Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Archery Range and Melee training  (Read 1216 times)

Kessadir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Archery Range and Melee training
« on: April 03, 2011, 10:51:18 am »

Here's the situation.

I wanted to train some crossbowmans, so I placed 10 archery ranges for each dwarf in the squad, and assigned them as "Archery ranges" separately, so each marksdwarf can train on one of them.
But from what I saw, they just train from time to time only on one of those archery ranges.
Each archery range has that crossbowdwarfs squad assigned to it, so they should be shooting at all of them.
I have crossbows, and a lot of bolts. The number of bolts assigned for training is 300, and they are (any material).

My archery range looks like this

O.O.O.O.O.O
O.O.O.O.O.O
OxOxOxOxOx

Where:

. - empty tile
O - wall
x - Archery range

And its from "top to bottom"

Is there a solution to this?

Also I have kind of a problem with my melee training dwarves.
When I had just one dwarf in that squad training, he kept doing "Individual combat drill", but when I made a 10 dwarf squad, some of them keep orginizing dodging demonstrations, and the rest are just waiting for it to happen.
That doesnt seem to increase their skills, as they are Dabbling/Novice axedwarves.

A solution for this?

Im using DF 31.24
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:57:08 am by Kessadir »

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archery Range and Melee training
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 11:06:28 am »

I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

MrOassis

• Bay Watcher
  • You know, MAGMA IS ALWAYS THE SOLUTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:09:52 am »

For your crossbowdorf's, I think it has to do with the bolts themselves.
First, check that everyone has quivers.
Second, build a craftsdorf's shop next to your archery range, and set someone to permanatly work on bone/wood bolts. However, once they are created, make sure that none of the bolts are hauled, touched, or otherwised moved out of the way once the are created! Easiest way to do this is just to remove all ammo stockpiles. So, up unto this point, any ammo that has been touched by a civilian dorf, shall not be used.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:20:22 pm »

I wouldn't bother with archery ranges. Just have them do live fire practice on goblins. They will skill up extremely fast, and while at first the fire will be slow and inaccurate you can make up for it in volume by having a large number of dwarves sitting on an ammo stockpile, blasting away at the goblins.

It should only take a few sieges for them to get really good.

Alternatively make a burrow that covers the caverns and order your marksdwarves to patrol the caverns. They will hunt and kill all wildlife in the caverns, providing you with meat, leather, bones, and make the caverns safe for your other dwarves.

Valguris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 02:17:25 pm »

300 bolts assigned? How many marksdwarves do you have? Maybe try assigning more (I try 100 per dwarf).
Sometimes 1 dwarf from a squad will pick up all ammo assigned to the whole squad :( I don't know what's the limit, but 100 per dwarf seemed to work (maybe an overkill).

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 02:49:54 pm »

I usually go with 500 bolts/squad and have no problems.

I also do make a mountain of ammunition. If I'm below 10,000 bolts in the stockpiles I'm running low on ammo.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 03:00:09 pm »

Here's the situation.

I wanted to train some crossbowmans, so I placed 10 archery ranges for each dwarf in the squad, and assigned them as "Archery ranges" separately, so each marksdwarf can train on one of them.
But from what I saw, they just train from time to time only on one of those archery ranges.
Each archery range has that crossbowdwarfs squad assigned to it, so they should be shooting at all of them.
I have crossbows, and a lot of bolts. The number of bolts assigned for training is 300, and they are (any material).

My archery range looks like this

O.O.O.O.O.O
O.O.O.O.O.O
OxOxOxOxOx

Where:

. - empty tile
O - wall
x - Archery range

And its from "top to bottom"

Is there a solution to this?

For markdwarfs, what you describes is exactly the way I'm doing it. My dwarves are shooting ammo like crazy at those ranges. I have to take them off shooting from time to time to let my ammo production catch up. No idea why it isn't working for you when there's so many things that can cause it not to work.

Did you select one archery range, made it an archery room, expanded the room to cover the other ranges, and assigned the squad to it? Or did you go to each and every archery range, made each range a room, and assigned the squad to all ten of these rooms?
I'm thinking the 2nd way, which is what i do, is what you did but just making sure.

Are hunters taking up your bolts? Several bolts are reserved for your hunters even if you don't have any. Your markdwarves won't touch any bolts until you made more than whats reserved for the hunters (or until you lower that number).

Are the archery ranges "long" enough? They won't shoot at blank range or with only 1-2 spaces in between them and the target. I think 3 or maybe 4 is the minimum. I had that happen to me and fixed it by making the walls in your pic longer.
Edit: also I think they need to be able to actually walk over to the range or they won't use it. So no open space between the range and the dwarf.

For your crossbowdorf's, I think it has to do with the bolts themselves.
First, check that everyone has quivers.
Second, build a craftsdorf's shop next to your archery range, and set someone to permanatly work on bone/wood bolts. However, once they are created, make sure that none of the bolts are hauled, touched, or otherwised moved out of the way once the are created! Easiest way to do this is just to remove all ammo stockpiles. So, up unto this point, any ammo that has been touched by a civilian dorf, shall not be used.

I'm playing .21 and this has not happened to me. My markdwarves are using hauled bolts just fine.

Also I have kind of a problem with my melee training dwarves.
When I had just one dwarf in that squad training, he kept doing "Individual combat drill", but when I made a 10 dwarf squad, some of them keep orginizing dodging demonstrations, and the rest are just waiting for it to happen.
That doesnt seem to increase their skills, as they are Dabbling/Novice axedwarves.

A solution for this?

Im using DF 31.24

Use smaller squads. That way they spar more. I use 3 dwarf squads. It takes them about 2-3 years to reach legendary. Or you can use danger rooms and get legendary in one season or something.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:05:36 pm by JohnnyDigs »

Saim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 04:15:21 pm »

Double check to make sure you didn't put a "Catcher"(hole in the ground) in front of the targets, it seems alot of people do this...also make sure the bolts are forbidden + make sure they actually have the crossbows in hand. My dwarves wouldn't pick up the ones I had for whatever reason, possibly because I had them assigned to the "metal" uniform and the crossbows were wood, I made some steel crossbows and they were happy. Also keep the squad to 5 max, the bolts can be used up crazy fast so they could be training but just using up your stock instantly when they do....

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 02:14:33 am »

The other problem is that he could have them set on Active schedule from the alert screen. Set the squad on Inactive schedule, they really should start target practicing. Also make them quivers. When the dwarves have no order for that month, under either schedul, they will target practice more
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 07:52:10 am »

Read here for all your answers.

Combat organization is based on your dwarfs preference and most of all their organization skill, have your captain/commander spend some time as a bookkeeper at highest preference to get that skill up. If it's not high enough he'll spend so much time getting ready that they'll never train.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!