Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with goblin cages?  (Read 890 times)

DinnerAdventure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with goblin cages?
« on: April 02, 2011, 05:55:55 pm »

My animal stockpile has a goblin in a cage. I think I got it from the cage traps in front of my fortress. The question is, what do I do with this guy, and how do I do it?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with goblin cages?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 06:04:17 pm »

Lock your soldiers in a room. Pit the goblin into the room. Watch as they train with the goblin!

Obtain a GCS. Pit the gobbo in WITH the GCS. Watch the educational experience of a giant spider eating vertebrate prey! *safety not included. Please ask your Dungeon Master for further details. For bonus points, pull a lever that leads to an escape route where an elven caravan is at a trade depot. Set up cage traps to recover GCSs and/or Gobbo beforehand. Should gobbo have survived, repeat next spring.

From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

DinnerAdventure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 06:13:50 pm »

How do I pit the goblin in a room and relase it? Or make the soldiers train with it?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 06:42:43 pm »

You need to designate a pit. Use the stockpiles menu, designate an area as a pit. The area you designate needs to be a hole above the area where you plan to pit the oblin. Once that is done, select the goblin in hs cage and pit him.
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 07:35:17 pm »

How do I pit the goblin in a room and relase it? Or make the soldiers train with it?

I find pits trouiblesome and always forget to check if they're a thief gobbo, as these guys always manage to escape.

I build the cage (b - j from memory) inside my military area.
Then attach it to a lever, which is OUTSIDE the barracks.
Lock the doors, release the gobbo with the military. Free training! (Also very effective)

The one thing you might want to do, at least th first dozen times is use mass forbidding and dumping to get all the goblins weapons and/or armor off. (d-b-d for dumping, d-b-c to claim the items)

After a few 'training exercises', leave the armor on the goblin. After a few more, (And if you have a decent hospital) leave his weapon on too.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 12:42:35 am »

Be warned that a goblin master thief can get through even locked doors. I like using bridges to make sure they are contained.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 12:49:10 am »

Im building a pit over warm stone. The prisoners (and their pets) will be pitted into the pit before doors are opened to allow water in. When the water comes in contact with the stone it *should* boil. Hilarity ensues.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 04:06:04 am »

I prefer mass-pitting.

- Build a room with every open space directly next to a 1x1 pit (not diagonally, directly next to the pit)
- Make the 1x1 pits at least 12Z deep
- Place lots of expensive statues (Blood for the Blood God) in the lower room
- Put hatch covers over every pit opening
- Stretch a single zone across all openings, make it a pit
- Stretch an animal stockpile across the entire upper room, trim any squares not directly next to a pit, only allow filled cages and turn off any tame / domestic animals and dwarves
- Place cage traps at the exit of the upper and lower room to catch runners

I generally set that up when I hit 80 dwarves, to prepare for the siege guests.  My current design is 19 pits and 45 stockpile tiles and it's a nice round looking chamber when smoothed.

Pitting procedure:
- Forbid the door into the lower room
- Move at least 2 squads of military into the chamber (10 dwarves)
- Using the zone menu, go into the "P" pitting screen and start selecting miscreants
- Try to do the thieves one at a time
- Unforbid lower door, collect goblinite from bottom room

If the animal stockpile tiles are directly next to the pit openings, I only see a thief try to escape about 25% of the time.  In which case, either the military squad(s) gang up on it, or it traps itself as it tries to flee the room.

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 01:52:22 pm »

I usually strip them and use them to get titles for any interesting tame animals / nobles / other dwarves of interest.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 02:36:19 pm »

If you build the cage and Dump the tile, your dwarves will strip the prisoner. So do that, attach it to a lever, and stick some military guys in the room. Alternatively, flood the room. Then open the cage and watch the fun.

Points awarded if the goblin strangles any of your dwarves or swims out.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 03:10:41 pm »

Only problem with building the cgae is that you can't specify which cage...or more likely, I just forgot how in my loonnngg hiatus from DF.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 03:35:35 pm »

Only problem with building the cgae is that you can't specify which cage...or more likely, I just forgot how in my loonnngg hiatus from DF.
Use x to expand the list. It'll show whats in each of them (or "shared" if there's more than one). Vermin cages still need to be examined.