Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can you embark with dragons?  (Read 4385 times)

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can you embark with dragons?
« on: April 02, 2011, 07:27:49 pm »

Yeah I know, it's cheating. But I want to try it.

Firstly, I have the text written correctly, I know it's "PET_EXOCTIC) but I typed it in lower caps here.
Secondaly, I generate a new world after every modification I made so I know I'm doing everything right on that end.
Basically, I have the Lazy Newb Pack (latest edition). Firstly, I tried to disable the exotic creatures so I can tame them all easily through the LNP menu. That worked, sort of. I got some new creatures to embark with: bats, crocodiles and so on. I then went to the file the dragons info is stored, disabled the ability to tame them (so exotic creatures were still labled as such), I edited it so they were non-exotic in the file. Didn't work.
So then I tried to add them to "domestic" (I removed them from their normal file, copied it and pasted the text in domestic), changed the tag to pet instead of "pet_exotic"), still no luck. Finally, I left it like that and used the LNP menu to disable exotic animals and still, no luck.

Now for the worst part: I think I really effed it up. I just delete and replace the entire LNP folder (I don't really plan on saving wthe worlds, I'm still learning to play). But... even though there is no error file, I still get some weird reactions with being able to embark with bears or giant bats. Which is not normal, as far as I know. Doesn anyone have advice?
I guess it's to do with the fact they're megabeats or else I need a dungeon master. But... is it possible to start a game with both a male and female dragon, that are tamed?

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
Re: Can you embark with dragons?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 07:32:26 pm »

1: make them [PET]s
2: remove [MEGABEAST] and related tags
3: add [COMMON_DOMESTIC]

That should work.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 07:33:27 pm »

Those "new" animals you can bring in embark? They're located in the biome that dwarves can get animals from. Likewise, if you added [PET_EXOTIC] to cats, they won't be available.
creature_domestic.txt does not magically make anything in it domestic. To do so, you need to add [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to the dragon file. Enjoy your expensive dragons!
(If you want cheap dragons, I suggest reducing the PETVALUE to something manageable, like 500.)
(Slightly ninja'd)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 07:48:33 pm »

1: make them [PET]s
2: remove [MEGABEAST] and related tags
3: add [COMMON_DOMESTIC]

That should work.

Hmm, my memory isn't the best. I forget the file the dragon was originally in but I did as you said and still, no luck.
Below is the text I cut (I saved the original file where I cut the information from) and pasted it in "creature_domestic".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those "new" animals you can bring in embark? They're located in the biome that dwarves can get animals from. Likewise, if you added [PET_EXOTIC] to cats, they won't be available.
creature_domestic.txt does not magically make anything in it domestic. To do so, you need to add [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to the dragon file. Enjoy your expensive dragons!
(If you want cheap dragons, I suggest reducing the PETVALUE to something manageable, like 500.)
(Slightly ninja'd)

Is there a way to see what animals are available by what areas? Also, assuming I do bring a grizzly bear along, it'll be completely domesticated (as in, I can just shove it somewear and it won't turn against my dwarves?).

Okay, going off topic for a moment :P.

Is there a trick to understand biomes? I mean, I see "F1, F2, F3, F4" but while they do differ, I can't really understand where I'll start. I think I'll be in a "temperate" biome but end up in snow and cold. Also, I see people being able to tell if there are certain stones there. The best I know is to use the prospector utility but that can be used only after I've embarked and am arleady controlling my dwarves.

And lads, thanks for the help thus far. The game is flipping complicated beyond belief.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 07:54:28 pm »

(Slightly ninja'd)

Is there a way to see what animals are available by what areas? Also, assuming I do bring a grizzly bear along, it'll be completely domesticated (as in, I can just shove it somewhere and it won't turn against my dwarves?).

Is there a trick to understand biomes? I mean, I see "F1, F2, F3, F4" but while they do differ, I can't really understand where I'll start. I think I'll be in a "temperate" biome but end up in snow and cold. Also, I see people being able to tell if there are certain stones there. The best I know is to use the prospector utility but that can be used only after I've embarked and am already controlling my dwarves.

And lads, thanks for the help thus far. The game is flipping complicated beyond belief.
For the first one: Any animal purchased on embark is completely tame.
For the biomes: Pressing F1, F2, etc. will cycle through the different biomes. Temperate biomes start in snow and ice, but will thaw. Checking to see if there is "Flux stone" on the the list(Along with little soil, deep soil, aquifer, etc) will help indicate what types of stones you can expect.
(PS:The [COMMON_DOMESTIC] in the file is {COMMON_DOMESTIC] currently. Might want to change that.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 07:58:02 pm »

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 08:13:42 pm »

(Slightly ninja'd)

I changed it to the proper format "[Common_DOMESTIC] but still, it didn't make a difference.
Okay, I'm starting to understand the biomes but what do the different ones mean, exactly? If I see "F1 = cold" and F2 = temperate", what can I expect? I understand it will be cold and thaw but what exactly is the different biomes by the "F1, F2, etc keys" telling me? I understand how the biomes work but what I mean is, how do the two different biomes work? Does one take care of winter and another summer? Or is it something else? Or is just that I can expect things in both a tempereate and winter-like biome? As in, I get the benefits and problems of having both biomes when I embark?

