Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Alternative to Immigration  (Read 3670 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative to Immigration
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 12:01:38 pm »

I am pretty sure you can mod out the jobs you don't want in your region raw's (in entity_default, for dwarf) and put them back when you have enough migrants.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 10:17:21 am »

Definitely have an agent which arranges new arrivals. And the choice in skills would be nice (a small random set of randomly skilled dwarves), though gamebreaking if it gets too easy to get any skill of any skill level for some linear price. Maybe there could be a new pool of 2-10 per season, same as an average immigration, but you wont HAVE to accept them all, or any. And to be able to send them away! Of course that murder is THE dwarven way nowadays, but I never say 'no' to open options.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 04:16:12 pm »

what about a sort of "correspondence" with the mountain holmes? like the possibility to ask them for, precisely, what a fort lacks. I mean, if you are founding a colony you should keep in contact with your mother nation, and she should, technically, help you out.
and making the "requests" through mail with a merit system, for example, until you achieve X you cannot request more than a dabbling miner, like, until you strike the first stone, and then, until you strike adamantium, you can't request legendary miners. And base the entire thing on how much the mountainhomes love/hate you, and how you met with the liason, and how your nobles are happy, because they "have connections" which will help you requesting with the mountain homes... (which would make nobles quite more useful than living charcoal for the magma, i suppose)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 04:38:17 pm »

Honestly, I think the best course of action is to just plain cripple the amount of incoming dwarves, period.

Right now, we have so many dwarves that are created from nothing that we are trying to get rid of the dwarves we have, and see all the dwarves we have as utterly expendable.

Try playing with immigration off.  Except for the first two waves of immigrants (consider them a bunch of stragglers from the first embark caravan), you basically have your 20-or-so dwarves and that's it, and as such, they are much more precious, and must be kept alive until you can get marriages and children and spend the 12 years it takes to grow them to adulthood.  (You should definitely throttle the number of children born, too...)

And yes, it's possible to play that long - as long as you have fairly few dwarves and the FPS stays high because you have a smallish fort and embark area. 

The game gets much more fun when your losses actually aren't so easily replaceable.  It also gives you time to grow closer to the individual dwarves you have under your control.  All-in-all, it's such a slew of positives, I wonder why more people don't do it.  (And why Toady doesn't do it.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

seanb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 08:27:34 am »

Try playing with immigration off.  Except for the first two waves of immigrants (consider them a bunch of stragglers from the first embark caravan), you basically have your 20-or-so dwarves and that's it, and as such, they are much more precious, and must be kept alive until you can get marriages and children and spend the 12 years it takes to grow them to adulthood.  (You should definitely throttle the number of children born, too...)

And yes, it's possible to play that long - as long as you have fairly few dwarves and the FPS stays high because you have a smallish fort and embark area. 

The game gets much more fun when your losses actually aren't so easily replaceable.  It also gives you time to grow closer to the individual dwarves you have under your control.  All-in-all, it's such a slew of positives, I wonder why more people don't do it.  (And why Toady doesn't do it.)

I actually took this suggestion and gave it a try. You are right on all counts. One of my good miners got sick, and i dropped everything to get him back on his feet. The dwarves are MUCH more precious now.

However this doesn't solve all my problems though. I still have WAY too much trade goods stacking up, the stuff the traders is even more under-valued, and now i've got wall-to-wall food stacking up, with nobody to eat it.

I guess the game just needs a lot of balancing.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 10:08:52 am »

i would quite like to be able to request individuals from my civ (or possibly other CIVs in general) as a part of trade agreements. So i would go to an upgrade civ screen and be able to get a list of maybe 10 high skilled individuals. I would then negotiate a deal for that person, in terms of trade. The deal could also include that person requesting certain rooms - e.g. decent office, decent quarters etc. This could be done via diplomats or traders from said civ. It could also be done by a certain number of years. So rather than getting to keep that person you might only trade their residence for 5 years (this would seem quite logical for foriegn civs to me).

So for example i could trade a human marksman for 5 years for a lavish bedroom and 7000g, and then use him to train my militia. He would then return to his home afterwards. Or I could promise to pay 400g worth of weapons to my mountain home for a master weapons smith to migrate to me. Failure to supply said weapons in any given year would mean he left the fort (possibly if you knew one year you would fail to make payment, you could negotaite a leve in stead such as paying 1000g in other stuff). You could also use this system for recruiting mercenaries, so pay 12000g for 8 armed men for 2 seasons.

