounds interesting. 

It would be a total conversion, i would pritty much be throwing pritty much every creature and entity file out of the window for this, kind of like how they made the appocolyse or zombie mod for DF.

I guess my biggest question would be what is the purpose / what would you do?  I just don't see a bunch of mechs digging minerals, making farms, etc.  Would it be short drop missions or would you plop them down on the map for good?  How would it work?

Im thinking that it would be more you getting ploped down to hold an outpost for your civ for fortress mode, and adventure would pritty much have you running around as a mecenary for hire. And im probably going to wait for reactions to permit sentient creatures being involves before i make is so that mechs arnt doing the digging, farming, etc... because thats just silly in my mind aswell.

i may even have to break out the C++ to get some of the hard code just right for it.

Ehm... ask permission from the Toads first, I am questioning the legal status of doing this.

Most of the things you are planning seem possible, except for

find some way to make lazors have near unlimited ammo

Not possible, but you could make the mechs 'spit' a material called lazor. It would have infinite ammo, you could even have two different lazors, but you wouldn't be able to switch them like weapons.

break into the hard code and decide what to do with furniture

Legal? Once again, ask Toady

Yah, i will ask toady befor i even try on the hard code, and i was more thinking of making the lazor ammo out of rock or somthing simple and if im allowed to go into the hard code, i may try to remove the "Xstone lazor ammo" kinda thing while im in it. if not, i will make it a breath weapon.
My wife, on the other hand, is sitting right next to me on her own computer playing DF, and her worldgens and embarks yield copious amounts of flux and iron. Armok likes her best.
Ok I stuffed up some how... I have Forgotten beasts and Mosswines as a Hostile Civ...

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 09:52:29 pm »

I think it would be a lot easier if you started from scratch with your own engine. As awesome as the Dwarf Fortress engine is, there's just too many things in the Battletech universe that you would need that it doesn't support. For example you would probably want multiple worlds generated instead of just the one. Really you'd end up spending more time trying to make the engine do something it wasn't meant to do as opposed to coding it yourself.

goukaryuujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 10:42:43 pm »

I think it would be a lot easier if you started from scratch with your own engine. As awesome as the Dwarf Fortress engine is, there's just too many things in the Battletech universe that you would need that it doesn't support. For example you would probably want multiple worlds generated instead of just the one. Really you'd end up spending more time trying to make the engine do something it wasn't meant to do as opposed to coding it yourself.

Accually, i woulnt be doing anything major, just some renames like making a bed a mech bay. And i dont think im a good enough programmer to make a completly new engine from scratch yet.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 07:51:53 pm »

Hmm its a mod as long he dont ask money for it it should be good, hell we are modding the crap out of *external* coding wich are plants, dwarf and so on, modding the exe isnt that bad either, i did crack the exe for more ddwarf and didnt get sued over. Its basicly a modded DF hardcode or not.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?