Is there a way to see what animals are available by what areas? Also, assuming I do bring a grizzly bear along, it'll be completely domesticated (as in, I can just shove it somewhere and it won't turn against my dwarves?).

Is there a trick to understand biomes? I mean, I see "F1, F2, F3, F4" but while they do differ, I can't really understand where I'll start. I think I'll be in a "temperate" biome but end up in snow and cold. Also, I see people being able to tell if there are certain stones there. The best I know is to use the prospector utility but that can be used only after I've embarked and am already controlling my dwarves.

For the first one: Any animal purchased on embark is completely tame.
For the biomes: Pressing F1, F2, etc. will cycle through the different biomes. Temperate biomes start in snow and ice, but will thaw. Checking to see if there is "Flux stone" on the the list(Along with little soil, deep soil, aquifer, etc) will help indicate what types of stones you can expect.
(PS:The [COMMON_DOMESTIC] in the file is {COMMON_DOMESTIC] currently. Might want to change that.

Steele link, I did as you advised but still, no luck.
If it matters, I moved the text to "domestic_animals" file.

I still can't see it, at all (as in the embark menu, I can't see anything to do with dragons).

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 09:06:15 pm »

That was a pain to figure out.. Seems the biome tag was the problem. Maybe you can't embark with creatures having ANY_LAND or ALL_MAIN..

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 09:11:40 pm »

That was a pain to figure out.. Seems the biome tag was the problem. Maybe you can't embark with creatures having ANY_LAND or ALL_MAIN..

Son of a gun, still not working.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, completely. Let's say I get a new copy of DF and just have it downloaded. What file do I edit, exactly? And thank you, I know modding can take a long time. Really, thank you for your help.

Great! I unzipped it all again and changed the file so I can start with the dragons! But... I don't seem to have my other creature options like bears or bats, even though I'm starting in the same type of biomes.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 09:18:18 pm by dmurray »

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 09:19:51 pm »

Did you generate a new world?

If so, try this. Make a new text file in your raw\objects folder, name it creature_dragon_domestic.txt

Copy and paste the following into it, save, generate a new world and test.

Edit: Whoops, too late.
Your new problem I'm not quite sure of.. Did you make any changes to any other files in the raw folder before reinstalling? (I assume that's what you meant by unzipping it all again.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 09:23:31 pm by Steele »

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 09:25:13 pm »

Ninjas! Everywhere!
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 09:27:02 pm »

Hey, I just edited the old post. Firstly, I did do exactly as you said. Except I removed the dragon entry from "creature_standard" and moved it to "creature_domestic". It never worked. So I deleted the folders and copied the LNP files again to the desktop and replaced the entry in "creature_standard" and it worked fine but... all my other creatures are gone like bears, eagles, and so on. I like that I can embark with dragons but I liked starting with a mini-zoo.

Again, thank you for your help but I'm very confused as to how to enable bears, tigers, lions and so on for my embarking (points won't matter, I can freeze those). I used the same thing as before by selecting "no" to exotic animals in the LNP menu. But even though I was in the same biomes as before, I can't see my bears. I can see bats are selectable but not bears or tigers.

But thank you for finally letting me tame dragons to start with. :D

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 09:33:22 pm »

Did you change the PET_EXOTIC tags back to PET?

Edit 1: Nevermind, I'm unfamiliar with LNP and didn't realize that was already an option.

Edit 2: Might be worth looking at the raw data for these missing embark creatures anyway, see if the tags really were removed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 09:38:34 pm by Steele »

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 09:36:53 pm »

Did you change the PET_EXOTIC tags back to PET?

I'm a bit confused here. In the LNP, you have the standard GUI and it gives an option to change "Exoctic Animals" to "no", so I can tame them. Now, after copying your text, I can embark with animals without a problem. I can also embark with crocodiles, bats and the likes but no lions, tigers or eagles or even bears. Before I was able to but I don't know what changed now since I never did modding on that set of files (beyond my attempt at moving the file for a dragon). So techincally speaking, I should get the same things.

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 09:43:05 pm »

Okay, paste the first two entries found in creature_large_temperate.txt. Should be the grizzly bear and black bear.
Pages: [1] 2