Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: old age?  (Read 1871 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: old age?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 01:11:20 pm »

I remove maxage for all of my dorfs.

I like a thousand year old badass mountain king with an artifact golden throne. :D

Actually dwarves should really live 200-500 years rather than just a little more than humans.

Yet again, you can always play goblin fortress.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 02:17:26 pm »

I just modded al my dorfs to have their max age divided by 10 and child age divided by 3, so I can have some real families instead of stupid migrants.
(dwarves are extinct in my other as venture world though :P )

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 02:24:38 pm »

I'd run a REALLY short worldgen in that case, Dutchling.  You might find there is no more room on the mountainside, otherwise!

Dontcha wish that Dwarves would change their last name when marrying, and give their name to their kids (mom's last name in the case of a bastard child)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 06:47:29 pm »

That depends on how a name change is decided. The tradition of the female partner changing her name comes from the days when women were chattel, and dwarves have no such inequality.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 06:52:21 pm »

Well we deffinitely need SOME way for people to tell which dwarves are related.  Otherwise what is even the POINT of having surnames? If nobody takes their parent's last name, shouldn't we all just have Dwarves named simply Urist and Rakod?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 07:01:26 pm »

The point of having a second name is to have more chances of the RNG giving a different name for each dwarf.
In-game, either they don't bother telling the player their family names or they simply don't have them since there aren't enough of them in each settlement to make it worthwhile. Well, from their point of view, although giving players information about how many people will be upset if you pick this Urist to die fits in with DF's DIY morality system.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 07:14:42 pm »

I'd be happy if, when getting married, the less popular or professionally able dwarf took the name of the more popular or professionally able dwarf, and that name passed down to their children.  It needn't be about male/female.  It can be about what was really about power and respect.

"That's Sam... John's Son"  -> Sam Johnson

Only in DF it would evolve to be more like:

"That's Urist LegendaryCarpenter over there...  Ah doesn't the missus LegendaryCarpenter look fine? Too bad about her getting removed from her Glassmaker job, but I guess she really wansn't more than a dabbler in the first place"

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 07:29:06 pm »

I'd be happy if, when getting married, the less popular or professionally able dwarf took the name of the more popular or professionally able dwarf, and that name passed down to their children.  It needn't be about male/female.  It can be about what was really about power and respect.

"That's Sam... John's Son"  -> Sam Johnson

Only in DF it would evolve to be more like:

"That's Urist LegendaryCarpenter over there...  Ah doesn't the missus LegendaryCarpenter look fine? Too bad about her getting removed from her Glassmaker job, but I guess she really wansn't more than a dabbler in the first place"

This is a good idea and should probably be posted in the suggestions forum if it hasn't already been. :)
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 07:31:47 pm »

Only downside is there would be areally big group of the "Miner" family... BUT THEY"RE DWARVES! As it should be, no?
Pages: 1 [2]