Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hardcore environment?  (Read 3129 times)

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcore environment?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 05:49:09 pm »

Personally I find the undead biomes rather anticlimatic in current versons. The buggers just vanish too easily, often just taking couple of hits to go down. Even the flesh and blood versions seem more resilient dispite pain and all that. And zombies are slow as heck to boot. So the main difficulty of undead currently is their agressivness and their building destoryer 1, and IMO savage neutral biomes can give similar or even greater challange (ie. not much challange at all for even remotely competent military).

You could always try the Fortress Defence mod.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 07:32:37 pm »

Savage? I've embarked on a savage desert/shrubland and it looks like normal. The few giant leopards and whatnot are something I carefully try to lure into traps so I can have them as pets, not something I fear. One of my two male GDS has died of old age without another having shown. Heck, even my caves are boring. One GCS in 15 years and nothing else besides some FB's, trogs and naked mole dogs.
Memento Mori

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 01:04:30 am »

I built a small city over the waters of a haunted ocean, you want scary, try having undead fish and whales snatch your dwarves from the walkways and flop onto land, my dwarves didn't last too long before I realized what a bad idea that was.  (The plan was to use the walkways to knock invaders into the bottom of the undead infested sea for hilarity, but I didn't realize how easily it would turn against me)  I'm going to do that embark again, and find a way to make it work to my advantage :)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 01:18:37 am »

No trees
Aquifer
Peasants only
Final Destination Haunted desert.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 02:28:53 am »

Survive and build wealth until the goblins arrive. My fortress went from mundane without a military to two forgotten beasts/2 invasions in just 2 seasons :)

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 02:35:10 am »

Glacier, then tunnel straight down, open up every floor, smooth every surface, breach caverns, breach hell, and wait for FBs, clowns and Goblins (If connected to them) show up. And if you're a newb, the walruses are a bitch if you're next to the ocean.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 04:00:13 am »

don't bees still give a huge wealth boost to your fort? I had a rolling series of ambushes, goblin thieves, segued by an siege and then a FB showing up just as I was wiping out the last of the siege. Thank god I had enough walls and etc to slow them all down.

It was fun though, running around surviving approximately 35 goblins with their mounts on it.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 06:28:02 am »

Any tips?
Pick a spot with multiple biomes in the embark screen, just for more variety. Haunted or Terrifying are a MUST, to get good attack critters.

No trees or other plants. No Volcano. Embarking on a Glacier is advised.

No river unless it's in a Freezing biome so it's just ice then you have to work out how to thaw it.

For extra challenge, bring only a 3 rocks and a bar of copper, and some plump helmet seeds (or bring no food/drink and starve til you open up the caverns)

I built a small city over the waters of a haunted ocean, you want scary, try having undead fish and whales snatch your dwarves from the walkways and flop onto land, my dwarves didn't last too long before I realized what a bad idea that was.  (The plan was to use the walkways to knock invaders into the bottom of the undead infested sea for hilarity, but I didn't realize how easily it would turn against me)  I'm going to do that embark again, and find a way to make it work to my advantage :)
Ummm, just build the walkways one z-level higher?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:31:36 am by Reelyanoob »

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 08:16:40 am »

Terrifying swamp on the edge of a terrifying ocean for zombie alligators, whales and sharks.
F*** your pointy ears I've my dwarves inside.
And f*** your wooden swords I've my dwarves inside.
F*** your bins of cloth I've my dwarves inside.
If you're looking to be killed I've my dwarves outside.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 11:57:30 am »

don't bees still give a huge wealth boost to your fort? I had a rolling series of ambushes, goblin thieves, segued by an siege and then a FB showing up just as I was wiping out the last of the siege. Thank god I had enough walls and etc to slow them all down.

It was fun though, running around surviving approximately 35 goblins with their mounts on it.

No, that has been fixed.  You can unfix it by removing the [] around [PETVALUE_DIVISOR:1000].  Each bee colony you have will then be worth 10-20,000 dorfbucks.  That will get the ambushes rolling in.

For a challenge, don't use traps, don't build walls, defend everything with military.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Taren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 02:14:32 pm »

I find the genesis mod a decent challenge, I'm quite new myself but with all the possible civilizations and those you are at war with you get plenty of unpredictable experiences, like for instance incredibly accurate archers on some civs. I always set the number of civs to high or very high but I have no idea if that influences how often you are hit, I just seem, as a new player, to get my fair share of sieges to deal with. I am not very rich yet certainly, though on one map I struck platinum on the first level :) which you can craft in the genesis mod into extremely nice goods. I soon lost that to centaurs!  Getting the wealth as others have said is one thing, but hanging on to it, especially early on is tough.

As an example I always want a small military by the second year, and by the third almost two squads armed, armored and trained. With some traps if possible; this isn't a safety net, this to me is a must! On vanilla I can usually go a couple of years on traps alone quite safely.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 04:55:37 pm »

A
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:50:12 am by Benedict Hardy »
Pages: 1 [2]