Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Demon Slaying  (Read 9882 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Slaying
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2011, 11:12:18 am »

Make a full-adamantine melee military, danger room them up to Legendary skills. Open up HFS. Enjoy.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2011, 11:15:21 am »

erm we're tryin to do this without any deaths.. yeah..
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2011, 11:34:14 am »

Make a full-adamantine melee military, danger room them up to Legendary skills. Open up HFS. Enjoy.
But then they'll bring back syndromes  :(

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2011, 12:03:35 pm »

erm we're tryin to do this without any deaths.. yeah..
this, basically.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

UristMcDemonSlayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2011, 04:41:14 pm »

I've been trying to figure this out for about a month now, and this is the best solution I've come up with.  The drawbridge on the lower part of the picture, when lowered, caps the HFS. (the entrance to which is right below where the picture cuts off.)  When raised, it blocks off the rest of the fortress.  All twenty floodgates surrounding the middle corridor are linked to the same lever in the main part of the fortress, and the floodgates on either side of the obsidian machine open into drainage pits.  The lever right next to the door at the back of the adapted barracks raises both floodgates to drain the machine (presumable after encasing demons in obsidian) and the two back-to-back levers just above the mini-bridges block off the middle corridor.  The magma comes from the sea on the left, and the water on the right is piped from a brook many z-levels up.

The only problem with it is that the corridor isn't long enough to hold all of the clowns; When I redesigned the middle corridor to be twice as long, the water and magma didn't mix consistently in the middle and stopped up the fortifications on either side (leaving the demons in the middle trapped but un-harmed). 

The first time I used it, it probably got about 80% of what came up the tube.  I built a stairway all the way down to the clown college, but my poor cheese maker got attacked by clowns after that.  I started building walls around the stairway, but it was incredibly slow going - build one or two walls, retreat, kill the one or two clowns, and spend half a year draining the magma/water and cleaning out the obsidian. 

Any suggestions to improve on this design?

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2011, 09:27:08 pm »

would bait artifact doors get them to squeeze into a tighter spot?
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2011, 09:31:51 pm »

combine this exploit with this

it might work.  8)
maybe

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2011, 09:39:33 pm »

combine this exploit with this

it might work.  8)
maybe
xx!!Doors!!xx and xX!!Pig Tail Socks!!Xx tend to not block things for very long. But I know how to get around it  8)

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2011, 10:23:07 pm »

I'm going to try penetrating the spire with fortifications, two filled with the underground ocean, two with the magma sea.

I think I can rain obsidian down on them if I do it right... does the floor tend to be bottomless pit, magma flow, or something that could support an obsidian tower?
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2011, 10:53:34 pm »

I'm going to try penetrating the spire with fortifications, two filled with the underground ocean, two with the magma sea.

I think I can rain obsidian down on them if I do it right... does the floor tend to be bottomless pit, magma flow, or something that could support an obsidian tower?
I think it's slade, with some bottomless pits. It's Russian Roulette at best.

benas424

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSIC_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2011, 02:32:19 pm »

I just got an idea... clowns make heat, right? Heat explodes booze, right? If explosions harm clowns, that would be an awesome defence. Not necessarily efficient, but awesome.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2011, 02:47:16 pm »

I just got an idea... clowns make heat, right? Heat explodes booze, right? If explosions harm clowns, that would be an awesome defence. Not necessarily efficient, but awesome.
Explosions shoot out fire. The clowns are immune to fire...

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2011, 02:56:22 pm »

plus i've never seen evidence that booze really explodes as most people think of it in recent versions.  it actually seems more like a rapid evaporation, with the booze vapor doing no more damage than steam does (i.e., basically none)

Mcducks22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2011, 04:43:09 pm »

I have a plan.

First, dig a vertical shaft down from your fortress straight down to the adamantine shaft. Then, place a block hanging by a single support directly above it. Send a miner in to the shaft, then wall the way up behind him. He will dig out the clowns, and if you did it correctly, they should all fly up the shaft. When most or all of them are in the shaft, release the support and send the rock down, crushing them all!

P.S: This plan will kill the miner. Maybe you could set up some cave-ins to smash through the shaft if you wanted no casualties at all, but sacrificing him/her is way easier.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]