Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retractable Drawbridge Trap  (Read 2287 times)

GC1CEO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Retractable Drawbridge Trap
« on: April 02, 2011, 08:35:04 pm »

I currently have a multi-level mini fort as my temporary fort (before I work on the megaproject of a large for) and have it set so its surrounded by a cliff drop of many z-levels. I have a bridge spanning the drop for my dwarves and a retractable bridge span in the middle. I want to set it up with pressure plates so that bridge comes out from under invaders..

Suggestions?

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: Retractable Drawbridge Trap
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:39:03 pm »

You could set it so that the bridge retracts directly from the pressure plate's input, but the weight that the PP supports is just over that of a dwarf. Goblins on mounts (which should be heavier than a dwarf) will trigger it-- merchants and their horses might do so as well, though.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

GC1CEO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 08:48:48 pm »

How much of a delay though in footsteps?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 09:45:56 pm »

Pressure plates automagically distinguish between invaders and your dwarves.  When you create a pressure plate, you set it to trigger for invaders only (the default setting) or all creatures.  If you leave it triggering for invaders and then set the minimum weight as low as it will go, it will trigger for all goblins with or without mounts, but not for your dwarves, traders or diplomats.

When you link a pressure plate to a retracting drawbridge, the bridge will retract 100 cycles after the pressure plate is triggered.  How far a creature can walk in 100 cycles varies by creature.  A very fast goblin might be able to move 30 spaces in 100 cycles, but most are slower.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 01:29:13 am »

im going to be working on a bridge, that has a lagrge area underin that is sealed off. when i open the bridge due to inveders, they must go down under, tripping the mgma-flow pressure plates. i then drain the area and recover the minerals
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.