Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Updating saves?  (Read 990 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Updating saves?
« on: April 03, 2011, 04:07:28 am »

For the first time since I started playing, I have a fort I'm kind of proud to have built. I'm now seeing all the recent patches, and really wanting to see soem of the new changes...but I want to keep my old fort. After reading some of the tutorials on transferring saves, it seems like I'm not going to see a lot of the changes in my old (updated) forts, despite updating to the new patch. Is this true, or am i misreading the tutorials?

The most important to me are the hospital changes, especially the re-diagnosis and soap fixes. Second would be a change to dwarfs being scared by things that are 10+ z-levels below them (screwing up the resetting of my traps), but I don't think the second one was changed yet.

It should be though.

A goblin that's 8 stories down in a "dodge this" trap pit with four broken limbs should not be screwing up my entire base because he's scaring my dwarfs.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Updating saves?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 09:45:19 pm »

Still wondering if I would nuke my save if I tried to move it into the updated game.

Anyone out there well-versed enough in this area to give me a little help?

Thanks!

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:48:28 pm »

Pre-.19 saves (i.e. pre-yarn) will occasionally generate unsatisfyable moods since the dwarf will want something that can't be obtained.

Can't think of any other potential problems. Just keep your old copy, and if something goes horribly wrong, stick with the old version.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:53:24 pm »

Pre-.19 saves (i.e. pre-yarn) will occasionally generate unsatisfyable moods since the dwarf will want something that can't be obtained.

Can't think of any other potential problems. Just keep your old copy, and if something goes horribly wrong, stick with the old version.
Wow.

I should have just done that and seen for myself. lol, thanks for the reminder that I can copy stuff on the computer.

I need to stop drinking the water in this town.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:49:28 am »

From what I've seen, generally old forts will work in the new versions.  The main downside is they may bring some of the old version's problems with them, but if your alternative is continuing to use the old version, then that doesn't lose you anything.  You also get some 'useless' carry-over, like the Armory noble (your existing noble will continue to hold the position, but it will have no function), overstuffed hospitals (until you get rid of what's already in there), and such.  My one area of doubt would be the military, since it seemed to get a couple major changes during 31.x so far - it's always come across successfully for me, but I usually have forts jump one or two versions, rather than trying to get a 31.12 fort to run in 31.25 or the like (though it would probably work).  My current fort has gone through more versions than most, 31.19 -> .21 -> .22 -> .23 -> .24 -> .25, due to the rapid releases.  The biggest single jump was a 31.12->.13 fort in 31.18 - I didn't continue it very long in .18 so it's not a particularly thorough test, but the initial impression was that it came across fine.

The soap fixes (both the crash-from-partial-bars and the job-cancel spam) seem to translate from earlier versions successfully, in my experience.  The diagnosis and surgery fixes seemed to also translate.