Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Flux Rarity and Bug?  (Read 2785 times)

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flux Rarity and Bug?
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:19:17 pm »

Howdy again guys.  So, in .25 I hardly ever see Flux listed in the embark window.  Furthermore, when I search for Flux using the finder, it highlights areas with no flux visible.  My last 10 embarks on those tiles have had no flux on the map (verified using propsector).  Is this a bug or am I missing something?  Also, is there a way to increase Flux occurance using the advanced worldgen options?

Thanks!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Flux Rarity and Bug?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:20:54 pm »

Could you give us an example with the prospector? You may be overlooking something.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

zerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 11:29:51 pm »

Yup, same thing happens to me. No flux listed, but crazy amounts of marble were present at my last fort.

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 11:34:08 pm »

Embark sites will list :

Some Soil
Shallow Metals
Deep Metals

A search with Flux:Yes will highlight it in Green, as though it has flux.  REVEAL and PROSPECTOR show no Flux present in the embark location at all.

I just scoured the last world I generated, and saw less than three spaces (of the hundreds present) showing Flux in the list of resources present.  Something seems broken.

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 11:45:19 pm »

Something else I am noticing, the FLUX finder search never green-highlights areas of a mountainous nature.  Maybe it is backwards?

Just to add some info - I am using an advanced embark mineral scarcity of 230, and removed the aquifer tag from a few of the soil types in the RAWs (since I had 95% aquifer coverage and I prefer to avoid them).  Otherwise it is a vanilla world with nothing special added or removed.

zerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 11:50:13 pm »

Something else I am noticing, the FLUX finder search never green-highlights areas of a mountainous nature.  Maybe it is backwards?

Just to add some info - I am using an advanced embark mineral scarcity of 230, and removed the aquifer tag from a few of the soil types in the RAWs (since I had 95% aquifer coverage and I prefer to avoid them).  Otherwise it is a vanilla world with nothing special added or removed.

I, too, removed the aquifer tags and set a custom mineral scarcity tag. I'll gen up a vanilla world and see if the problem persists.

[EDIT] Setting the mineral scarcity higher and higher seems to make flux still appear in the world for me but not in the embark windows. Search returned a huge list of places containing flux, but none were listed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:54:36 pm by zerin »

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 12:06:31 am »

After setting the mineral scarcity back up over 1000 I am seeing FLUX displayed in the embark screen again.  Anything below that and its very rare to see it in the embark window. 

My theory is that low mineral scarcity breaks the embark screen's display of flux in areas.  The finder correctly identifies locations capable of carrying flux, but since each screen has multiple embark spots (of which I can only cover a 6x6 area max), its pure luck to actually embark on a biome containing flux. 

Any more insight into this problem would be appreciated!

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 12:24:33 am »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think prospector only shows ore/gems so flux won't show up on it.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 12:36:20 am »

If you use the -ab extension it seems to show flux stone.   Before trying prospector I always do a visual search using reveal.  Prospector is just a final check to see if I missed anything.

HammerTime

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 12:41:39 am »

I have this same issue with a fresh install of .25 (Phoebus set).  Many locations showing up
in the finder, but only a few of them actually containing flux according to the minerals
indicator.  I didn't use prospector though.

Seems like a bug to me.

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 12:48:00 am »

AFAIK, it doesn't highlight areas that you can't embark in, like deep inside mountain ranges. Plus, it highlights it if there's at least one embark location in the square that matches the search, but not necessarily the default site for that square. Sometimes (often) you have to hunt around to find the right biome. I haven't noticed any problems with flux specifically, but I haven't really been looking at that.

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 01:00:25 am »

You seem correct about the mountains not being highlighted because they are not embarkable - however, I make sure to scan the entire embark site and none display FLUX in the list of substances present at that location.  It really looks like flux gets swapped with minerals when you set the scarcity lower.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 06:51:24 am »

When I embarked to a site that had no 'flux' label but was found through site finder, I found several layers of dolomite (a flux)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 07:32:46 am »

Flux is extremely rare to me. And even if i find a location with flux, there is no metals there.

Kessadir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 08:22:10 am »

And even if i find a location with flux, there is no metals there.
I second that.

I had about 4 different fortresses on .24.
Even tho I had "flux" and "deep metals", the only thing I could find was cobaltite.

But I sure got a lot of adamantine :O
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:41:54 am by Kessadir »
Pages: [1] 2 3