Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Surface farming question  (Read 5812 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surface farming question
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 06:47:56 am »

I channel out half a room from the surface into soil, and dig out the other half. Channelled soil always lets you put the full farm in. Put a ceiling over the top and i have all my crops in one field, aboveground and below ground side-by-side. My current set-up is 8 3x5 farms in an 11x11 with stairs in the middle and an 11x11 food stockpile below. It's compact and produces a lot of variety, but too be honest still produces too much, so I set it fallow every few years.

I also put my rubbish pile on the roof part, so it doesn't cover any tree areas / grass.

Code: [Select]
11111555666     1 - 4 = aboveground crops
11111555666     5 - 8 = belowground crops
22222X77777
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:52:12 am by Reelyanoob »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 02:04:18 pm »

Oh, I thought that had been fixed. My Bad. *flings self into magma*

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 04:27:05 pm »

I'm having trouble with crops (mostly above ground crops, but not solely) that are not being harvested before they wilt and die.  I'm baffled.  I have a population of 20, and freaking 12 of them have the Farming labor turned on.  I can't figure out why all this waste is happening.  Hell, I thought I read somewhere that unless you turn it off, ALL dorfs will pitch in at harvest time.  What am I doing wrong?
Randy...

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 04:32:09 pm »

Here's a brief list of things to check:

- Under the [ o]rders menu, are dwarves set to harvest?
    - Is your food stockpile full?
    - Is your food stockpile set to accept the appropriate type of crops?

These are the only things I can currently think of that might be causing your dwarves to ignore plants until they wilt.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 04:39:24 pm »

Here's a brief list of things to check:

- Under the [ o]rders menu, are dwarves set to harvest?
    - Is your food stockpile full?
    - Is your food stockpile set to accept the appropriate type of crops?

These are the only things I can currently think of that might be causing your dwarves to ignore plants until they wilt.

Perfect!  I think my food stockpile was either too small or had been customized such that it wasn't taking the raw plants themselves.  Either way, I have a temporary holding area outside until I can carve out a proper warehouse below.  Thanks!
Randy...

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 04:47:13 pm »

No problem. I frequently run into the 'food stockpile too small' issue myself, generally as a result of leaving one dwarf perpetually making rock pots and another perpetually brewing. Eventually, the seeds, and thus the plump helmets, multiply enough to take over everything.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 05:14:48 pm »

Trap door quantum stockpile. Channel floor. On upper level, lay hatches. Lay stockpile on upper and lower levels. Connect doors to repeater. Food is stockpiled, and dropped to lower level. Hatches close, process repeats.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 07:48:35 pm »

Trap door quantum stockpile. Channel floor. On upper level, lay hatches. Lay stockpile on upper and lower levels. Connect doors to repeater. Food is stockpiled, and dropped to lower level. Hatches close, process repeats.
Does this actually work? I thought you couldn't put stockpiles on built stuff like hatches.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 08:15:15 pm »

Does this actually work? I thought you couldn't put stockpiles on built stuff like hatches.
As he described it, it wont work, however you CAN designate a dumping zone on the hatch, then designate spare food to be dumped, then open the hatch at let it fall.

However, that is a whole lot of pointless work when you can just designate a 1 tile dumping zone anywhere on your food stockpile, then dump all the food and it will all be stacked on that one tile.  After it has all been stacked, reclaim it and the food will all be in one tidy pile on the food stockpile and will never rot and stay there until it is needed.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 08:34:53 pm »

You're right. I seem to recall there being a way to fool the game, but I can't remember it now.
Pages: 1 [2]