Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Flux Rarity and Bug?  (Read 2790 times)

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flux Rarity and Bug?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 09:15:15 am »

I am not proficient with the bug tracker, so could someone please add this for us?  I was finally able to find an embark location proclaiming the presence of flux - but while it had 20 players of marble, it only had a little magnetite and no coal or lignate.  I'm still taking it :P

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 09:25:17 am »

I favour maps with high mineral content - when generating I set scarcity to be as low as possible, so that I have tons of minerals. I don't see flux on the embark screen, but the site finder generally can find sites with flux - multiple biome embarks take a bit of careful guesswork on where the flux actually is, but even if I don't see it at embark screen, the actual embark will contain, at least, marble for flux. Sometimes sedimentary flux at the surface as well. Not entirely sure if I'm supposed to be able to see the flux at the initial map embark screen...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 10:03:59 am »

this does seem like a legit bug. I've had this once (I've genned 3 worlds in .25  :P)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 03:48:13 pm »

I favour maps with high mineral content - when generating I set scarcity to be as low as possible, so that I have tons of minerals. I don't see flux on the embark screen, but the site finder generally can find sites with flux - multiple biome embarks take a bit of careful guesswork on where the flux actually is, but even if I don't see it at embark screen, the actual embark will contain, at least, marble for flux. Sometimes sedimentary flux at the surface as well. Not entirely sure if I'm supposed to be able to see the flux at the initial map embark screen...

Yeah, but the problem I'm seeing if no flux when I embark, even if the finder highlights the area as green indicating flux being present and I have situated my embark location to cover all available biome locales.  Its complicated and the bug seems to be that setting the mineral scarcity low causes minerals to displace flux, but the (f)inder isn't aware of it and shows areas as having flux that no longer do.  Setting the mineral scarcity back to normal fixes the problem, but also makes for a very mineral poor play experience...

I saw a suggestion to increase the layer 1 count from 5 to 10, but that only gave me more repeated layers of shallow metal.  Increasing the Z-depth of the world doesn't seem to have much of an impact on the flux being absent.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 04:10:04 pm »

There can be flux present even if it doesn't list "Flux" in the embark screen.

Also, regarding Prospector, I've NEVER seen it record any amounts of Flux stone, even though there was plenty of flux on my map.
The silver is responsible for this How?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 04:17:40 pm »

I am not proficient with the bug tracker, so could someone please add this for us?  I was finally able to find an embark location proclaiming the presence of flux - but while it had 20 players of marble, it only had a little magnetite and no coal or lignate.  I'm still taking it :P

I can do this, but please provide:
-worldsave uploaded to DFFD
-image with marked buggy[ * ] location (on map from embark screen)

[ * ]claiming presence of flux, but without even single tile of it
[ * ]with flux, pretending to not have it
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 04:20:16 pm by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 05:04:47 pm »

As some of the other posters, I've had tonnes of site with flux that wasn't listed in the embark screen or in prospector, have you tried using reveal to look manually? That's the only real reliable way. It's obviously still a bug that it isn't shown but you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss a site without a manual check first.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 05:25:25 pm »

DFHack Prospector does not list layer stones.
unless you have marble, it wont list present flux (chalk, dolomite, blah) because they are layers and not veins/clusters.

Just like it wont tell you about the 2billion conglomerate aquifer you have.

edit: blah ok appears taht marble is a layer as well. so no marble in the prospector either. but its damn well _there_.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 05:28:40 pm by Lord Snow »

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 05:35:51 pm »

Well might as well add to this the soil finder tag also doesn't work at all.

I always set it to deep but it will give me sites that have anything from some/little or more soil, it seems to function more like a Yes/No despite having more options.
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2011, 07:25:24 pm »

As some of the other posters, I've had tonnes of site with flux that wasn't listed in the embark screen or in prospector, have you tried using reveal to look manually? That's the only real reliable way. It's obviously still a bug that it isn't shown but you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss a site without a manual check first.

Yes, I use REVEAL, and Prospector -ab should be showing layer stone according to other forum posters.  It takes me hours to actually find flux when the mineral scarcity is set low, but I'll try to verify that soon.  When using REVEAL, I zoom out and scan every layer manually.  Flux is VERY easy to spot with the tileset I am using. 

I am beyond overloaded IRL so I can't promise I'll get to that.  But at least I know what needs to be done when time presents itself.  Thanks!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2011, 10:35:19 pm »

I've got one already on DFFD that works for the second option (5x5 embark, claimed it had flux via finder, but did not list it in any of the layers at embark window) -- http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4124  I don't use utilities other than Therapist, however, so I don't know if it really does have flux or not at this point (one year in, still very shallow on my dig, and expecting an elven ambush any minute since I picked a civ at war with them).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:36:53 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 10:57:51 pm »

Well might as well add to this the soil finder tag also doesn't work at all.

I always set it to deep but it will give me sites that have anything from some/little or more soil, it seems to function more like a Yes/No despite having more options.

Actually, the soil finder works just fine - it's just set up the opposite of what one would expect. Based on the symbol, it's a "less than or equal to" search, not an "at least" search. Technically not a bug, just not as useful as one would hope.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 03:34:01 am »

Actually, the soil finder works just fine - it's just set up the opposite of what one would expect. Based on the symbol, it's a "less than or equal to" search, not an "at least" search. Technically not a bug, just not as useful as one would hope.

Ah I see so its just basically useless but correctly useless... lol, less than or equal to is probably the worst way to have implemented that search, but thats odd  since deep also shows up very deep on the finds which would be greater than just deep (prob since deep is the highest searchable option).
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 04:47:20 am »

As a fortress mode noobie, I play with metals 'everywhere', and all the embarks are tried usually had tons of flux (usually chalk).
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 04:56:07 am »

You don't need flux, just find a red headed boy to pee on the iron.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3