Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Demon Slaying  (Read 9910 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Demon Slaying
« on: April 02, 2011, 08:05:14 pm »

I've been wondering about the demons lately. What would be the best way to kill HFS demons, without endangering your dwarves with necrotizing dust blasts? What I thought of was to make a large roofed square over the entrance, and put an obsidian factory there. The demons would be instantly killed, regardless if they are slade blobs. It isn't that good, but it's the best I can think of at the moment. So my fellow dwarves, initiate dwarven ingenuity!

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Slaying
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:08:25 pm »

A room filled with cage traps and blocked off by a very strong door - when the room fills you drop a cave in and all the demons are captured for your zoo.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 08:11:53 pm »

A room filled with cage traps and blocked off by a very strong door - when the room fills you drop a cave in and all the demons are captured for your zoo.
Demons are building destroyer2's; they'd walk right past them all, kick down the door, and then shove a glob of acid up Urist McMechanic's beard.
 :(

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 08:12:40 pm »

Demons are building destroyer2's; they'd walk right past them all, kick down the door, and then shove a glob of acid up Urist McMechanic's beard.

Not an artifact door, and it takes a while to smash a steel door down - I clocked a titan smashing one down for a season.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 08:13:37 pm »

Not an artifact door, and it takes a while to smash a steel door down - I clocked a titan smashing one down for a season.
How long for an Adamantine door?  :D

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 08:16:52 pm »

Can demons drown in water? If not, I suppose atom smashers would do (so long as the demons aren't too big).

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 08:17:14 pm »

The only traps that work against demons are upright spears or spikes attached to a lever. A big single tile wide corridor of 100 traps with 10 menacing steel spikes each will be enough to kill even the biggest force of demons.

And no, demons cannot drown and bridges don't work with them, same as forgotten beasts.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 08:20:01 pm »

Also, they can't be stunned, so cave-ins won't work to cage them. Webs will, though.

I recommend a massive cave-in bomb to just kill them outright..
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 08:21:53 pm »

Can demons drown in water? If not, I suppose atom smashers would do (so long as the demons aren't too big).
They can breath magma and water, they can all fly, and I am not sure if they are too big. I think they're too big. Anyways, this is why I posted this, there isn't a completely obvious way. You can't go outside to reset it, or else you'll bring plague back in. They're building destroyers, so bridges don't help much. Trapavoid doesn't help us either
 :'(

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 08:26:16 pm »

Also, they can't be stunned, so cave-ins won't work to cage them. Webs will, though.

I recommend a massive cave-in bomb to just kill them outright..
I can't go outside to reset it though  :(

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 08:27:42 pm »

Then I'd suggest lots of fortifications and marksdwarves. Have cleaning trenches nearby, so that your dwarves are forced to go through it to get to the fortress proper. You don't spread all the FUN! around, do you? Repeating spike traps are good, but make sure the lever is by the meeting area and that you have plenty of idle dwarves ready to use it (in case someone decides they want a drink during all of the FUN!).

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 08:28:43 pm »

What do you mean, reset? Just trap them all under it and CRUSH.

Also, they are too big for bridges, but bridges are building-destroyer-proof.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 08:29:29 pm »

Then I'd suggest lots of fortifications and marksdwarves. Have cleaning trenches nearby, so that your dwarves are forced to go through it to get to the fortress proper. You don't spread all the FUN! around, do you? Repeating spike traps are good, but make sure the lever is by the meeting area and that you have plenty of idle dwarves ready to use it (in case someone decides they want a drink during all of the FUN!).
I think [trapavoid] would include spikes, but I'm not sure.  :-\

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 08:30:45 pm »

It doesn't. Trapavoiders will get impaled like everyone else.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 08:31:02 pm »

What do you mean, reset? Just trap them all under it and CRUSH.

Also, they are too big for bridges, but bridges are building-destroyer-proof.
They come in waves, so once all of them are dead in one, 20 more show up.  :'(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9