I think its important that the people you are trading for exist in the real world, rather than being genned for each trade deal. So you must pick from what is available. This system would also be conducive to adventure mode quests. Get hired (possibly with some other non  party npc's to defend a site for 2 seasons etc).
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 07:12:44 pm »

The idea I've always had for dealing with immigrants is to implement the Department of Immigration & a hardened Sheriff to "deport" all the illegal immigrants. 
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Gloster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 06:51:28 am »

How about this form:

You appoint a noble/administrator - the immigration officer; each new wave of migrants reports to him and you get to pick which dwarfs with which skills you permit to settle down. The catch - while peasants will beg you for a permission, highly skilled workers will demand something in return, be it money, good rooms, furniture, personal workshops, whatever...
The officer should depend on the negotiator skill, his level affecting the conditions/contracts he will be able to negotiate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 07:26:25 am »

Interesting ideas for development.

As for now, dig (or start to dig, to be expanded later by a 'useless' miner) an annexe.  Assign by burrow (or engineer to trap with barriers ,doors or drawbridges) all the less useful wanderers.  Work that fortress in parallel, albeit with less urgency or perhaps with a different focus.  If your primary fortress is militaristic, work on more artistic productions, or vice-versa.

If it's truly sealed off from the other fort, you could even find that when your primary fort completely fails due to something you did that you shouldn't have (or didn't that you should), you've got a set of otherwise ignored outcasts who are now capable of retaking the fortress in a story worthy of Hollywood.  Goonies-meets-Alien-meets-28 Days Later-meets-one or other variant of Day Of The Triffids-meets-AVP... etc.

The only issue I can see is needing to keep spouse immigrants together, to avoid catastrophe to one fort 'spilling over' into a the other due to the tantrum-spiral spark that the long-separated husband and wife might cause upon one of their deaths.

Edited to remove unintended quote
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 10:00:38 am by Starver »

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 09:38:58 am »

How about this form:

You appoint a noble/administrator - the immigration officer; each new wave of migrants reports to him and you get to pick which dwarfs with which skills you permit to settle down. The catch - while peasants will beg you for a permission, highly skilled workers will demand something in return, be it money, good rooms, furniture, personal workshops, whatever...
The officer should depend on the negotiator skill, his level affecting the conditions/contracts he will be able to negotiate.

That's almost exactly what I was thinking of. I'm fully in favor of that, & needing a fortress guard to enforce the decisions when the Dwarves not being allowed in throw a fit.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 10:00:11 am »

However this doesn't solve all my problems though. I still have WAY too much trade goods stacking up, the stuff the traders is even more under-valued, and now i've got wall-to-wall food stacking up, with nobody to eat it.

The problem is your farmers are probably legendary by now, so they're planting squares faster with higher stack sizes. Try setting all fields fallow, or growing only rope reed, pig tails, dimple cups and blade weed to make crafts. you need millers threshers, dyers and weavers, and a few clothiers to "sew cloth images". These add a lot of value to existing crafts, and free up the bins holding the cloth.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 11:34:54 am »

The problem is your farmers are probably legendary by now, so they're planting squares faster with higher stack sizes. Try setting all fields fallow, or growing only rope reed, pig tails, dimple cups and blade weed to make crafts. you need millers threshers, dyers and weavers, and a few clothiers to "sew cloth images". These add a lot of value to existing crafts, and free up the bins holding the cloth.

No, the problem is that the game does, in fact, need a lot of balancing. Farming is particularly bad this way.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 11:51:31 am »

Idea:
Trading with the caravan. You get folks who work in the same industry that you sell a lot of.

Selling weapons and armor to the caravan? You get metalsmiths!
Selling elven and goblin shit? You get warriors! **NOTE: This may be hard to figure out. It may just come with population**
Selling *biscuits*? You get cooks and farmers!

etc.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 11:58:01 am »

Idea:
Trading with the caravan. You get folks who work in the same industry that you sell a lot of.

Selling weapons and armor to the caravan? You get metalsmiths!
Selling elven and goblin shit? You get warriors! **NOTE: This may be hard to figure out. It may just come with population**
Selling *biscuits*? You get cooks and farmers!

etc.
Reminds me a bit of the past idea that you can (or are forced to) get trainees that you are expected to train up then return to their Mother Civilisation, or can opt to receive certain professionals for a limited time from which you'd be able to train your locals.  Can't remember when, but this was definitely brought up long before the military Student/Teacher skills, so was a bit off the wall at the time.

Urist McAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 03:15:22 pm »

I vouch for this idea...
We could rather use the outpost liaison and take the import agreement's priority, when the next batch of immigrants arrived, it'd show up a screen like that you get to choose a count, showing the immigrants and their highest skill in a "the (LEVEL) (SKILL) Urist McImmigrant" way.
Otherwise, great idea!
Pages: 1 [2] 3