Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hardcore environment?  (Read 3130 times)

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hardcore environment?
« on: April 03, 2011, 11:33:02 am »

fgbhfgb
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:17:20 am by Benedict Hardy »

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcore environment?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 11:41:21 am »

Breach hell on your first year, lock all dwarves in, have fun trying to survive before they rape you.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:42:39 am »

eaten by a duck

My name is SpiralDimentia, and I approve this message.

Edit, because my post was actually extremely unhelpful:  When you embark, look for a place that is either ''Sinister'' [fer wimps.], ''Haunted'' [fer elves.], or ''Terrifying'' [fer dwarves.]

That's basically a scale of ''hairy'' ''oh my.'' and ''shit hit the fan.''

Also, don't bring a military dwarf with you, that should make it interesting. Oh, and if you want added difficulty, make sure you get an aquifer.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:44:55 am by SpiralDimentia »
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 11:48:17 am »

Or try FD mod. Link in signature.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:05:28 pm »

A
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:51:06 am by Benedict Hardy »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 12:06:40 pm »

You may think it's boring, but by one year you mean from spring to spring? Usually you'll get nothing hostile in the first year. Now prepare for gobbo ambushes.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 01:01:03 pm »

Is it possible to survive a hell invasion? I did find an adamantine vein in my boring fortress, it might be funny to dig it right through to hell and watch my 3 recruits with wooden weapons try and defend themselves!

Otherwise I've found a terrifying environment using the advanced world gen parameters, and am awaiting hilarity. I also vow to make a functional fortress here, somehow! Going to start with lots of miners and a very good farmer, and allow myself one competent, dedicated fighter, but I refuse to wall myself in or avoid outside contact completely.

I couldn't find an aquifer, but I figure that's more of an engineering problem than a gorey tribute to Armok, so I'm willing to accept that.

If you've got contact with goblins, I'd suggest getting your population over 80, then pumping out lots of expensive trade goods. Smooth and engrave your walls of your boring fortress.

Getting fortress wealth up will attract sieges, ideally goblin crossbowmen riding giant cave swallows. Since you did say you were a new player I'm assuming you don't have a fully-armed, -armored and -trained military on hand, so that should be plenty of carnage for anyone's taste.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 01:13:58 pm »

Does the decorating ammo with gems trick still work? You could also surround your kitchens with dwarven syrup and cook vast quantities of one cheese and three syrup roasts. Alternatively, get your dorfs to mine out vast quantities of the map and forbid all stones that aren't totally awesome. The miners will mood and make artifacts out of gold nuggets or whatever you have handy, pushing fortress wealth up nicely without giving you artifact weapons.

Valguris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 01:18:15 pm »

You may think it's boring, but by one year you mean from spring to spring? Usually you'll get nothing hostile in the first year. Now prepare for gobbo ambushes.
Yup. You didn't play that forst long enough.
If there are goblins in your world (and there are :) ) they should send ambushes at you and then maybe besiege you. Also some megabeast (dragons, minotaurs, etc.) can arrive at your site too. There are certain requirements you must meet (high population, high created wealth) that will enable all of this. So, play your second year. :) And have fun. And FUN.
Yea, i remember my first goblin ambush. FUN

NINJAED!

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 01:21:27 pm »

As a warning: sometimes even Terrifying areas aren't that bad. Sometimes they're. . .well. . .terrifying. It's all based on the luck of the draw.

If possible, though, make sure all biomes are haunted/sinister/terrifying. Otherwise you might just get normal animals migrating on, and that's no fun.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 01:32:37 pm »

Try for a haunted or sinister embark - they're often the hardest. Terrifying is supposedly the worst, but in my experience it means that once in a blue moon an ogre or werewolf will appear. Haunted, on the other hand, means that all the usual wildlife will be present, but undead - zombies aren't too hard, but skeletons are nasty (especially camels or horses). For extra difficulty, embark in a haunted biome next to a stream, as that guarantees the immediate presence of a good amount of undead fish, which will proceed to climb out the river and murder your dwarves. On one embark a skeletal sturgeon single-handedly destroyed all my dwarves.

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 01:46:09 pm »

Basically, it was BORING! I wanted to see my dwarves struggle for survival. I wanted some kind of challenge

Of course it is, DF isn't a hard game if you don't impose some level of challenge upon yourself, and it will be boring if you lack the imagination to enrichen it, it also sounds that with around 40 dwarves, you probably weren't getting goblin legions and dragons knocking on your doorstep.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 01:54:31 pm »

The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 02:08:09 pm »

You could have just waited another year. It gets a lot better in the second or third year if you live in a calmer environment.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 02:52:26 pm »

Also try lowering the requirements for megabeast/forgotten beast attacks.

I had a flame-spewing [or something like that, I didn't look too closely as I expected to die] minotaur attack me two seasons in. Amazingly, my unarmored, untrained military managed to slay it with the wooden spears I was prepping for a danger room.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: [1] 2