Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lost Thumb - No Treatment Scheduled  (Read 923 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lost Thumb - No Treatment Scheduled
« on: April 03, 2011, 01:18:55 pm »

So, the first siege arrived with a voracious cave crawler and a squad of hammer goblins. I send the marksdwarves on the walls... and notice them run onto the nearby hill. I had built the walls next to a mountain, and failed to notice one corner of the wall diagonally touched it. Anyway, they bullrushed the enemy while I quickly ordered the military stationed at the front gate to get over there and save the marksdwarves.

Anyway, thanks to their armor, only two out of three of the marksdwarves that charged died (hey, i was expecting 100% casualties). But this one was being attacked by the cave crawler (While the other two were ganged on by the hammergoblins), and had his thumb ripped off. The reports say that while the cave crawler ripped off his thumb, then 'the Recruit hacks at the Cave Crawler from behind' (reinforcements!), while the Marksdwarf scrambles away from one attack and and kills it with an iron bolt.

Then he goes and rest in the hospital with no diagnosis needed. Will he stay there forever, or will he leave when the thumb heals? (do amputated limbs ever heal?)

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Thumb - No Treatment Scheduled
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 01:21:16 pm »

Odds are he'll stay there for a long time unless you do something to get him out, like deconstructing the bed and making it not be a hospital or such. And I don't think they do, unless you mod it in.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 01:23:32 pm »

I've had dwarves just hang around in the hospital for a while before 'giving up' and resuming work when it comes to injuries that don't heal.

Oddly, all my amputees (And I have about 9) refused to go to the hospital, the duke, after having his arm ripped off by a giant toad, only felt the need to have a quick wash. Most of them 'know' nothing can be done for it and go on with their work.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 02:33:40 pm »

Unlike in the real world one limb being ripped off doesn't seem to produce enough blood loss to kill a dwarf, there's your explanation - they just wash it off and go on with life.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 02:35:28 pm »

A thumb isn't exactly a "limb".
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 02:50:43 pm »

He'll get working soon enough--I have a double amputee--both lower arms.  She is mayor now, always failing to clean...
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 04:23:29 pm »

Oddly, all my amputees (And I have about 9) refused to go to the hospital, the duke, after having his arm ripped off by a giant toad, only felt the need to have a quick wash. Most of them 'know' nothing can be done for it and go on with their work.

This made me giggle.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 05:24:17 pm »

Wait till you see a dwarf lose both arms and never go to the hospital, and become a legendary kicker by curb stomping enemies into thin paste. Then you'll really start to question reality.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 06:19:39 pm »

Then you'll really start to question reality.

Reality? Perhaps. Monty Python? Never.

Urist McArmless cancels rest: 'Tis but a scratch

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 07:28:00 pm »

Then you'll really start to question reality.

Reality? Perhaps. Monty Python? Never.

Urist McArmless cancels rest: 'Tis but a scratch

Hope he's good at biting his enemies.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 07:30:01 pm »

A thumb isn't exactly a "limb".
Sorry I usually have my underlings feet hacked off and the same happens - my bad