Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modular / Expandable ~ Building in stages  (Read 767 times)

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modular / Expandable ~ Building in stages
« on: April 02, 2011, 08:26:52 pm »

I'm getting miner's block.

I've hit on a nice 'longhouse' design which has been relatively standard (though evolving) in my embarks.

ALAS,
upon it's completion (roughly 1 game-year)
the next step eludes me. I abandon my fortress after some ugly and contrived attempts to build the next big thing. Even my 7-story underground castle got scrapped on account that I built things in the wrong order.

Do you divide your game/build-strategies into stages? What works for you?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Modular / Expandable ~ Building in stages
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:37:27 pm »

I had to stop myself from trying to plan the whole fort out because like you I would always run into some issue or error which caused me to scrap the game. Now my forts grow much more organically and I just do my best to keep it neat and clean. I plan nothing from the start, just building and adapting as I go. I last a lot longer this way before letting a fort die.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 08:54:02 pm »

I dig out a few rooms in the soil, generally enough to maintain a farming operation and keep my dwarves from killing each other. Then I carve out and furnish housing for 200 dwarves, then I start carving out everything else when I'm done with that.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 09:47:35 pm »

I have about 120 rooms made for 170 people, I just feel too lazy to finish the rest. Meanwhile I built a pyramid on my entrance.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 01:01:13 am »

You should instead come up with space-efficient layouts for each separate industry in your fort. If you plan it out top-to-bottom, something's bound to get in the way.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 12:09:59 pm »

I solved my problem.

New embark... on the edge of a terrifying volcano!!!

And I'm restricting myself to dig only basements as mines - directly under my constructions, except in the case where ore seams are found and where 'magma sewers' are required. So far so good, though we'll see, after my immigrant labour arrives.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 12:43:16 pm »

I only ever have 2 z-levels. The lowest soil layer for stockpiles and farms (I prewfer it to be the only soil layer) and the upper stone layer for the rest of the fort. And I don't plan anything of it.