Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Demon Slaying  (Read 9905 times)

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Slaying
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2011, 03:06:14 pm »

Also, how long have demons been able to fly through fortifications? In .19 or so demons would NOT fly through fortifications. (I know because I had a bugged map that let me carve a fortification through a stone wall to look into the side of hell, and none of the 10 or so demons that spawned could fly into my base). Maybe is it an issue of carved vs constructed fortifications?
It could be that you breached the wrong vein. IIRC each map has only one vain that will 'activate' the demons. If you breach the wrong one, the demons will spawn but they will just keep wandering around hell.
That at least happened in my last fortress. I reach the hollow part of the adamantine vain, but the demons would just wait at the bottom of another vain. I could safely build a stair to the bottom without any of them bothering me. Then I tried breaching hell through the vein they were waiting under, and suddenly they all rushed up the two veins to my fortress.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2011, 03:07:53 pm »

Curses, it crashed right after dropping the bomb. Perhaps some demons don't react well to dust?
!!Water Arm!!+Damp Magma Arm=lag.
Not to mention all those pathfinding demons. Even if they die quickly, that'd make a big lagspike.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2011, 03:10:57 pm »

Thing is, not many got caught in the cave-in. Also, the crash happened after the impact, when dust was spreading. Maybe it's those silly gaseous demons that react wonkily to it.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2011, 03:11:36 pm »

Possibly. Or the placeholder ones.

Speaking of the flame demons, didn't TolyK plan to make a weapon mod  with "flame"?
Dwarf Fortress:

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2011, 03:17:02 pm »

Curses, it crashed right after dropping the bomb. Perhaps some demons don't react well to dust?
!!Water Arm!!+Damp Magma Arm=lag.
Not to mention all those pathfinding demons. Even if they die quickly, that'd make a big lagspike.
Yeah...
Lag isn't of consideration here, I have a fanciful, new computer.

But yeah, all of those body parts combined with caveins and such causes lag.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2011, 03:17:53 pm »

Hm. Can you try that with the smaller, 3-5 wave of demons after the first rush? See if that fixes the lag or not.
Dwarf Fortress:

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2011, 03:19:10 pm »

Flame weapons? That'd be pretty cool, if a bit dangerous. I reckon a !!flame sword!! would turn a dorf into a !!swordsdorf!!. :U
Fortunately, i did save right before opening hell, so i have plenty of opportunities to maximize demon death. But the weird thing is that my PC runs at a decent rate, even with 112 dorfs and some dozens of demons, so i find it odd that lag would be the cause.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2011, 03:21:42 pm »

Flame weapons? That'd be pretty cool, if a bit dangerous. I reckon a !!flame sword!! would turn a dorf into a !!swordsdorf!!. :U
Fortunately, i did save right before opening hell, so i have plenty of opportunities to maximize demon death. But the weird thing is that my PC runs at a decent rate, even with 112 dorfs and some dozens of demons, so i find it odd that lag would be the cause.
Plasma cannon must be made! Your beard demands it!

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2011, 03:22:03 pm »

Well, try again with the second wave of  3 or 5 demons. See if that fixes the crash, in which case it's lag, or if it still crashes, in which case it's something weird.
Dwarf Fortress:

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2011, 03:29:57 pm »

Well, it most certainly isn't lag; i got 2 seconds of nicely animated dust before the crash. I did manage to take down a whole page of demons, though. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2011, 03:32:17 pm »

Well, it most certainly isn't lag; i got 2 seconds of nicely animated dust before the crash. I did manage to take down a whole page of demons, though. :P
Going down with a fight, eh?  ;D

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2011, 03:32:34 pm »

Niiiice. Maybe it's just a weird thing. What were the materials of the dead demons this time around? Any gas/flame ones? That might have been the problem.

Also, it might be a bug.
Dwarf Fortress:

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2011, 03:36:18 pm »

Niiiice. Maybe it's just a weird thing. What were the materials of the dead demons this time around? Any gas/flame ones? That might have been the problem.

Also, it might be a bug.
Just wondering, can there be miasma demons? I'd fall over in laughter if I saw a dwarf throw a tantrum over smelling a miasma demon  :P

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2011, 03:40:01 pm »

Never heard of one, but I've heard of vomit/water demons. I dunno. Settle Hell and see for yourself
Dwarf Fortress:

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2011, 03:41:36 pm »

Never heard of one, but I've heard of vomit/water demons. I dunno. Settle Hell and see for yourself
That's what this thread is ultimately for  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9