Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windows 7 (Not Responding) Crash/Problem  (Read 977 times)

Detrivus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Windows 7 (Not Responding) Crash/Problem
« on: April 02, 2011, 07:59:45 pm »

Hey guys,

I'm trying to play DF on my desktop which runs Windows 7 Ultimate.  Everything works fine, except when I try to embark (after setting up dwarf skills, items, etc) the OS kills the process because it appears to freeze, when in fact it's in the process of embarking.  Is there a way to suppress this feature of Windows 7, so that I can play the game in peace?

Thanks for reading.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 (Not Responding) Crash/Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:01:26 pm »

I get that too sometimes, and I use Vista. It does it when I embark, when I save, when I abandon, and VEYR RARELY during gameplay. But I just leave it alone and after a few seconds it comes back and works fine. It hasn't done anything but slightly annoy me so far, though.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Detrivus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 08:14:53 pm »

Yeah, it'd be nice if it just did that but it actually kills the program after long enough.  In other words, unless I choose my map as a 2x2 or something restrictive like that, there's no chance I'll get to play before it kills the program.

This seems like a newer feature, as I had no problem playing it on my old machine which ran Windows XP.  Does anyone know a way to prevent this response?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 08:34:04 pm »

Does anyone know a way to prevent this response?

Ask someone at Microsoft?

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 08:36:36 pm »

My W7 computer is screwed up currently, so I haven't had much time to play DF on it, but I've never heard of or seen that kind of crash before... Do you do anything else, like click the window while it's processing? Or is it left alone, and just crashes to desktop immediately?

"Pay hundreds of dollars for a simple upgrade in order to disable this function!"
But seriously, I doubt there's a solution like that. Vista and onward have been involved in the 'not responding' fiasco for a while.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 10:46:21 pm »

My W7 computer is screwed up currently, so I haven't had much time to play DF on it, but I've never heard of or seen that kind of crash before... Do you do anything else, like click the window while it's processing? Or is it left alone, and just crashes to desktop immediately?

"Pay hundreds of dollars for a simple upgrade in order to disable this function!"
But seriously, I doubt there's a solution like that. Vista and onward have been involved in the 'not responding' fiasco for a while.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsdebug/thread/688e4769-9c84-4826-9b01-9e1af0bdeb67

Detrivus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 02:09:41 am »

Hmmm... I followed the instructions but none of those entires appear to be in the registry.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 11:06:50 am »

I just did a quick search and threw up a link. I didn't even read the whole thing. I use an XP64 machine as my main.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 11:14:57 am »

Do you have a Nokia graphics card? That seems to be one of the problems mentioned in the other thread.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Detrivus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 05:02:49 pm »

No to the Nokia graphics card... I've got a Radeon 5770.  I'll try some test embarks and watch more closely, see if I can't get a better idea of what's going on.