Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Demon Slaying  (Read 9948 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Slaying
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2011, 09:37:20 am »

Clowns after the first wave act like wild animals.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2011, 09:42:20 am »

Yeah, but 3-5 a day generally still wander up. And it'd be fairly hard to build the thing with the first wave, after all.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2011, 09:48:52 am »

I save-scummed, carved a passage to the surface, and then unleashed the demons. I was planing to let them walk through my entry defenses (lots of steel spike traps!). They got to my entrance (took forever, framerate=0), stood on a steel drawbridge, and started beating down my steel front doors. After finally breaking down the doors, a fire demon (forget the exact name) stepped (flew, whatever) onto a spike trap and exploded into flames. Molten steel everywhere!  :o
Demons can make temperatures hotter than magma? I thought magma safe would not be melted

Yeah, but 3-5 a day generally still wander up. And it'd be fairly hard to build the thing with the first wave, after all.
I think the point is you have a retractable bridge that you open to let the cave-in through then close after the collapse.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:51:08 am by EveryZig »
Soaplent green is goblins!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2011, 09:54:47 am »

These are some ways how I did it/would do it:
a) Long, winding spike hallway with fortifications. Marksdwarves at the sides, ballistae at the back. FIRE!
b) Long, winding spike hallway with bridges to make them path back and forth along the halls.
c) Auto-cavein generator.
d) Hoarde captured FB's and titans, let em loose.
e) Automatic obsidian caster.
f) Underwater do-it-during-winter freezer
g) Set goblin siege to them, then do any of the above.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2011, 09:54:52 am »

^h) Trap them all under a single massive cave-in, as opposed to many smaller ones that would need to be reset.

I save-scummed, carved a passage to the surface, and then unleashed the demons. I was planing to let them walk through my entry defenses (lots of steel spike traps!). They got to my entrance (took forever, framerate=0), stood on a steel drawbridge, and started beating down my steel front doors. After finally breaking down the doors, a fire demon (forget the exact name) stepped (flew, whatever) onto a spike trap and exploded into flames. Molten steel everywhere!  :o
Demons can make temperatures hotter than magma? I thought magma safe would not be melted

The placeholder "flame" material that fire creatures are made of has a fixed temp of 14,000 U. Magma is 12,000 U. Yeah.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2011, 09:58:09 am »

*which is why we need to go adamantine  :D*

h: ehm i dunno
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

iron_general

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2011, 10:43:26 am »

In .18 I stumbled upon an interesting way to deal with demons. I found the spire in this 3rd cavern layer (which I thought was sealed from th rest of the fortress). While mining the adamantine I tried to leave the outer walls intact, when I hit the hollow portion I was able to quanentine the spire. To my surprise the demons had exploited some opening to enter the cavern and after a time the spire was left empty, I think they went after the cavern creatures. I sent a dwarf to properly seal the spire (he walled himself of from the rest of the forteress first).

I also observed that not all demons can mover through fortifications, in my case only those made of steam could (with the temp off they're push-overs). After all this I still had ~15 fps. With this set-up it should be simple to weed out the demons that can move through fortifications. If the fortification is somewhat hidden demons will arrive individually or in small groups that are easily swarmed. Once those that move through fortifications are gone many fortifications could be carved and the rest could be finshed off with marksdwarves.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2011, 10:52:55 am »

...How do you build it before the clowns flood in? It seems like it would work, but be interrupted by daily swarms of clowns+ the first massive surge of them.
Simple, you build it before poking a hole in the spire. If you aren't prepared for it, you're dead anyhow.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2011, 10:58:43 am »

Ah, good point.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2011, 11:12:18 am »

In a related note of cheap demon-related shenanigans, what are your guys' opinions on carving fortifications into the addy tube? *Before breaching it with a tunnel

[Edit:] Do FBs attack demons? (and are demons vulnerable to 'deadly dust' attacks?)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:16:38 am by EveryZig »
Soaplent green is goblins!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2011, 12:11:34 pm »

In a related note of cheap demon-related shenanigans, what are your guys' opinions on carving fortifications into the addy tube? *Before breaching it with a tunnel

[Edit:] Do FBs attack demons? (and are demons vulnerable to 'deadly dust' attacks?)
1.Some demons can fly through fortifications (Fluid and gas), and many can shoot syndromes. So it's pretty pathetic.

2.Not sure, we need some !!SCIENCE!! done.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2011, 12:21:24 pm »

I have many demons clogging up my framerate and so have been thinking about how i could do this. so long hallway, menacing steel/blueness spikes liked to lever on repeat pull with artifact door/floodgate at the end so they cant get past should kill them?
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2011, 12:25:51 pm »

NOT a floodgate.
a raising drawbridge is indestructible when raised.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2011, 12:28:44 pm »

Artifacts are also indestructible.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2011, 12:29:37 pm »

NOT a floodgate.
a raising drawbridge is indestructible when raised.
I thought closed floodgates were considered walls when closed, and therefor indestructible?
And I thought bridges weren't?

Hmm... :-\
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9